Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default an idea for the forum?????

here just an idea i thought maybe we'd (well really BTB since hes in charge) would like to include.

i understand a lot of ppl wouldnt give a **** about this, but as we get new members it would just be a way for them to see what everyone can put up

Here are the two possibilities:

-Stickied threads at the top of the PL section for different 3 lift Total poundages. (not sure what weight these are typically for, but an ex: 1000 lbs club)

-A list of everyones 3 lift total starting from the highest.
------ if this happened, we could have a list of top squats, top benches, top deadlifts, and 3 lift total lists


WHY?
-sometimes im just curious as to what people lift and it would be an easy way to find out.
-It would promote friendly competion and inspire people to move up the rankings.
-other reasons i cant think of because im tired.



-you wouldnt have to be on there or anything, so if you didnt want on it you wouldnt have to.
------we all respect eachother here, so even those like myself with weaker lifts, would be respected
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 80,900
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
Reputation: 2581830
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
here just an idea i thought maybe we'd (well really BTB since hes in charge) would like to include.

i understand a lot of ppl wouldnt give a **** about this, but as we get new members it would just be a way for them to see what everyone can put up

Here are the two possibilities:

-Stickied threads at the top of the PL section for different 3 lift Total poundages. (not sure what weight these are typically for, but an ex: 1000 lbs club)

-A list of everyones 3 lift total starting from the highest.
------ if this happened, we could have a list of top squats, top benches, top deadlifts, and 3 lift total lists


WHY?
-sometimes im just curious as to what people lift and it would be an easy way to find out.
-It would promote friendly competion and inspire people to move up the rankings.
-other reasons i cant think of because im tired.



-you wouldnt have to be on there or anything, so if you didnt want on it you wouldnt have to.
------we all respect eachother here, so even those like myself with weaker lifts, would be respected
I thought about doing that.

One stipulation though is that the lifts need to be on video. Sound fair enough?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
big valsalva
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
 
big valsalva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,614
Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
Reputation: 72128
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast
Default

I had a similar idea, but I was thinking more along the lines of a PR Thread.
Everytime you hit a PR (for reps, singles, whatever), post it up and let's all celebrate! It may be less competitive in nature, but certainly less intimidating to the beginner lifter. Just my thought. Thanks for bringing this up, kman. My 3 lift total wouldn't qualify for a "Sticky."
__________________
Bogdan Petia Sarac - Must keel moose and squirrel

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default

a thought on the video thing....

most of us post vids regularly. i dont think anyones trying to fruad out of the core members.

i can set new maxes nearly weekly, so it would be rediculous to tape all of them.

maybe to a point it could be just an honor system. but someone couldnt just show up and post some BS. and if you were going to pass someone up vids would be required... i dont know.

FOR WHICH IDEA WERE YOU TALKING ABOUT? if its the 1st (the poundage clubs) then YES VIDS REQUIRED.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
I had a similar idea, but I was thinking more along the lines of a PR Thread.
Everytime you hit a PR (for reps, singles, whatever), post it up and let's all celebrate! It may be less competitive in nature, but certainly less intimidating to the beginner lifter. Just my thought. Thanks for bringing this up, kman. My 3 lift total wouldn't qualify for a "Sticky."
lol no problem....

i thought the list could maybe motivate people, rather than intimidate.... no one here is going to make fun of anyone else.

also it could still be a list of top lifters (we could edit the 1st post) and then people could post whenever they hit a big PR
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
glwanabe
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,268
Reputation: 148251
glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
My 3 lift total wouldn't qualify for a "Sticky."
Big deal. I'm sure it's better than some coach potato who only bends his elbow to stuff cheesepuff's down his pie hole.

Yo "K" quit calling yourself weak. Your not weak. Put the negative waves down Moriarity. "K" pay attention!

glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Big deal. I'm sure it's better than some coach potato who only bends his elbow to stuff cheesepuff's down his pie hole.

Yo "K" quit calling yourself weak. Your not weak. Put the negative waves down Moriarity. "K" pay attention!

lol nice vid.... i just meant me compared to BW or some of the new PLs on the boards
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
glwanabe
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,268
Reputation: 148251
glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
lol nice vid.... i just meant me compared to BW or some of the new PLs on the boards
Yea, so?

Look. We all have our own journey to walk. Your missing the beauty of the trip by focusing on the negative, andthinking that you can ever truely reach the end.

This sport is like a rainbow. Try as hard as you like but you will never truely reach the end of the rainbow. Enjoy the process of getting better at each session. Savor each workout for what it is. Enjoy your time with the bar at each session, and when your done walk away until you meet your friend again the next time. Be in the moment.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
Yea, so?

Look. We all have our own journey to walk. Your missing the beauty of the trip by focusing on the negative, andthinking that you can ever truely reach the end.

This sport is like a rainbow. Try as hard as you like but you will never truely reach the end of the rainbow. Enjoy the process of getting better at each session. Savor each workout for what it is. Enjoy your time with the bar at each session, and when your done walk away until you meet your friend again the next time. Be in the moment.
i definately enjoy the workouts and progressing.... its just i have certain points i need to get to before i consider myself strong (above average high school kid)

when i hit 350-400squat , 250-275 bench, and 450+ deadlift i will start to consider myself strong for my age and body
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
nighttrain
Senior Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
nighttrain's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,646
Training Exp: 20+
Reputation: 69074
nighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beastnighttrain is a lifting beast
Default

look K, you liftmore than your body weight on bench andsquat pretty close to double that, and your dead is more than double, you are strong....
__________________
Support our Troops
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
forum, idea


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bodybuilder: I have no idea what he is doing? BendtheBar General Board 14 02-07-2012 10:59 AM
Bad Fitness Idea #1 BendtheBar General Board 10 12-30-2011 04:06 PM
When is it a good idea to incorporate....? tank Powerlifting & Strength Training 7 12-19-2011 04:34 PM
Business idea Soldier General Fitness & Health 16 11-30-2011 09:25 AM
Buy Sell Trade Forum is Up! - Rules of the Forum BendtheBar General Board 0 01-29-2010 09:49 AM

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.