Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default Start of a home gym

Now my bday is the 29th of this month. I will be 19. I was offered to pick anything in the range of 200 dollars and it will be paid for. I will be getting more than this as birthday money but the 200 dollars is any gift in that range that i pick. I just want some ideas of what i should buy. Im still debating of if im going to start a home gym or use the gym membership. I just wanted some ideas.
I currently only have 100 lbs. of weights and a bench. I have a bar but im gonna get a new one.

Even if i use my gym membership for awhile longer i just wanted some ideas.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Shaolinkiwi
Ground Zero Training
Max Brawn
Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35 Points: 3,328, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Shaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributorShaolinkiwi is a dedicated contributor

Comes down to what environment you like to train in. Some ppl are fine at home and prefer the solo use of equipment.

Myself I like the gym. Gives me somewhere to go and out of the house. Plus they have way more equipment than I can ever pack in at home.

Plus you may get too look at hot chicks that will motivate you while training.

T-Alpha Log - CURRENT
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sup...alpha-log.html

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me 1500+! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Shaolinkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi View Post
Comes down to what environment you like to train in. Some ppl are fine at home and prefer the solo use of equipment.

Myself I like the gym. Gives me somewhere to go and out of the house. Plus they have way more equipment than I can ever pack in at home.

Plus you may get too look at hot chicks that will motivate you while training.
All reasons why the gym membership will probably go on to another year then i may start workin on a home gym i just wanted ideas
Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

personally i would get a 300ib olympic set, after that get a sumo rack and then your set
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

you never get you money back out if you sell used equipment. I know I used to have a commercial gym in my basement. But one way to look at it is the gym membership is up you have a good body but nothing other than that. you have to re up it.

Home equipment you always have it.

I wish I has a home gym again but ya it is fun working out at a gym to, I do now. All depends on your gym, do you have to wait for equipment? Do you get stopped with jaw jackers? If you do then home equipment would probably be way to go.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Grim83
Max Brawn

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
you never get you money back out if you sell used equipment. I know I used to have a commercial gym in my basement. But one way to look at it is the gym membership is up you have a good body but nothing other than that. you have to re up it.

I wish I has a home gym again but ya it is fun working out at a gym to, I do now. All depends on your gym, do you have to wait for equipment? Do you get stopped with jaw jackers? If you do then home equipment would probably be way to go.
well assuming there arent any special needs then a barbell and bench are perfect for most, personally i still think almost all the fancy machines should be melted down and made into something useful, i mean if i was able to build my dream home gym id only have a bar, alot of weight, a bench, a power rack, a cable machine, and maybe a few other things like glute ham raise bench, i dont like nor need much else

No Bullshit no problems

Old 04-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
well assuming there arent any special needs then a barbell and bench are perfect for most, personally i still think almost all the fancy machines should be melted down and made into something useful, i mean if i was able to build my dream home gym id only have a bar, alot of weight, a bench, a power rack, a cable machine, and maybe a few other things like glute ham raise bench, i dont like nor need much else
I agree 100% Thats why I just did 2 smith machines (1 with lat pull down and fly, one could use free bar ) 2 benches (1 with extension and curl )

Db's threw 100lbs, 1000 lbs in plates and assortment of bars.

What I meant by commercial grade was the equipment was all commercial grade.

I'm bad a wording things.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post

well the tards sitting in the squat racks doing endless curls sort of get in the way. What's a good squat rack brand
Old 04-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Grim83
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
well the tards sitting in the squat racks doing endless curls sort of get in the way. What's a good squat rack brand
really couldnt say, btb has a sumo that is about $400-500 and is solid as hell, he already squated 500 in it

No Bullshit no problems

Old 04-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i have both.....i like to have my bench and rack at home with 500lbs of weights with full stereo sound at whatever volume i choose but i also like the atmosphere around all the big powerlifters and the use of 10,000 sq ft of equipment.

if you do choose to buy some home gym stuff the first i would say is a squat rack. has many uses over just a bench. and if so check craigs list fo sho. you can always find something almost new that someone bought and thought they would use and you can take it off their hands at half price.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote