Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default The reason oldtime strongmen routines are key

The oldtime strongmen such as reg park and the big and bad paul anderson didnt have supplements and steroids. What they did have were their wits about themselves, motivation, milk, honey, weights, the heart to push that extra rep, and their proven routines that work. Im just writing this to go with some of the great rants about how the old routines still work. Any routine that worked 50 to 60 years ago when growth enhancement came from hardwork and puberty(no supplements or steroids) obviously are key when starting to put on mass. Im not saying supplements are bad some are great but these guys used nothing more than food and their motivation. Reg park is one of the best since I found this site i have been reading reg park articles left and right. If anyone looks at his physique and thinks I want to be that big let ME POP SOME PILLS AND SHOOT SOME JUICE thats not even close to the point of me taking the time to admire the oldtime greats. So basically to say today the same ethics stand hard work, determination, an adequate routine, and good food will prevail over any supplement. I know we all know the ones im talking about whos first question is not whats the best plan i should take its always (what supplement should i take to gain). Reg park should always be followed. The older routines that worked and still work today should always be kept around. Thats what i like about this site BTB understands the older routines still work mentality as i do. I am following reg park as we speak.
Hope this was useful to read. Its not for ppl such as gl,rick,btb you guys know this its just a good read for maybe a lifter whos only maybe worked out once and dying for gains.
Thanks,
Coop
Hope the readers enjoy reading this and its not boring/stupid

Last edited by CoopDawg; 03-24-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: forgot something
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The old routines still work. I think one of the issues with the natural side of the sport is the fact that many of the genetic elites in bodybuilding - and perhaps powerlifting (I'm not as familiar with AAS and powerlifting) - know they are elite and eventually grow tired of having limited gains and progress to AAS.

"Hard work, determination, an adequate routine, and good food will prevail"...is a true statement for any lifter, natural or AAS.

There are many supplements that would have been beneficial to old time lifters, especially for recovery, but I believe these guys are differently then we did. Most old times, and correct me if I'm wrong, didn't eat a lot of rice, pasta, etc. From what I've read, earlier in this century, rice and pasta were more ethnic foods and not staples of the American diet.

Diets were more beef, bananas, potatoes, juice, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Diets were more beef, bananas, potatoes, juice, etc.
I forgot milk and eggs.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
cooltom
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20 Points: 1,358, Level: 20
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

cooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributorcooltom is a dedicated contributor

I don't how many people have looked for these routines, but there are some here: The Golden Age of Iron Men

Jamie Lewis at C&P also writes about some of these guys from time to time and, as Coopdawg mentioned, these guys accomplished a lot through hard work and determination. Guys like Grimek worked out every day, for hours. Today, Mariusz P. does a similar kind of high-frequency, high-volume routine.

Perhaps another factor to their success, besides not being under the influence of supplement companies and ideological sources (Weider) or tempted by AAS, is the internet. In an elitefts seminar, which I just happened to find on the very same internet which I am posting this quote, Jim Wendler said that alot of his success was due to the fact that he didn't have the internet growing up.

He had to figure **** out for himself, as the men of old did too.
cooltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltom View Post
I don't how many people have looked for these routines, but there are some here: The Golden Age of Iron Men

Jamie Lewis at C&P also writes about some of these guys from time to time and, as Coopdawg mentioned, these guys accomplished a lot through hard work and determination. Guys like Grimek worked out every day, for hours. Today, Mariusz P. does a similar kind of high-frequency, high-volume routine.

Perhaps another factor to their success, besides not being under the influence of supplement companies and ideological sources (Weider) or tempted by AAS, is the internet. In an elitefts seminar, which I just happened to find on the very same internet which I am posting this quote, Jim Wendler said that alot of his success was due to the fact that he didn't have the internet growing up.

Thanks tom. And glad you see my points in this
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

We have quite a bit of info on the old timers here. We're trying to add as many workouts and articles as we can. If you guys come across a good routine, please PM me it.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
We have quite a bit of info on the old timers here. We're trying to add as many workouts and articles as we can. If you guys come across a good routine, please PM me it.
You know i will BTB i always burn your inbox up lol. Tom this guys as cool as can be if you need anything or have questions pm he is a big help.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:

good point. i think everyone should start with a 3x5 or 5x5. after they build up a base level of strength they should try new things and see what works best for them.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
good point. i think everyone should start with a 3x5 or 5x5. after they build up a base level of strength they should try new things and see what works best for them.
KMAN nice words bro. You sounding like an expert. keep it up. BY THE WAY. this is a compliment your words were exactly on point.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

I like that you mentioned C&P, that dude is really cool, i did the interview with him thats on his blog, the man is a beast and actually nice if you can look past the nail spitting
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
The oldtime strongmen such as reg park and the big and bad paul anderson didnt have supplements and steroids. What they did have were their wits about themselves, motivation, milk, honey, weights, the heart to push that extra rep, and their proven routines that work. Im just writing this to go with some of the great rants about how the old routines still work. Any routine that worked 50 to 60 years ago when growth enhancement came from hardwork and puberty(no supplements or steroids) obviously are key when starting to put on mass. Im not saying supplements are bad some are great but these guys used nothing more than food and their motivation. Reg park is one of the best since I found this site i have been reading reg park articles left and right. If anyone looks at his physique and thinks I want to be that big let ME POP SOME PILLS AND SHOOT SOME JUICE thats not even close to the point of me taking the time to admire the oldtime greats. So basically to say today the same ethics stand hard work, determination, an adequate routine, and good food will prevail over any supplement. I know we all know the ones im talking about whos first question is not whats the best plan i should take its always (what supplement should i take to gain). Reg park should always be followed. The older routines that worked and still work today should always be kept around. Thats what i like about this site BTB understands the older routines still work mentality as i do. I am following reg park as we speak.
Hope this was useful to read. Its not for ppl such as gl,rick,btb you guys know this its just a good read for maybe a lifter whos only maybe worked out once and dying for gains.
Thanks,
Coop
Hope the readers enjoy reading this and its not boring/stupid
BTB i think we have a parrot lol
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote