Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Another silly deadlift question! (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3069)

sneezingstardust 04-28-2010 10:58 AM

Another silly deadlift question!

I could start a novel with these :cool:

So, when you guys are building up strength for deadlifts...do you think it's more beneficial to deadlift every week, or to alternate deadlifts with rack pulls?

BendtheBar 04-28-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneezingstardust (Post 51884)
I could start a novel with these :cool:

So, when you guys are building up strength for deadlifts...do you think it's more beneficial to deadlift every week, or to alternate deadlifts with rack pulls?

Some find rack pulls to be limited in their carry over for deads. And for some, deadlifting every week might not be the best way to go. I have a buddy that uses Westside and he rarely deadlifts...he trains good mornings and box squats primarily for his deadlift.

I think you can go either way depending on your body, but if you can get away with deadlifting less, then I would do it. I don't want this to sound like an anti-deadlift post. It's just that some people don't handle frequent heavy deadlifting as well as others.

Maybe you could try deadlifts one week, and wide stance good mornings, front squats and zerchers the next...or something like this. You could also add in speed work on "off" weeks where you aren't lifting heavy.

I've actually been thinking about deadlifting less myself, and having a day where I do:

Good Mornings
Speed Deadlifts
Front Squats
RDLs
Heavy abs

Anyway. I'm sure there are many other creative ways to crack this egg, so to speak.

sneezingstardust 04-28-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 51885)
Some find rack pulls to be limited in their carry over for deads. And for some, deadlifting every week might not be the best way to go. I have a buddy that uses Westside and he rarely deadlifts...he trains good mornings and box squats primarily for his deadlift.

I think you can go either way depending on your body, but if you can get away with deadlifting less, then I would do it. I don't want this to sound like an anti-deadlift post. It's just that some people don't handle frequent heavy deadlifting as well as others.

Maybe you could try deadlifts one week, and wide stance good mornings, front squats and zerchers the next...or something like this. You could also add in speed work on "off" weeks where you aren't lifting heavy.

I've actually been thinking about deadlifting less myself, and having a day where I do:

Good Mornings
Speed Deadlifts
Front Squats
RDLs
Heavy abs

Anyway. I'm sure there are many other creative ways to crack this egg, so to speak.

I haven't done good mornings in awhile, they seem to be really uncomfortable for my back, but that's just a preference. I always feel like the bar is going to roll forward onto my neck, haha. (even though I know it won't). Mental block, I guess. I may start doing them more in the future, we'll see.

I'm just looking for some new ideas. :)

BendtheBar 04-28-2010 12:03 PM

Were you doing the powerlifting style good mornings? I don't get near to parallel on them. :)

ricka182 04-28-2010 12:50 PM

I'm going to look it up, so don't answer for me...but all I'm thinking is..What the hell is a Good Morning? I've heard, and I think I know..but I want to be sure..

As for the original question...I'm still a newb to DLs, and only do them once a week for now, using heavy as possible.. I was thinking of doing them with light weights 2x a week, but I want better core strength, and I figure 6-8 weeks of heavy ass DLs should help, at least for now..:march:

EDIT: Just checked Wiki and ExRx...GMs look tough, and I don't think I have the room to do them in my micro-gym...but I will try with a real light weight just to get form and rom figured out...

sneezingstardust 04-28-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 51890)
Were you doing the powerlifting style good mornings? I don't get near to parallel on them. :)

I guess not then. I was going to parallel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricka182 (Post 51898)
I'm going to look it up, so don't answer for me...but all I'm thinking is..What the hell is a Good Morning? I've heard, and I think I know..but I want to be sure..

As for the original question...I'm still a newb to DLs, and only do them once a week for now, using heavy as possible.. I was thinking of doing them with light weights 2x a week, but I want better core strength, and I figure 6-8 weeks of heavy ass DLs should help, at least for now..:march:

EDIT: Just checked Wiki and ExRx...GMs look tough, and I don't think I have the room to do them in my micro-gym...but I will try with a real light weight just to get form and rom figured out...

I may do rack pulls this week, for the main reason that my glutes/hammies are still sore from Monday, and I'm training hammies again on Friday...just to sort of rest it up, hit my upper back hard, and then go back to deadlifts next week.

BendtheBar 04-28-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricka182 (Post 51898)

We are starting to add exercises to our exercise section:

Exercises Bodybuilding and Powerlifting - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

MAB's Good Mornings page is here:

Good Mornings Exercise Instruction and Video - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

...I know you already checked out good mornings, but I wanted to bring it up for future reference.

Grim83 04-28-2010 01:44 PM

I found personally that once i reached about 280 or so i cant deadlift on a regular basis and hit anywhere near my max. but Cleans make for a great crossover for me, plus you get a lot of speed work with them

kman025 04-28-2010 03:11 PM

i agree with Grim's point.

i used to DL twice or even three times a week.... i could never do that now.

once i hit 315 or so, i couldnt do this at all.

I also agree with BTB. I squat 3-4(occasionally more) times a week. I can do this with no problem, but i cant DL more than once a week. If i DL once my back is ****ed up and it messes with my squatting. therefore i only DL once every two weeks real heavy.

I would DL one week and rack pull the next like you said. another thing i'm trying now (just started) is using band. I think sense it gets rid of the weight at the bottom it makes it less taxign.... not sure if true, but going to try it out.

basically if your assistance work and squats go up, your DL will tag along IMO

BendtheBar 04-28-2010 03:53 PM

I really walk the fine line with deadlifts. Once a week is butter, but too much lower back work on top of that and I'm bent over for a week.