Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Start of a home gym (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2889)

CoopDawg 04-14-2010 10:07 PM

Start of a home gym
 
Now my bday is the 29th of this month. I will be 19. I was offered to pick anything in the range of 200 dollars and it will be paid for. I will be getting more than this as birthday money but the 200 dollars is any gift in that range that i pick. I just want some ideas of what i should buy. Im still debating of if im going to start a home gym or use the gym membership. I just wanted some ideas.
I currently only have 100 lbs. of weights and a bench. I have a bar but im gonna get a new one.

Even if i use my gym membership for awhile longer i just wanted some ideas.

Shaolinkiwi 04-14-2010 10:14 PM

Comes down to what environment you like to train in. Some ppl are fine at home and prefer the solo use of equipment.

Myself I like the gym. Gives me somewhere to go and out of the house. Plus they have way more equipment than I can ever pack in at home.

Plus you may get too look at hot chicks that will motivate you while training.

CoopDawg 04-14-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi (Post 48171)
Comes down to what environment you like to train in. Some ppl are fine at home and prefer the solo use of equipment.

Myself I like the gym. Gives me somewhere to go and out of the house. Plus they have way more equipment than I can ever pack in at home.

Plus you may get too look at hot chicks that will motivate you while training.

All reasons why the gym membership will probably go on to another year then i may start workin on a home gym i just wanted ideas

jslep 04-14-2010 10:20 PM

i have both.....i like to have my bench and rack at home with 500lbs of weights with full stereo sound at whatever volume i choose but i also like the atmosphere around all the big powerlifters and the use of 10,000 sq ft of equipment.

if you do choose to buy some home gym stuff the first i would say is a squat rack. has many uses over just a bench. and if so check craigs list fo sho. you can always find something almost new that someone bought and thought they would use and you can take it off their hands at half price.

Grim83 04-14-2010 10:22 PM

personally i would get a 300ib olympic set, after that get a sumo rack and then your set

CoopDawg 04-14-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 48175)
i have both.....i like to have my bench and rack at home with 500lbs of weights with full stereo sound at whatever volume i choose but i also like the atmosphere around all the big powerlifters and the use of 10,000 sq ft of equipment.

if you do choose to buy some home gym stuff the first i would say is a squat rack. has many uses over just a bench. and if so check craigs list fo sho. you can always find something almost new that someone bought and thought they would use and you can take it off their hands at half price.

what brand squat rack you reccomend

Rich Knapp 04-14-2010 10:24 PM

you never get you money back out if you sell used equipment. I know I used to have a commercial gym in my basement. But one way to look at it is the gym membership is up you have a good body but nothing other than that. you have to re up it.

Home equipment you always have it.

I wish I has a home gym again but ya it is fun working out at a gym to, I do now. All depends on your gym, do you have to wait for equipment? Do you get stopped with jaw jackers? If you do then home equipment would probably be way to go.

jslep 04-14-2010 10:26 PM

squat rack can come with 300lbs and bench and possibly lat pull attachment. i bought mine for $275 at sam's club. my bench i bought with weights from someone on craigslist for 75.

Grim83 04-14-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 48178)
you never get you money back out if you sell used equipment. I know I used to have a commercial gym in my basement. But one way to look at it is the gym membership is up you have a good body but nothing other than that. you have to re up it.

Home equipment you always have it.

I wish I has a home gym again but ya it is fun working out at a gym to, I do now. All depends on your gym, do you have to wait for equipment? Do you get stopped with jaw jackers? If you do then home equipment would probably be way to go.

well assuming there arent any special needs then a barbell and bench are perfect for most, personally i still think almost all the fancy machines should be melted down and made into something useful, i mean if i was able to build my dream home gym id only have a bar, alot of weight, a bench, a power rack, a cable machine, and maybe a few other things like glute ham raise bench, i dont like nor need much else

CoopDawg 04-14-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 48178)
you never get you money back out if you sell used equipment. I know I used to have a commercial gym in my basement. But one way to look at it is the gym membership is up you have a good body but nothing other than that. you have to re up it.

Home equipment you always have it.

I wish I has a home gym again but ya it is fun working out at a gym to, I do now. All depends on your gym, do you have to wait for equipment? Do you get stopped with jaw jackers? If you do then home equipment would probably be way to go.

well the tards sitting in the squat racks doing endless curls sort of get in the way. What's a good squat rack brand


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.