Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default the key to a good bulk

Can one of the moderators make this a STICKY i want to keep adding to it as i learn more.

First off Im no proffesional (as you all know) im also no bodybuilder. I just felt like writing something informational that people may enjoy reading about bulking. I hope this wasnt supposed to be in nutrition instead of here if so im sorry.

First off a bulk is used to gain the weight faster than just eating and lifting. There are many forms of bulking which i will get to later. A bulk is usually used to reach a goal weight and then cut off all the fat that was gained. Everyone thinks they eat like a horse and dont gain weight. A BIG BAG OF DORITOS IS NOT EATING LIKE A HORSE. Now there are dirty and clean bulks. A clean bulk is basically wholesome and lots of good foods and maybe 10% food such as mc donalds. Then there is the dirty bulk which is usually eat everything in site.

Now i would like to post a good way some people can gain weight. It's called GOMAD-GALLON OF MILK A DAY. This is not for the faint hearted. Its just one of the many things that can be found with the proper research of bulking. THis method actually gained somebody 25 pounds in 25 days.

A GOOD SEARCH AND TRUE INTEREST IN GETTING BIGGER WILL HELP ALOT.

Now most people think eat all healthy foods on a bulk but i know some people that agree if the calories you need cant be provided at that moment then go get some double cheeseburgers but this is everyone opinion.The way we bulk depends on how much we want to gain. Now i said eating mc donalds is okay but......Do not do this ever meal or there will be alot of belly fat. Here are a list of some good bulking food
PEANUT BUTTER
PASTA
DARK CHOCOLATE
PEANUTS
ALMONDS
MILK
BROWN RICE
COTTAGE CHEESE
i almost forgot. NO WEIGHT GAINER SUPPLEMENT CAN DO ANYTHING WITHOUT A GOOD DIET. They "SUPPLEMENT" A good diet and training program.
I would like to post a nice bulking shake i wish i knew who originally created this shake i would give him the credit.

BAKO SHAKE:
2,500 calories / 100g of protein

1 cup peanut butter
3.5 cups milk
1 cup vanilla ice cream
2 tbsp olive oil

YEAH I MAY BE RAGGED FOR HOW BIG THIS IS LOL.

And here is a nice protein bar recipe and its dam good.

Meal Replacement Bars ("Bulking")

Combine in large mixing bowl:

3 Cups Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Natural Peanut butter
1 cup Skim Milk
4 Scoops Protein Powder
dash of cinnamon
Mix until a sticky batter is formed (may take a few minutes)
use a large spoon to spread out the mix into the bottom of a Pam-sprayed glass or metal cooking tray (spread until even)
top with 4-8 packets splenda
put in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 equal bars that yield:

11g fat (good monounsaturated fats)
26g carbs
21g protein
285 calories

Now this is in NO WAY IN HELL DONE. i will keep adding because the adding weight question is one of the bigger questions around today.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Anyone can pm me with any questions concerning anything if i cant answer i will get you someone who can, I WIL BE GLAD TO HELP
Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

I love homemade weightgainer shakes. But 1 cup of peanut butter? Holy crap. that's a lot of pb
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkout35 View Post
I love homemade weightgainer shakes. But 1 cup of peanut butter? Holy crap. that's a lot of pb
Trust me i know lol and that much pb starts costin money but its a quick good shake
Old 04-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Not to strike down what you've started, but the bako shake and the gomad are more likely to make guys fatter. That's a lot of calories and a lot of sugar.

Although people much smarter than I, such as Dante Trudell and Massive G from DC training/Trueprotein, say if you weigh 180 and want to be a 250 monster, you have to eat like 250 monster, you can't just unwittingly gorge yourself with milk and you shouldn't just put down 2000+ calorie shakes at single sittings.

I'm glad, however, that you emphasized eating clean foods. I think if one wants to gain good muscular mass, they should eat clean and just go a couple hundred calories above maintenance for the day and monitor progress. I even heard Matt Kroc say the same thing in an elitefts interview. Even before his BB diet, he ate very clean for a PLer, and said to gain weight, keep the foods the same, just increase the calories. To lose weight, cut the calories.

I think the other big concern is how to keep fat at bay when attempting to make the scale go up. Some things I've learned online, from books, and from experience are: do cardio at least 3x a week, preferably in the morning with only aminos in your stomach, and impose carb cut-offs at 6pm. I got nice and lean last summer, then didn't follow the two above tips and ended up putting on too much fat. I then had to do damage control, and right now I just don't want to deal with dieting (I only weigh 188). Instead I keep calories around maintenance (3000), never miss workouts, do cardio 3 days a week, impose 6pm carb cutoffs, drink green tea and black coffee, eat meals that are only Protein+Carb or Protein+Fat, and I'm slowly leaning out.

For someone wanting to gain weight, do all of the above, but eat big at key times (around workouts).

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html

Last edited by cooltom; 04-10-2010 at 10:06 PM.
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
Not to strike down what you've started, but the bako shake and the gomad are more likely to make guys fatter. That's a lot of calories and a lot of sugar.

Although people much smarter than I, such as Dante Trudell and Massive G from DC training/Trueprotein, say if you weigh 180 and want to be a 250 monster, you have to eat like 250 monster, you can't just unwittingly gorge yourself with milk and you shouldn't just put down 2000+ calorie shakes at single sittings.

I'm glad, however, that you emphasized eating clean foods. I think if one wants to gain good muscular mass, they should eat clean and just go a couple hundred calories above maintenance for the day and monitor progress. I even heard Matt Kroc say the same thing in an elitefts interview. Even before his BB diet, he ate very clean for a PLer, and said to gain weight, keep the foods the same, just increase the calories. To lose weight, cut the calories.

