Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn
Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73 Points: 12,762, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The Rocker TV Toss Champion!
Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Hammer Low Pull
Fav Supp: Jack3d, Yok3d, ModernBCAA
DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
All I know is that after a while singles stopped helping my deadlift total. I hovered at 500 for a year. 4 months in the range of 3 to 10, and my deadlift went through the roof. I will never be able to do 30 reps, so I can't say what they help or harm.

The "he's showing off" assumptions are a little unfounded. John Grimek trained in higher rep ranges. Just because something isn't OCD bodybuilding style doesn't equate to showing off. That's a big leap to draw that conclusion. I had a goal early this year to hit 405x20, and I wasn't trying to show off. I was trying to hit 405x20 because I wanted to.
I think doing ANY movement for that many reps would not help you grow whatsoever! I feel with dead lifts that 5 reps or LESS is appropriate, given that it is a STRENGTH building exercise, not a muscular endurance building exercise... To me it just doesn't make sense to go high rep for such a God given strength building exercise! Of all the movements the weight lifting Gods blessed us with, the dead lift was the mass builder, the one to end all complaints of not getting bigger or stronger... but people misuse it and play games with light weight, and that I just don't understand...

The original video, his form does go to ****, that's to be expected with that many reps, BUT if he was even able to move 315lb for that many reps regardless of form, he's pulling 600 for one if he digs those heels down, and I don't get why a 180lb'er wouldn't want to be able to say he can pull 3x his bodyweight...

Damn high reppers.
DocColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I'm not arguing for high reps Doc. And I'm surely not arguing for sets over 10 for growth. The bulk of my sets were between 3 and 8 reps, and my max went up over 100 pounds.

My case is unique. I have no growth left. My goal was purely a personal goal. I also handle deadlifts quite well, and could probably train them heavy twice a week without issues. After 24 years, I lift for pleasure and need new mountains to climb. I respect that you consider them foolish. But like I said, after all the years I have in, sometimes interesting goals are all I have left.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

DocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machineDocColossus is a lifting machine

Quote:
I'm not arguing for high reps Doc. And I'm surely not arguing for sets over 10 for growth. The bulk of my sets were between 3 and 8 reps, and my max went up over 100 pounds.

My case is unique. I have no growth left. My goal was purely a personal goal. I also handle deadlifts quite well, and could probably train them heavy twice a week without issues. After 24 years, I lift for pleasure and need new mountains to climb. I respect that you consider them foolish. But like I said, after all the years I have in, sometimes interesting goals are all I have left.
I think we're reading what we're each saying here actually a bit differently than what we each mean... Let me start over:

I think high reps for a power movement like the dead lift are a waste of precious training time...

BUT

if for a personal challenge, something to be done once (like the 300 workout) than do it to it, just don't make it a habit... I think OP is more saying it would be an acceptable habit, that is what I do not agree with...

You should be proud brutha!!! Hey I'm online available if you wanna shoot me another Q.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I gotcha Doc. I am pretty much a hardcore advocate of low rep deadlift sets. In fact, for a long time I preached only one rep at a time, rest-pause style. I don't like multiple reps for guys who don't have form locked down.

Personally, my big self can't do much more than 10 per set even if I wanted to.

I did misunderstand what you were saying. And I apologize for that.

BTW, I don't know that I received the answer to the last question. Can you check your email and possibly re-send it?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #25
DocColossus
Captain, Team 50'
Max Brawn

Quote:
I gotcha Doc. I am pretty much a hardcore advocate of low rep deadlift sets. In fact, for a long time I preached only one rep at a time, rest-pause style. I don't like multiple reps for guys who don't have form locked down.

Personally, my big self can't do much more than 10 per set even if I wanted to.

I did misunderstand what you were saying. And I apologize for that.

BTW, I don't know that I received the answer to the last question. Can you check your email and possibly re-send it?
just re-sent it.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #26
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

Well, to each his own. I guess it just depends on the goals of the person in question.
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #27
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
I'll one up you...525x4...well, maybe not exactly one up...but...well...27 reps is a lot.

YouTube - Bend the Bar - Bodybuilder in Progress - Part 7
I approve! BTB is Da Man

Deadlifting in the double digits is just retarded. I mean kudos to anyone who has the time to do some many damn reps, but outside of a light strongman competition, I see no purpose to do anymore then 20 reps for an excercise(which is a strech) unless your crazy. Not knocking anyone, just confirming some screws are loose lol.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #28
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

fml that is some crazy lifting!!!

these guys aren't making the videos with the title '30 deadlifts make you grow'
no, they are making these videos for people like us to say ' holy **** thats alot of deadlifting'

major kudos to every video posted, especially the basement guy!!!

-OTK's LOG-
We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing.

onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #29
sneezingstardust
Max Brawn
Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44 Points: 4,948, Level: 44

sneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributorsneezingstardust is a dedicated contributor

To address DocCollossus, I wasn't saying it would be an acceptable habit. I know that I have a lot of fun with high-rep deadlifts from time to time, and I think it'd be fine to change things up now and then. I definitely don't see them as being harmful, and to me they're not a waste of time if incorporated into a circuit. It's not like you would train with 30 reps every time.

But I mean, widowmaker squats are basically the same thing. Either way, I find it impressive.
sneezingstardust is offline   Reply With Quote