Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
SWells_TheMachine
New Brawn
Points: 693, Level: 13 Points: 693, Level: 13 Points: 693, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

SWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good start

I switched from conventional to sumo 3 or 4 months ago and have noticed a huge difference. You use up WAY more energy going conventional not so much with sumo. The top guys in the DL do use conventional but they usually are one and done, they will go for a big one and if they miss or fight to the death for it they will throw in the towel. Sumo on the other hand at least gives you a chance to add some more weigh or recover better from a fail. My stance isnt quite as wide as others, but thats just because of my body type.
SWells_TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWells_TheMachine View Post
I switched from conventional to sumo 3 or 4 months ago and have noticed a huge difference. You use up WAY more energy going conventional not so much with sumo. The top guys in the DL do use conventional but they usually are one and done, they will go for a big one and if they miss or fight to the death for it they will throw in the towel. Sumo on the other hand at least gives you a chance to add some more weigh or recover better from a fail. My stance isnt quite as wide as others, but thats just because of my body type.
I went really wide out of the gate and because of the weight drop, I stopped using them as frequently. I guess I should try to pull my feet in a bit and give them another chance.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

i love Sumos.... dont ask me why... i just love them
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
SWells_TheMachine
New Brawn

SWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good startSWells_TheMachine is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I went really wide out of the gate and because of the weight drop, I stopped using them as frequently. I guess I should try to pull my feet in a bit and give them another chance.
If you can see my profile pick my feet are not much wider than shoulder width apart. Of course there is a little more distance to travel when on the narrow side you gotta do what feels the best/strongest and that posistion does it for me!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWells_TheMachine View Post
If you can see my profile pick my feet are not much wider than shoulder width apart. Of course there is a little more distance to travel when on the narrow side you gotta do what feels the best/strongest and that posistion does it for me!
Thanks. I might just take another look at them. Really wide stance I feel like I'm pulling with all hamstrings.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Never tried Sumo; might give it a go sometime to see how it feels.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
SWells_TheMachine
New Brawn

Believe it or not with both sumo and conventional I can not really get a feel and just try it out without a decent amount of weight on the bar. I know what its suppose to feel like when Im starting my pull and if it goes up with very minimal effort its hard to look at my lift and critique or make improvements on it. I can remember when I first started sumo I had 135 on the bar and I was all over the place it looked awful, but as we moved it up I got a bit more under control, it feels more natural with some weight on the bar.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
ThickLegs McDeadlift
New Brawn
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

ThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality postsThickLegs McDeadlift has made some quality posts

I pull sumo, it suits my body type. I started doing light conventionals as part of DeFranco's BB complexes and immediately smacked the sh*t out of my knees. Conventional DLs can suck it. But I still do 'em.

I figure pulling is pulling and don't worry about it too much other than that.
ThickLegs McDeadlift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickLegs McDeadlift View Post
I pull sumo, it suits my body type. I started doing light conventionals as part of DeFranco's BB complexes and immediately smacked the sh*t out of my knees. Conventional DLs can suck it. But I still do 'em.

I figure pulling is pulling and don't worry about it too much other than that.
Yeah some of us are just built differently. I suck at sumos, but LTL from the board rocks the sumos.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #20
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

i love the Sumos too!!!!