Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default bulking some help

My baseball season and school year does not end until 2 more months when i start my log.....but while in baseball season i get good running in and pitch alot which may slow the bulk progress but if i was already working out it would be the same way. I want to bulk for 2 months until the season is over and then get back on the weights. What im asking is it okay to start bulking now even though im not working out. Im no worried about gaining some weight ill burn it down when i start back working out. Weight is no problem but i dont want to look like a slob with a keg under my shirt because im not able to workout. Baseball is tough and running is strenous sometimes but it doesnt compare to the calories burnt from working out.
I know this is a complicated question thats why every forum i posted this exact thing on never answered.Most think im stupid and am asking how to bulk no im asking when to bulk. I have read enough by BTB to learn enough about how to bulk clean/dirty etc.

so basically...
Is it okay to start my bulk now during baseball season?
or should i wait until i can get back to working out then bulk?
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Grip-N-Rip
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Grip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good postsGrip-N-Rip has made some good posts

You could start to increase your macros now, it actually may enhance your performance as an athlete. However, dont get carried away.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Are you going to be doing any form of resistance training, say even bodyweight stuff? Or is it all baseball, running, etc?

What is your height and weight? That will help a bit. I know you are very lean, and it probably would do you good to run 300 to 500 calories above maintenance just to help keep your strength and energy up while training for baseball. You definitely don't want to undereat.

As long as you are in good shape - able to run and sprint and all the other activities required of you for the sport - I would be eating more than maintenance. Undereating can cause a strength loss and give you fatigue.

More questions - are you naturally lean, and what are your normal eating habits like?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Are you going to be doing any form of resistance training, say even bodyweight stuff? Or is it all baseball, running, etc?

What is your height and weight? That will help a bit. I know you are very lean, and it probably would do you good to run 300 to 500 calories above maintenance just to help keep your strength and energy up while training for baseball. You definitely don't want to undereat.

As long as you are in good shape - able to run and sprint and all the other activities required of you for the sport - I would be eating more than maintenance. Undereating can cause a strength loss and give you fatigue.

More questions - are you naturally lean, and what are your normal eating habits like?
my average morning and night look as follows 3x20 push ups 3x20 reverse crunches and some exercises for pitching its a program for pitchers called pitchers ten it involves using therapeutic(i believe i spelled that wrong lol) band work and some light weight shoulder exercises which has a 5lb. limit so im not doing any heavylifting. I am naturally lean and 5'10 150 pounds i think i mentioned before i went from 129 to 155 in about 6 months which shows my eating habits were poor most of that were beginner gains now my weight stays between 147-150. I am in very good shape all our pitchers have to run a 1/2 mile in 65 seconds and i naturally love peanut butter,milk, almonds etc. when i go on my bulk this time im tracking calories bro im gonna go all out and do it right
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If I were you I'd be eating about 500 above maintenance. I started college about your height and weight. If you gain a few pounds, some of that will be muscle. The body, when it gains weight even from over-eating, doesn't just add fat. The extra calories will help you maintain strength and energy.

After the baseball season, time to give it. I would love to see you hit 170 by Summer's end.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If I were you I'd be eating about 500 above maintenance. I started college about your height and weight. If you gain a few pounds, some of that will be muscle. The body, when it gains weight even from over-eating, doesn't just add fat. The extra calories will help you maintain strength and energy.

After the baseball season, time to give it. I would love to see you hit 170 by Summer's end.
trust me bro i would like to see 170 more than anything its a slow and steady progress but i have the time everyone should have time to stay fit i mean its only 70 to 90 minutes in the gym 3 days a week and it will cut the obese rate down. But me im not going to lose weight im going to gain i was just making that statement cause i live in mississippi and we have the biggest obese rate of all states. THANKS BTB. i will surely start overeating starting tomorrow ill count my calories for that day and then start eating in excess of that. thanks for all the incoming replies MAB im sure alot of you guys have big success rates from this informational site.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
folkprophet
Brawn
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

folkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality postsfolkprophet has made some quality posts

Is 500 over the standard for bulking? Or if hitting the weights hard should one do more? Or is it too complicated to give a simple answer?
folkprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkprophet View Post
Is 500 over the standard for bulking? Or if hitting the weights hard should one do more? Or is it too complicated to give a simple answer?
they did answer these questions and i dont really like it simple i like the long reads when it comes to working out its awesome