Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:26 AM   #1
AJM

AJM is off to a bad start
Question Needing a little advice

Hello muscle and brawn forum,

This is just the forum I have been looking for and I'm sure you pros can help me on the road to success.

I have, to be honest, and say I'm not a die-hard, dedicated gym attendee but I do go 4 times a week for an hour a time which is keeping me in shape. I have decided to take my lifting to the next level but I have hit a few brick walls that I'm clueless on how to overcome. Some of these questions might be a little dumb for you guys but I've only been in the gym 4 months solid and maybe a few months a while back, on and off, so please, bare with me.

First off is my deadlifts, this has to be my favorite workout! I love the feeling of your whole body working to pull up the weight. I have now reached 150kg at 3 sets of 6 reps but every time I try to go a little further my finger give way and I drop the bar, yet my body is still ready to keep going. I have seen the big guys on TV using the straps but I have no idea what they are called, brands and where to find them etc.

Second is more general, What is the best way to increase the weight I am lifting? For a while now I have been doing 40kg military presses but every time I try to throw another 10kg on my shoulders just can't handle the strain. This also applies for a few of my other muscle groups.

Last but not least, is it time for supplements? I wake up at 7 am everyday and hit the gym at 11 am but find it hard to eat in the morning. Just recently I have started feeling a little weaker when it comes to gym time. What kind of supplements should i think of introducing into mu diet?
AJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #2
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

For straps, I use blue twos. http://ironmind.com/product-info/tra...ifting-straps/
They've lasted several years of hard training and strongman contests. They're what the pros use.

For increasing weight, trying adding weight in smaller increments, especially for shoulder pressing. If you can add 2.5 kilos at a time, you'll make steady progress for much longer.

Supplements: You might try a protein shake in the morning, mixed with MCT oil or coconut oil if you need more calories.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
bennett5031
Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Dymatize ISO 100
bennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributorbennett5031 is a dedicated contributor

use some chalk and an over under grip on the deadlifts. My grip also needs some work, but it comes along eventually
Psalm 29:11 May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace!

TrainingLog:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/trai...w-program.html
bennett5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Shmeegs
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on for 15 yrs
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Compounds
Fav Supp: Moo cow f@$ milk
Shmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributor

For deadlifts, if you can use the hook grip, learn it. It's a much safer and better grip that a mixed grip. If you don't have the hand size, learn the mixed grip but practice good form. I have seen too many bicep tear videos to tell you that poor form, is the cause and you losing many months of training will be the effect.
I have just started using straps, and I only use them as a way of getting extra work on my deadlift. I still use the hook grip for my rep work but then I throw on the straps for some extra work. Don't use them as a clutch but don't fret about using them. Use them but don't over do it.
I'm impatient when it comes to adding weight, I have had to learn to relax a bit. If you add one rep, that's getting stronger. There is plenty of time to get stronger. As long as you are adding reps, then there is progress. If you aren't adding reps or weight, something in your life might be off and that needs fixed more that your routine.
I don't use a lot of supplements. I use protein powders as a way of adding extra protein when it's needed. But other than that, I don't use any. Stick with food and add supplements when needed. That's the idea of them. They are to be used IN ADDITION to your diet. I stick with black coffee as a pre workout and protein sources for muscle building.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4 Years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows
LindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master memberLindenGarcia18 is a master member

1.) don't rely on straps. By all means get a pair, but remember that if you always support your grip it's never going to get stronger. If you do get a pair, as Brute mentioned you can't go wrong with Iron Mind

2.) Adding 10KG is too much. As has been said you want to add smaller increments. go for 2.5kg when you do add weight, but also, make sure you're actually ready to move up.
As shmeegs mentioned we can often be too egar when it comes to adding weight. There are a few ways to progress such as shorter rest time between sets, adding reps and adding weight, so pick one and see how you go. Set yourself a goal and when you hit it with solid form add intensity to one aspect.
At this stage you likely just want to pack on weight and get used to physically moving a heavier, and heavier barbell.

3.) That depends on what you mean by supplements. You have your protein powders and such, then the pre-workouts, BCAA's (or the "intra-workout" category), your creatines and then your other compounds like beta-alanine, L-carnatine etc used at various times as different types of protein synthesis and absorption aids.

I personally don't take any of the above other than a protein supplement, though you may find that works for you (creatine is pretty universally known for its capabilities, and pre-workouts are beneficial to a lot of people but the others you'll find mixed opinions about)

You certainly don't NEED sups but you might find something that you could see being beneficial for you.
Do a little research and weigh it up.

Good luck!

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 02-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
dlocas
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started in Jan. 2013
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Mac and cheese
dlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM View Post

First off is my deadlifts, this has to be my favorite workout! I love the feeling of your whole body working to pull up the weight. I have now reached 150kg at 3 sets of 6 reps but every time I try to go a little further my finger give way and I drop the bar, yet my body is still ready to keep going. I have seen the big guys on TV using the straps but I have no idea what they are called, brands and where to find them etc.

Second is more general, What is the best way to increase the weight I am lifting? For a while now I have been doing 40kg military presses but every time I try to throw another 10kg on my shoulders just can't handle the strain. This also applies for a few of my other muscle groups.