I think the other big concern is how to keep fat at bay when attempting to make the scale go up. Some things I've learned online, from books, and from experience are: do cardio at least 3x a week, preferably in the morning with only aminos in your stomach, and impose carb cut-offs at 6pm. I got nice and lean last summer, then didn't follow the two above tips and ended up putting on too much fat. I then had to do damage control, and right now I just don't want to deal with dieting (I only weigh 188). Instead I keep calories around maintenance (3000), never miss workouts, do cardio 3 days a week, impose 6pm carb cutoffs, drink green tea and black coffee, eat meals that are only Protein+Carb or Protein+Fat, and I'm slowly leaning out.

For someone wanting to gain weight, do all of the above, but eat big at key times (around workouts).
The shake was meant to be set as 3 servings not 1. Sorry i didnt mention that. And no this was not meant to make people fatter its before the workout that all this milk is used to keep more calories than burned. I really like your reply. Thanks. And im no professional at this either just implying what i know.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
The shake was meant to be set as 3 servings not 1. Sorry i didnt mention that. And no this was not meant to make people fatter its before the workout that all this milk is used to keep more calories than burned. I really like your reply. Thanks. And im no professional at this either just implying what i know.
Cool, CoopDawg. I'm happy that shake is 3 servings...I think I gained a pound just by looking at the recipe. lol. And, I'm no professional either, so I certainly don't mean to act or sound or come off like one.

Rock on, my man.

Follow my progress: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-powerful.html
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

This is a good write up coop but I think it is important to understand your own body when you bulk. I personally bulk using 4000 plus calories and do not put a lot of fat on when I do it. I agree with your mcdonalds comment, a lot of young weightlifters with crazy high metabolisms get caught up in bodybuilding magazines and eat chicken breasts and broccoli all the time. Then they call themselves a hardgainer. If you are not putting on weight during a bulk you are not trying hard enough.

A note on weightgainers be careful, some are inviting because they are cheap but they are full of sugar and crap. You may be better off grabbing a double cheeseburger than consuming that crap. Plus they are delicious.

And I really like your protein bar recipe, have you ever made these?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
This is a good write up coop but I think it is important to understand your own body when you bulk. I personally bulk using 4000 plus calories and do not put a lot of fat on when I do it. I agree with your mcdonalds comment, a lot of young weightlifters with crazy high metabolisms get caught up in bodybuilding magazines and eat chicken breasts and broccoli all the time. Then they call themselves a hardgainer. If you are not putting on weight during a bulk you are not trying hard enough.

A note on weightgainers be careful, some are inviting because they are cheap but they are full of sugar and crap. You may be better off grabbing a double cheeseburger than consuming that crap. Plus they are delicious.

And I really like your protein bar recipe, have you ever made these?
Yes bro the protein bars taste great brotha. Thanks for your reply J. im glad you argreed with most of my comments
Old 04-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I agree with your mcdonalds comment, a lot of young weightlifters with crazy high metabolisms get caught up in bodybuilding magazines and eat chicken breasts and broccoli all the time. Then they call themselves a hardgainer. If you are not putting on weight during a bulk you are not trying hard enough.
Very true.

I had to eat 4500 calories plus to gain weight in college and didn't put on much fat. There are many underweight individuals who might have to learn to eat at 4500 to 5000 per day to gain weight.

Most hardgainers aren't eating what they think they're eating.

Just remember Coop that there are armies of young lifters who fear adding one pound of fat so they undereat. The point of lifting is to gain muscle and strength. This can be done wisely, with a good bulk, and doesn't have to be chicken breasts and broccoli. Few human beings can live like this all the time. It's simply not enjoyable.

Whole milk, almonds, peanut butter, dark chocolate, butter...there are plenty of healthy foods that have plenty of calories.

Personally, I try to eat primarily healthy with 25% whatever...piece of cheesecake, etc. Unless you're training to be a bodybuilder, eating all chicken breasts, etc., is a horrible way to live. At least for me.

But to each his own.

The old school lifters didn't have many processed foods, so they just ate big...piles of eggs, numerous bananas, milk, beef, butter and cream.

The last thing I want to say is that - as a large lifter - I have yet to see a skinny lifter who warns against too many calories, dirty foods, bulking, whatever, actually provide a picture showing the mysterious 30 pounds of fat they gained during such a process.

My point is this...most of these guys speak from a place of "fat fear". Sure, maybe some of them gained 10 pounds of fat on a bulk. And most likely it took away their abs. And odds are they trained for crap and didn't gain any muscle in the process.

I am not trying to make fun of anyone here. My point is simply that too many moderns opinions about building muscle are carved from an "abs first" mentality. I don't care about abs - I care about muscle and brawn. Get big and strong. Again, not a blank check to eat like a slob, but I think you understand what I'm saying here.

There are too many obsessive behaviors in the realm of lifting. Just learn how to train, and learn how to eat so you can gain muscle and strength. Don't fear gaining a few pounds of fat during the weight gain process. Stay healthy and fit, eat smart, and eat enough. You won't balloon into a fat guy...but you may gain 5 pounds of fat. But with your age and metabolism, I doubt you will gain much more then that.

The reality is that most young lifters need to eat 4000 calories or more. I give you a thumbs up for getting creative and trying to think through bulking and bulking foods.

Clean, dirty, or whatever. Learn your body and eat enough.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote