Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I really walk the fine line with deadlifts. Once a week is butter, but too much lower back work on top of that and I'm bent over for a week.
If i deadlift every week i can get about 280-290 max, if i do it every 3-4weeks i can set a new pr
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

I cycle the volume of deadlifts.
Example week one = shooting for 1-2 rp max effort
week two = high reps with about 100 pounds less

I think deadlifting more than once a week is overboard for 90% of people.

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezingstardust View Post
I could start a novel with these

So, when you guys are building up strength for deadlifts...do you think it's more beneficial to deadlift every week, or to alternate deadlifts with rack pulls?
Like I mentioned in your training journal, yesterday, Brad Gillingham has an excellent deadlift program which delivers PRs by alternating full ROM deadlifts from the floor and partial deadlifts in the rack, week by week. In my most humble opinion, it works VERY well. However, that's not to say it's always better than doing the deadlift every week. It will vary with the individual. If you, specifically, think your muscles (mostly posterior chain - lower back, glutes, and hams) and nervous system are getting too fatigued from pulling off the floor every week, then it's time to do partials (both under and over the knee) in the rack every other week. Also, another reason the latter method (deadlift and rack pull, alternated) is beneficial is because it hammers the lockout which is a problem for many lifters, myself included.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #14
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Simple answer. If your upper back rounds when you deadlift, then you alternate in rack pulls to strengthened your back so that it doesn't. If your have no problem deadlifting and it feels fine, you deadlift each weak. The 3 main stages of a training plan should be :

1.Establish a goal; whether it be a competition, lift or set of lifts you want to excel in, and give your self time to complete that goal, (6weeks to 3 months)
This chooses what main exercises you will do, i.e. Deadlifts.

2. Find your strengths, fix your weakness',refine your technique.
This defines your assistance movements as well as whether or not you need to get bigger, faster or just plain stronger.

3.Should be simple enough for you to understand what your doing, and why your doing it. This means you really need to know your body and closely analyze what types of training splits, days, frequency and volume is right for you,once you factor in your prior frequency.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
If your upper back rounds when you deadlift, then you alternate in rack pulls to strengthened your back so that it doesn't.
Thoughts on good mornings for the back rounding issue?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for all the input, guys. This helped very much
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
SquatMax
Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4 Points: 227, Level: 4

SquatMax is off to a bad start

good afternoon,

I"ll bite... what's a 'powerlifting good morning'??? I've learned to do and like good mornings... but I don't know that variation...

help?

have a great day,

Stats:

Chest: 55.5 Squat: 475
Waist: 43.5 Bench: 455
Biceps: 19.25 Dead : 495
Quads: 29.5
Weight: 318 down to 274

"Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live... "

-- Marcus Aurelius

"The sense of superiority in bodily strength is borne out by the long history of mankind paying homage in folklore, song and poetry to strong men".

--Fred Hatfield -- Powerlifting : A Scientific Approach
SquatMax is offline   Reply With Quote