Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Deadlift help (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2660)

LtL 03-25-2010 04:12 AM

Deadlift help

Hi Guys

Steve has been helping me work on my deadlift form and he, along with some very useful pointers from Tony as well, has managed to develop my form from train wreck bad to hit and run scale bad. The problem that I have is that after I get set to lift, I always lift my hips slightly and round my back. I now do it way less than I was but it's still happening. The below vid' is from this week's deadlift session and shows what I mean:

Can anyone tell me why my lower back feels the need to make like a gym noobie and curl?

Thanks!

LtL

DocColossus 03-25-2010 04:30 AM

First and foremost you're bending your elbows at the beginning, during and at the end of the lockout, that's no good. Keep a firm grip (I prefer mixed grip but to each their own) and straighten those arms out brutha!!

Drop that *ss down too, lower those hips, drive from those heels, seemed to have the weight a bit on your toes at times... need to keep it on the heels, toes only bring back ache!!

Keep your head facing up too, chest high, and dig downward, rather than thinking of it as picking weight upward.

That's me... next?.

NOW THAT I COMMENTED HERE you must read the CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH THREAD and give your thoughts on what would happen in that room!

Grip-N-Rip 03-25-2010 04:39 AM

Chest up, arch your back, drive your heels into the floor and drive your hips through the movement.

gaspers04 03-25-2010 04:48 AM

Drop your ass, plant them heels.

ehubbard 03-25-2010 06:30 AM

My only issue is with your bent arms. Hips look fine to me, and that amount of rounding is fine IF you train the hell out of your abs and lower back.

DocColossus 03-25-2010 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehubbard (Post 40752)
My only issue is with your bent arms. Hips look fine to me, and that amount of rounding is fine IF you train the hell out of your abs and lower back.

I saw the arms as well, but still think the core work was not to par... I'm thinking lighter weight with FLAWLESS form for a few sessions would work.

OP: how flexible are your hamstrings???

BendtheBar 03-25-2010 06:33 AM

Imagine you have a string on the top of your head, and a giant is lifting you up by your head. This "mental trick" might help your visualize the lift better without your hips coming up. Right now the string is on your hips.

LtL 03-25-2010 07:02 AM

Thanks guys. I'm at work at the moment so will digest properly in an hour at lunch and respond in more detail but @ Doc Coll - My hammies are pretty flexible: I can touch toes and beyond.

LtL

DocColossus 03-25-2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 40768)
Thanks guys. I'm at work at the moment so will digest properly in an hour at lunch and respond in more detail but @ Doc Coll - My hammies are pretty flexible: I can touch toes and beyond.

LtL

Reason I asked was that a lot of guys have issues properly executing their form on the DL because of hamstring issues with mobility (myself included, hammies are always tight no matter what).

Listen to the advice in this thread mang, you'll be glad you did!

LtL 03-25-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocColossus (Post 40744)
First and foremost you're bending your elbows at the beginning, during and at the end of the lockout, that's no good. Keep a firm grip (I prefer mixed grip but to each their own) and straighten those arms out brutha!!

Drop that *ss down too, lower those hips, drive from those heels, seemed to have the weight a bit on your toes at times... need to keep it on the heels, toes only bring back ache!!

Keep your head facing up too, chest high, and dig downward, rather than thinking of it as picking weight upward.

That's me... next?.

NOW THAT I COMMENTED HERE you must read the CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH THREAD and give your thoughts on what would happen in that room!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grip-N-Rip (Post 40745)
Chest up, arch your back, drive your heels into the floor and drive your hips through the movement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 40746)
Drop your ass, plant them heels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehubbard (Post 40752)

Common theme seems to be keeping weight over my heels, ass lower and keeping arms locked. Thanks a lot for looking in on this. I'll keep you all posted as to how I progress. Next deadlift day is Tuesday :lifter:

LtL