Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi View Post
Only asked because of a lower back issue I have.

I can't squat heavy on the free racks. There is no way in hell I'm going back to those days. Were it was crazy painful just trying to stand up.
I completely understand. We all have our reasons. I used Smith for 2 years on bench in 96-97 because my gym sucked and never had any spotters there when I trained. I used Smith for most of my training, and though I trained on Smith, I still hit a 430 bench on a regular bench press.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-22-2010 at 08:57 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
RickB
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolinkiwi View Post
I can't squat heavy on the free racks. There is no way in hell I'm going back to those days. Were it was crazy painful just trying to stand up.
I'm actually opposite. I can not squat nearly as heavy on a smith and I don't even go over about 225 or so. It tweaks my back. But free weight squats feel good to me.

But back to the subject at hand, I agree with Steve that it doesn't matter....BUT that said, the weight of the Smith bars are rarely 45 lbs. In fact ours at my gym is 22 lbs. Some have counter weights and some don't. the weight of a smith bar can be all over the map. I guess it's not a huge deal, but I'm into details
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I'm actually opposite. I can not squat nearly as heavy on a smith and I don't even go over about 225 or so. It tweaks my back. But free weight squats feel good to me.

But back to the subject at hand, I agree with Steve that it doesn't matter....BUT that said, the weight of the Smith bars are rarely 45 lbs. In fact ours at my gym is 22 lbs. Some have counter weights and some don't. the weight of a smith bar can be all over the map. I guess it's not a huge deal, but I'm into details
Good point Rick.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

i just broke into the 700's, but need to get vids
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
nighttrain
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68

Air Hockey Average Champion! Football Frenzy Champion! Yahtzee! Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 20+
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post

this is the same issue i have, i just dont know what the weight is on the smith at my gym... i just count the weight like it was a 45 pound bar, but i know it is not tottally correct and it has counter weights...

i realy dont care what the weight is as long as i get a good work out.. but for chest pounding reasons everyone likes the BIG numbers...

as far as ass to grass goes, i cant even squat ass to grass with no weight on my back, but i do try to get legs parralell when i squat.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

These is a sticker on many Smith machines. Bar weight is usually 15 or 25 pounds.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #17
nighttrain
Max Brawn

nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast

no damn stickers on the machines ive looked all over, screw it i will just count the weight on the machine not the machine its self.... so that takes my max squat down to 430.... which really isnt that much different than my free weight squat of 405...
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I would add at least 15 NT.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

2D Knock-Out Champion! Lost for Words - Football Teams Champion!
Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

i discussed the smith machine aspect on another board one time and did a little research on it. basically if it is a counter weighted machine the bar will be anywhere from 15-25 lbs but this is not the total issue. even after you add weight the counter weight is still there. but how to think of it is like this..........

say you have 5lbs of counterweight to the 45 lb bar. obviously this will make 45 seem really light. now add two wheels to it and the counterweight does not remain as effective. now if you were to put 300 plus pounds of weight on the bar the counterweight becomes almost obsolete and the bar that is 45lbs starts to factor more towards its actual weight. at what point these #'s work at what % i do not know. some really smart guy probably has a formula but i am not that guy.

hope this makes sense and doesn't seem like babble.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
nighttrain
Max Brawn

hell you know what im just gona start counting plates and when i get to 12 plates then i will be happy....