Last but not least, is it time for supplements? I wake up at 7 am everyday and hit the gym at 11 am but find it hard to eat in the morning. Just recently I have started feeling a little weaker when it comes to gym time. What kind of supplements should i think of introducing into mu diet?
Hi,

Your message says that you have a particular liking for deadlifting and overhead pressing. I will give my opinion for each of the lifts, and then a general observation about eating.

Deadlift - You are now at 150 kilos for 3 straight sets of 6. It looks like you do this once a week after some warm-up sets. If you ramped up the weights, you would probably already be capable of doing something like 120 x 5, 140 x 5 and 160 x 5. If you have straps, you could use them only on the last and heaviest set. Doing a second, lighter deadlift session during the week would help with your pulling technique and your grip (the poundage would be kept light and the sets shorter, but more numerous, something like 80 kg / 100 kg / 120 kg, two triples at each weight for 6 x 3 total reps).

Your grip strength should creep up over time. You can also wrap up each session by holding the bar for 5-10 seconds on your upper thighs after finishing the last set's rep; at any rate, put the bar down if you feel you're gonna drop it; the point is to spend more time holding the bar without trying to beat a record every time (you're bound to have awesome sessions and off-days, with the typical session falling somewhere in between).

Press -- The overhead press entails a good deal of technique. If your core is rigidly braced, and if you contract your lats to help your shoulders start the press, you will be able to lift more (your lats should "push" on your upper arms, making it easier to initiate the lift). Try and see if you can lift more using a narrower (or wider) grip; there are a lot of individual differences at play, and I can only give my own example: I've found that my leverages are such that I'm strongest with a grip just outside shoulder-width. I've had great progress with frequent sessions using rather easy loads, along with the occasional gung-ho PR session. If you can do 40 kilos for reps, you are probably able to do five doubles or triples in good form at that weight, and such a session wouldn't be too taxing, so you could repeat it later in the week (or perhaps use a little less weight and do 5-8 triples).

The press requires a great deal of coordination, and the lifter will often feel the bar lighter as efficiency is improved. I've personnally seen some success by greasing the groove. Low-rep sets allow for superior rep quality, which is very important in pressing anything overhead; generally, more quality reps can be done. Once technique is solidly ingrained, you could experiment with longer sets or even singles (on occasion). Over time, you will become able to use 50k and more, but just wait until you are ready to do so.

To be able to press big weights, everything needs to be strong from head to toe, especially the muscles around the shoulders, including upper back. I personally always clean the bar before pressing it, and I do train the clean. If you're like most guys in a gym, you are pressing off a squat rack. Besides some form of horizontal pressing, I feel that my press has gained from old-fashion cleans using a lot of upper-body power; today's weightlifters rely almost solely on lower body; my pulling technique is quite different, but it does build muscle and strength in the entire upper body, and as such, I think it is better suited for pressing power.

If you have no wish to learn such cleans and high pulls, I'd say doing something like Pendlay Rows and Dumbbell Rows would be of assistance. At one point, the serious rower will need straps to hold the weight, as it is possible to progress to some really heavy weights; and I don't mean 50-kilo dumbbells; I rather mean 80-k and up for reps! And dumbbells are a bitch to hold on to.

Eating - If you have trouble getting something to eat before your 11 am session, try drinking a large glass of milk or, better still, a protein shake with as many calories as possible, about 1 hour before the session (this along with some fruits and cookies if possible). I don't know how much you weigh or if you are the type of person who gains easily, but I can say that some lifters are able to build a lot of muscle (over their 2-3 first training years) with regular food only (such was my case). Some protein shakes and vitamins don't hurt either.

Natural lifters who train and eat properly from the get-go generally build most of their muscles during those first years. Past that, gains still come, but at a much, much slower rate; yet strength can be improved in different ways. This may be a somewhat sensitive topic, but I'll say this: as a natural, I don't compare my achievements to those of steroid users; I respect their choice, but they don't give me much helpful goals to shoot for.

I've done a lot of reading about the pre-steroid era, and I know for a fact that around 1940, a 500-lb deadlift (227 k) was a good result and 600+ (270+ k) was truly outstanding (above 330 k with a regular bar was the strength of all-time greats such as Hermann Goerner). In overhead strength, 200 lbs (91 k) was the milestone of a true barbell-man (lighter lifters could jerk it, but heavier men were expected to strict press this), and the best outliers would put up 135 kilos and more (such as Manger in 1936). Most people walking this Earth have the potential to hit some pretty good numbers, as you sometimes see in life-or-death situations.

I hope this helped some. Congrats on your progress, and keep on lifting. Most gym rats don't even deadlift and overhead press!

Last edited by dlocas; 02-07-2017 at 05:04 PM.
dlocas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #7
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Just find a solid linear periodization type program and follow it. Will fix the adding weight issue.

Train your grip, dumbbell holds are one of my go to favorite. Along with double over hand shrugs.
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
jdmalm123
Train, Eat, Rest, Repeat!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 26
Fav Exercise: BP, MP, SQ & DL
Fav Supp: Bacon & Eggs
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Train your grip, dumbbell holds are one of my go to favorite.
Questions: To failure? In what time frame?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Questions: To failure? In what time frame?

Thanks!
I vary it, sometimes for time sometimes till failure.
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:00 AM   #10
jdmalm123
Train, Eat, Rest, Repeat!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 26
Fav Exercise: BP, MP, SQ & DL
Fav Supp: Bacon & Eggs
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I vary it, sometimes for time sometimes till failure.
Thanks, big guy!