Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
Thanks btb always helpful im going to+1 your rep for all the help you have given me the past 2 weeks.
Glad to help.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would dump wrist and calf work from Workout B and add in heavy abs. I would also dump wrist work from Workout A and do curls.

I think the best way to approach a program is to start with a basic program like this, run it for one to 2 months, see what you like and don't like, and make minor adjustments going forward.
I agree with BTB on his suggestion here.

I've been looking at several of the Park programs, and this one seems to be an interim type of program. It seems to be designed to ready the user for heavier work as part of a power based program, before getting into heavy deads, and squats. This may not actually be a Reg park program. That is based on what Casey Butt has said in his statements in another thread.

It's not bad but I don't think it's optimal for all around performance. It's important to define what your short and long term goals are, and then utilize a program that will allow you to achieve those goals.

There's a few changes I would personally make to that program, but I generally like the movements that are involved. This is how I would work it.

Back Squats 5×5
Rows 5x5
Bench Press 5×5
BB curls 3x8-10
Calves 2×15-20
Dips 5x

WORKOUT B

Front Squats 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)
Standing Press 5×5
CGBP 3x8-10
Chins 5x
Hvy Abs
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I agree with BTB on his suggestion here.

I've been looking at several of the Park programs, and this one seems to be an interim type of program. It seems to be designed to ready the user for heavier work as part of a power based program, before getting into heavy deads, and squats. This may not actually be a Reg park program. That is based on what Casey Butt has said in his statements in another thread.

It's not bad but I don't think it's optimal for all around performance. It's important to define what your short and long term goals are, and then utilize a program that will allow you to achieve those goals.

There's a few changes I would personally make to that program, but I generally like the movements that are involved. This is how I would work it.

Back Squats 5×5
Rows 5x5
Bench Press 5×5
BB curls 3x8-10
Calves 2×15-20
Dips 5x

WORKOUT B

Front Squats 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)
Standing Press 5×5
CGBP 3x8-10
Chins 5x
Hvy Abs
so you would reccomend this rather than the park scheme?
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Don't get overly concerned with somebodys name on a program.

I like to study the Golden age approach, and how they trained. What shows up time and again are very basic programs such as what I've written out.

What you need to do is determine what you need as a baseball player to achieve your gaols. Can you lift 3x week, and still have enough energy to make your practices, and games? Can you lift 2x per week?

YOU, need to figure out what is going to work for you, with your schedule. I can write you 10 different programs, and they will all be good programs. Not all of them or maybe any of them will be right for you.

The program with the changes I made to it, is a pretty straightforward program. You can drive yourself nuts trying to decide, and talking about if somethings right. Just go do the program, take notes, and see where you may need to tailor the program a little tighter here, or a little looser there.

I constantly make notes to myself about how things are going with my training, what hurts, whats working, whats not working, ect.

My basic moves have not changed very much but how I'm doing things has changed often in the last 6 months. Sometimes I need more rest, sometimes I need to work harder, stricter, higher reps, lower reps, ect.

At the very least if you need to start with just a bare bones program then you could a lot worse than just doing this.

Squat
Row
Bench
Press

If you did that 3x a week 5x5 you would be doing fine.

Now, stop window shopping for the perfect program, cause it doesn't really exist, and start lifting on a regular basis. Make notes, and log what your doing. even if you only log it for yourself, log it.

Go have fun.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Don't get overly concerned with somebodys name on a program.

I like to study the Golden age approach, and how they trained. What shows up time and again are very basic programs such as what I've written out.

What you need to do is determine what you need as a baseball player to achieve your gaols. Can you lift 3x week, and still have enough energy to make your practices, and games? Can you lift 2x per week?

YOU, need to figure out what is going to work for you, with your schedule. I can write you 10 different programs, and they will all be good programs. Not all of them or maybe any of them will be right for you.

The program with the changes I made to it, is a pretty straightforward program. You can drive yourself nuts trying to decide, and talking about if somethings right. Just go do the program, take notes, and see where you may need to tailor the program a little tighter here, or a little looser there.

I constantly make notes to myself about how things are going with my training, what hurts, whats working, whats not working, ect.

My basic moves have not changed very much but how I'm doing things has changed often in the last 6 months. Sometimes I need more rest, sometimes I need to work harder, stricter, higher reps, lower reps, ect.

At the very least if you need to start with just a bare bones program then you could a lot worse than just doing this.

Squat
Row
Bench
Press

If you did that 3x a week 5x5 you would be doing fine.

Now, stop window shopping for the perfect program, cause it doesn't really exist, and start lifting on a regular basis. Make notes, and log what your doing. even if you only log it for yourself, log it.

Go have fun.
+1 rep to you. Thanks gl i appreciate it. Yes i can train 3 times a week i have time for that. And thanks for all your input i will go with what you wrote out abve and run with it. also whats some nice ab work. Im getting tired of reverse crunches
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #16
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

So a 5x5 is 5 sets of 5 reps? You push weight that you can only get up 5 times? So say 250 x 5 and then if you can't do it again push for a weight you can get up 5 times?

So what about the other work like dips? What if you can get more then 5 reps of dips are dip like 10 to 15?

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
+1 rep to you. Thanks gl i appreciate it. Yes i can train 3 times a week i have time for that. And thanks for all your input i will go with what you wrote out abve and run with it. also whats some nice ab work. Im getting tired of reverse crunches
squats and deads are great ab work.... oh you meant something aimed directly at the abs... hell if i know
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
So a 5x5 is 5 sets of 5 reps? You push weight that you can only get up 5 times? So say 250 x 5 and then if you can't do it again push for a weight you can get up 5 times?

So what about the other work like dips? What if you can get more then 5 reps of dips are dip like 10 to 15?
NO its not weight that you can only get up 5 times. Its just higher weight lower reps. Its basically a nice setup for most peopl. It is heavy as you said though. It;s usually used to add 5 to 10 pounds a week on certain lifts bench,squat,OHP,deads
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
squats and deads are great ab work.... oh you meant something aimed directly at the abs... hell if i know
no haha your answer was good thanks. I was accepting any answers
Old 03-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
MMA Max
Max Brawn
Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43 Points: 4,743, Level: 43
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

MMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributorMMA Max is a dedicated contributor

Ah Sorry, All these names for programs I get lost lol! Over here we just lift light first sets and then smash out as heavy as we can go and then fill in the rest with Circuts **** and fight training..

The only thing I know is keep these in check - Strong Core, Deads, Over head presses, Benches, Pull ups, Squats and dips

For my chest however I have been using Arnold's Chest work out and it is blasting my chest something beautiful and making me thick like TANK

It's

Flat Bench
Incline DB Press
Cable Flys or just any fly
Dips

But I skip the Pull Over's, they do nothing for me except get me mad!

But I like your program! When you gonna smash it

" Deutscher Stolz weltweit "

Violence. It may not be the answer, But it sure cuts down on the questions!

MMA Max is offline   Reply With Quote