Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sumo deadlifts? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2689)

sneezingstardust 03-27-2010 11:40 AM

Sumo deadlifts?

What are your thoughts on these?

Honestly, I find them uncomfortable, my ROM sucks (I'm already short as it is), I dunno. They just don't feel as natural to me as conventionals.

jslep 03-27-2010 12:09 PM

i avoid these too cause they are uncomfortable for my knees. but i do try to get my legs close to a sumo style to do some leg press's.

JesseA 03-27-2010 12:40 PM

You just need to find what works for you. I switched to sumo a couple years ago because I was able to move more weight (shorter ROM? More hip drive? I dunno). Although, I will probably switch back to conventional soon just to mix it up a bit.

I'm not sure if it's better or worse on the knees in a sumo stance or conventional.

sneezingstardust 03-27-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslep (Post 42663)
i avoid these too cause they are uncomfortable for my knees. but i do try to get my legs close to a sumo style to do some leg press's.

Knees? It was more uncomfortable on my hips, I thought. Leg press is different, I like to go wide with those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseA (Post 42683)
You just need to find what works for you. I switched to sumo a couple years ago because I was able to move more weight (shorter ROM? More hip drive? I dunno). Although, I will probably switch back to conventional soon just to mix it up a bit.

I'm not sure if it's better or worse on the knees in a sumo stance or conventional.

I believe you can lift more weight with sumo (once you get the movement down) but it just feels odd for me, I guess.

I guess my main question would be, are they needed? I see a lot of powerlifters using sumo, and not as much conventionals.

JesseA 03-27-2010 12:54 PM

I don't think they are necessary over a conventional stance. So long as you are doing deadlifts (heavy), you're covered.

BendtheBar 03-27-2010 02:37 PM

I use them occasionally as an assistance exercise. I have weaker hamstrings and a wide sumo stance really helps hit this weak spot.

kman025 03-27-2010 02:49 PM

doesnt it depend on your body type and what feels better?

i dont think one's over the other.... however, you mention sumos are better, but the top deadlifters use conventional (andy bolton, knostinin, others).

Bodybygamma 03-27-2010 03:53 PM

Start out very narrow, and work your way out. Look for a comfort zone.Experiment with toes pointed forward, toes out. Practice on a challenging weight you can do for 3-5 reps and do singles with each from with 3-5 minutes rest in between so you can gauge what feels best for you.

DocColossus 03-27-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneezingstardust (Post 42653)
What are your thoughts on these?

Honestly, I find them uncomfortable, my ROM sucks (I'm already short as it is), I dunno. They just don't feel as natural to me as conventionals.

Once I get my flexibility back in my lower spine and hamstrings I am all over these! I have always been a fan of the Sumo DL.

jslep 03-27-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneezingstardust (Post 42684)
Knees? It was more uncomfortable on my hips, I thought. Leg press is different, I like to go wide with those.

i was pointing my toes out at a 45 and whenever i don't get my feet straight out shoulder width apart i have trouble finding comfort in my knees. i think this may just be a problem with weak legs though.