Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Beginner Starting Deadlift Weight (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1976)

BendtheBar 02-08-2010 01:16 PM

Beginner Starting Deadlift Weight

I was reading a discussion about starting deadlift weight. Someone asked a beginner why he was using 185 and rushing into heavy weight with the deadlift.

I have no perspective on this issue, as I started deadlifting after years of heavy squats. What is a normal starting range weight for a beginners? 135 to 185? I see beginners squatting in that range, so I figured 185 was normal.

I'm talking average young beginner with very little lifting experience.

LtL 02-08-2010 01:26 PM

I would say around 60kg's which I think converts to 135lb's in American money. I started higher as I, like you, didn't do dead's until I'd been lifting for a while.

LtL

BendtheBar 02-08-2010 01:38 PM

Thanks LtL. I was thinking that anything lower then 135 would create issues for most trainees because of plate size, but I wasn't sure if that was too much "starter weight."

jdmalm123 02-08-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 26431)
Thanks LtL. I was thinking that anything lower then 135 would create issues for most trainees because of plate size, but I wasn't sure if that was too much "starter weight."

a plate is good because of the 8" start height, but there are some who cannot SAFELY pull 135. Since NM adaptation takes a few weeks to months, a weight someone can pull safely (with good form) is often less than their actual limit.

You can always start with a lighter bar or use training wheels. You can also set 95# on the low pins in the power rack to mimic the height.

I have these for newbs and the ladies:

Power Systems | Aluminum Training Bar

Power Systems | Training Plates

RickB 02-08-2010 04:11 PM

I believe if you are going lower than 135 (like I did doing self-therapy on my back), then use racks set about the same height.

jslep 02-08-2010 04:38 PM

^good point.

MMA Max 02-08-2010 05:14 PM

For me and this means nothing lol I started at 100lbs the first time I deadlifted. Then when I was ok with the motion I went to 150lbs, Now that I am sure of myself I will rep 200lbs and try to power house between 300-400 but I try to keep it with in reason. When I doing alot of ground fighting it tears at my lower back and works my back in ways deadlifting cant hit. So I try not to hulk out and deadlift 1,000,000,000lbs =)

Grim83 02-08-2010 05:24 PM

am i the only one who is curious why the guy was against the kid going heavy

glwanabe 02-08-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim83 (Post 26491)
am i the only one who is curious why the guy was against the kid going heavy

A typical response that I read often is that lifting to heavy to soon leads to serious form issues. The E guru's warn of the to be feared, rounded back issue.

I think it's blown out of proportion myself. Do you think Cavemen worried about form when they caught females and slung them over thdeir shoulders?

Heck no! They just picked them up, and carried them home. They of course had to drag the bigger ones. This has evelved into todays current strongman competition. Except they don't use women any more.

jwood 02-08-2010 06:18 PM

I think 135 is a great starting point. Any less than that can be put in the racks, but most people I have seen are fine starting with 135. I personally think it is a good idea to squat for a little while before deadlifting. Once you have pretty good squat form, then learn the deadlift. I don;t like to teach serious beginners too much at one time, focus on one thing at a time. Once they have squatted a little bit, then deadlifting 135 probably will not be a problem. Form first and then they can move up in weight.

Maybe this is just the way I learned it, but I squatted for probably a few months before ever even attempting a deadlift. And then I was fine starting at weights around 185-200.