Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Take a video then too, and post it WITH the original for side by side comparison. Always helpful, and we can help perhaps a bit more once we see the before and after what we had to say....
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Mombow111
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

I find my form improves significantly if I don't mind my shins and scrape the bar against them
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

I would've posted about the bent arms, but it was already mentioned.

Keep your shoulders behind the bar when you initiate the deadlift. Your body is too far forward, in front of the bar.

Also, don't put the bar against your shins before you grab it. It's better to align the bar over the middle of your foot. Doing that will provide more room for the knees/legs to bend and straighten, but only just enough so that you don't lose precious leverage.

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #14
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post

Keep your shoulders behind the bar when you initiate the deadlift. Your body is too far forward, in front of the bar.

Also, don't put the bar against your shins before you grab it. It's better to align the bar over the middle of your foot. Doing that will provide more room for the knees/legs to bend and straighten, but only just enough so that you don't lose precious leverage.
Thanks man.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Switched to sumo and it seems to have helped a LOT. I just couldn't get comfortable in a regular stance. If I pushed right back on my heels, my shins felt VERY tight. Tried a semi sumo stance and it felt GREAT. Would welcome any feedback:

LtL

Last edited by LtL; 04-02-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: HTML didn't work
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

I pull sumo everyonce in a while but I squat heavy after DL day so it wouldn't work for me if I switch my routine around I would probably pull sumo a lot more
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #17
BenReilly
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,275, Level: 28 Points: 2,275, Level: 28 Points: 2,275, Level: 28

BenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributorBenReilly is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocColossus View Post
First and foremost you're bending your elbows at the beginning, during and at the end of the lockout, that's no good. Keep a firm grip (I prefer mixed grip but to each their own) and straighten those arms out brutha!!

Drop that *ss down too, lower those hips, drive from those heels, seemed to have the weight a bit on your toes at times... need to keep it on the heels, toes only bring back ache!!

Keep your head facing up too, chest high, and dig downward, rather than thinking of it as picking weight upward.

That's me... next?.

NOW THAT I COMMENTED HERE you must read the CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH THREAD and give your thoughts on what would happen in that room!
Quote:

they pretty much covered it

what do your warmup sets look like?
BenReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #18
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:

Your shoulders should not be behind the bar, you want to keep your shoulders over the bar. The

When you drop your hips before you start the lift your shins should be very close if not touching the bar.

Review these articles for the proper setup for the deadlift:
Improving the Deadlift
How to Set Up on the Deadlift
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Switched to sumo and it seems to have helped a LOT. I just couldn't get comfortable in a regular stance. If I pushed right back on my heels, my shins felt VERY tight. Tried a semi sumo stance and it felt GREAT. Would welcome any feedback: YouTube - Mental Face Sumo Deadlifts

YouTube - Sumo Deadlift 80kg

LtL
What position were your feet in during conventional deadlift? Straight ahead or pointed out? you may have ankle mobility issues if you're feeling tightness in your shins. Do you have any tightness/pain when squatting?

You need to get your shoulders further over the bar, think of pulling in a straight line (up). If you watch the video from the side, your are pulling the bar up and back like this: / instead of this: | (look at your arms at 0:09)

Also, you don't need to exaggerate the lockout, it looks like you're leaning back a little too far at lockout.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
tank316
Brawn
Points: 3,462, Level: 36 Points: 3,462, Level: 36 Points: 3,462, Level: 36
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good poststank316 has made some very good posts

When I competed in the early 90's I switched from a regular deadlift stance to a sumo and added 40 lbs to my dead's. It was just the way I was built from a mechanics stand point.
I would still add rack deads to your work out btw, vary your pin settings in the rack.
tank316 is offline   Reply With Quote