Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Improving Eccentric Squat Strength (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2981)

BendtheBar 04-20-2010 08:00 PM

Improving Eccentric Squat Strength

Any thoughts on improving descent strength?

Coming up is butter for me. Going down is the hard part.

Any thoughts on adding heavy negatives? It would be a pain to load and reset but I'm willing to try anything.

My squat rack doesn't allow partials which rules them out.

kman025 04-20-2010 08:15 PM

crap.... i was going to say partials

i wonder if reverse band squats would help.... but i guess you cant do these either?

BendtheBar 04-20-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 49843)
crap.... i was going to say partials

i wonder if reverse band squats would help.... but i guess you cant do these either?

I could do partials about 6 to 8 inches higher then squats. But really no higher.

Mombow111 04-20-2010 09:18 PM

Find 2 small-medium sized children and have them hang from the bar while you descend then drop off once you've reached the end of your negative.

BendtheBar 04-20-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mombow111 (Post 49871)
Find 2 small-medium sized children and have them hang from the bar while you descend then drop off once you've reached the end of your negative.

This makes me realize that maybe chains are the answer. Heavy at top, lighter at the bottom.

jwood 04-20-2010 09:25 PM

BTB, you are making me rethink my decision of getting a sumo rack, I wanted to train at home so I could do crazy stuff like partial squats, but ill have to rethink that. If only my mom would let me put a powerrack in the garage.

I think heavy partials would be the best thing to help your descent, or maybe more high box squats.

What about low box squats?

Mombow111 04-20-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 49874)
This makes me realize that maybe chains are the answer. Heavy at top, lighter at the bottom.

YES! And you could hold the chains in your mouth!!

ehubbard 04-21-2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 49876)
BTB, you are making me rethink my decision of getting a sumo rack, I wanted to train at home so I could do crazy stuff like partial squats, but ill have to rethink that. If only my mom would let me put a powerrack in the garage.

I think heavy partials would be the best thing to help your descent, or maybe more high box squats.

What about low box squats?

Don't get a sumo rack. Spend money on two important things, a good power rack and a good power bar. If money is an issue, NYBB sells a decent rack for around 300, the only issue is that you may need to elevate it on blocks if you want to go wide stance. Or you can just get one of those cheap Powerline racks from Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, etc. They are around 300 bucks delivered. I spent the 900 bucks (including shipping) and got an EFS 2x2 rack that will never need to be replaced. That's what I would suggest to anyone who is serious about training.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 49840)
Any thoughts on improving descent strength?

Coming up is butter for me. Going down is the hard part.

Any thoughts on adding heavy negatives? It would be a pain to load and reset but I'm willing to try anything.

My squat rack doesn't allow partials which rules them out.

I'm not sure I understand how going down is hard. Do you mean it is hard for you to reach depth? Tight hamstrongs? No confidence descending with heavy weight?

Negatives are just that. Negative.

BendtheBar 04-21-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehubbard (Post 49913)

I'm not sure I understand how going down is hard. Do you mean it is hard for you to reach depth? Tight hamstrongs? No confidence descending with heavy weight?

Negatives are just that. Negative.

Depth is not an issue.

The eccentric portion of the movement is more challenging from a strength standpoint for me then the concentric. It's not a confidence issue. I just don't feel completely in control of the burden of the weight.

Last year my max was 400. Lowering 360 I didn't have to think. 460 is unsteady, unbalanced, and a weak descent. I do not feel anywhere near as in control on the descent with 460.

I feel weak and want to strengthen my control of the descent. I could probably squat over 500 if I could better control 500+. I feel like I did the first time I lifted weights, shaky and unbalanced.

Maybe it's simply a CNS issue. Maybe I need to wait for my tendons and stabilizers to strengthen. Not sure what the driving issue is.

All I know is that on 410+ squats, the weight controls me during the eccentric aspect of the lift. I want to control it. I do not like feeling like I'm driving at 200 mph with no brakes, if that makes sense.

The concentric lift? Butter. I feel strong.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeremy...regarding the sumo squat rack....because one side is shorter, the pins only go up to 10 hols on that side. ATG I bottom out around pin 7. So the sumo squat rack leaves you 4 to 6 inches to play with for partials.

Definitely not the rack you want for partials.

ehubbard 04-21-2010 07:55 AM

BTB-

How often do you do abs?

How how often do you train lower back?

Stability issues is usually a core weakness. I would hammer your abs and lower back like crazy. If you have issues unracking 500 lbs, you should tread lightly adding in gear to play it safe (especially in that rack and especially walking it out). You could also try some of the stability work that they are doing at Lexen Extreme. Hanging chains or weight from the bar so that it is not touching the floor. Just start light and build up. Also, its hard to tell from your grainy Zapruder film lifting vids :) but are you staying tight? Flex the lats and upper back, fill the diaphragm with air, unrack, walk it out and take another deep breath and squat.