Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
CoopDawg
Max Brawn
Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71 Points: 11,819, Level: 71
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default Favorite routines.

I would like to know what are some of the favorite routines you guys use on this website. I have looked at all them mostly but so many to choose from. when i start back up and get my log going im gonna build my strength foundation higher cause strength is size. Honestly i was looking at the article about arnold and the way he followed reg park and i was thinking of trying something of that sort and follow it to the point. I was just wondering what some big favorites are here. And to BENDTHEBAR i have enjoyed reading alot of the articles you post up.
CoopDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
I would like to know what are some of the favorite routines you guys use on this website. I have looked at all them mostly but so many to choose from. when i start back up and get my log going im gonna build my strength foundation higher cause strength is size. Honestly i was looking at the article about arnold and the way he followed reg park and i was thinking of trying something of that sort and follow it to the point. I was just wondering what some big favorites are here. And to BENDTHEBAR i have enjoyed reading alot of the articles you post up.
Thanks Coop. I appreciate it.

I think here at MAB you'll find a lot of 5/3/1, C&P, Westside, and fullbody. There are also numerous guys running splits.

Regarding Arnold and Reg Park, a fullbody style routine is a great way to pack on size and strength. It doesn't get much better than that. My advice is to ease into it, as fullbody training can be uniquely taxing out of the gate. Start slow, and build as you gain confidence.

And if a pure fullbody isn't appealing, try an AB split. Another great way to train for size and strength.

Ultimately, you'll want to pick a routine that appeals to you as something you plan on running long term. It needs to be something you can tweak along the way to suit your needs, and your body. Simple is best. My lifting has always centered around simple approaches and primary lifts.

Pick a good horse, and ride out the linear periodization for a good, long time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Block periodization.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor
Default sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks Coop. I appreciate it.

I think here at MAB you'll find a lot of 5/3/1, C&P, Westside, and fullbody. There are also numerous guys running splits.

Regarding Arnold and Reg Park, a fullbody style routine is a great way to pack on size and strength. It doesn't get much better than that. My advice is to ease into it, as fullbody training can be uniquely taxing out of the gate. Start slow, and build as you gain confidence.

And if a pure fullbody isn't appealing, try an AB split. Another great way to train for size and strength.

Ultimately, you'll want to pick a routine that appeals to you as something you plan on running long term. It needs to be something you can tweak along the way to suit your needs, and your body. Simple is best. My lifting has always centered around simple approaches and primary lifts.

Pick a good horse, and ride out the linear periodization for a good, long time.
great reply. And im glad you had some agreeable aspects about the reg parks because i think im gonna choose that one and stick with it awhile when i get back going and also run a log here at MAB. I may have to change a little detail here and there to suit my needs as you said before. And your right again the basics is key the bodybuilding routines for newbies like myself are just not meant for us most are meant for the guys up top shooting the juice, or a natural such as yourself but not for me just yet.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I like basic fullbody, and an A/B split type of routine.

I've been sticking with an A/B split for awhile now, and after a few minor tweaks I'm really happy with what I'm doing now.

I like to primarily stick with compounds, but I do like to get some arm work isolation stuff in as well. The arm work is always done at the end of other moves, and is only for a few sets.

The moves that I like to do are:

Squats
Deads
Presses
Benches
BB Rowing
Chins
Dips

Those are my main moves, but I will also include:

BB/DB curls
French pressing
Upright rowing
Calf raises
SLDL/DRL

I like to keep it simple, and will always try to do as few moves as possible to meet my goals. From time to time I will do other moves as I see fit if I feel the need to isolate something for a little bit.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
I may have to change a little detail here and there to suit my needs as you said before.
For sure. Reg Park was an animal. No way I could hang with his or John Grimek's training. Looking forward to the log.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
great reply. And im glad you had some agreeable aspects about the reg parks because i think im gonna choose that one and stick with it awhile when i get back going and also run a log here at MAB. I may have to change a little detail here and there to suit my needs as you said before. And your right again the basics is key the bodybuilding routines for newbies like myself are just not meant for us most are meant for the guys up top shooting the juice, or a natural such as yourself but not for me just yet.
I'm really big on the Reg Park 5x5 style workset scheme. I keep coming back to it as my preferred way to work a 5x5 program.

I've made some pretty good progress using that scheme in the last 6 months.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For sure. Reg Park was an animal. No way I could hang with his or John Grimek's training. Looking forward to the log.
my only confusion is with the different routines such as his power and strength do i go for the strength routine