Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
PL3
New Brawn

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
PL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributor
Default Novice Powerlifting Program

Looking for feedback on this novice powerlifting program.

Haven't been lifting too long so numbers are still weak. 80kg squat, 65kg bench, 90kg deadlift @ 70kg body weight.

Monday

Competition Lifts:
Squat 3x5
Paused Bench 3x5
Deadlift 3x5

Accessories:
Rows 3 sets
Triceps 3 sets
Face Pulls 3 sets

Wednesday

Competition Lift Variations:
Paused Squat 3x8
Close Grip Bench 3x8
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3x8

Accessories:
Chinups 3 sets
Overhead Press 3 sets
Rows 3 sets

Friday

Competition Lifts:
Squat 3x5
Paused Bench 3x5
Deadlift 3x5

Accessories:
Rows 3 sets
Triceps 3 sets
Face Pulls 3 sets

I will try to add 5kg to squats and deads each time and 2.5kg to bench each time, but if I have to go slower than that so be it. Everything else I will try to add a small amount of weight whenever I can. I think eventually when I get stronger I might have to up the bench volume and lower the deadlift volume to keep progressing but I will take that as it comes.

Last edited by PL3; 01-29-2017 at 07:23 PM.
PL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 32
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite memberSandbox is an elite member

Hi PL3,

There are a lot of opinions out there and although I've been training / competing for 30+ years - I am not qualified to comment. I suck as a trainer. But....... there is one guy on here who I trust completely. His advice is the soundest I have read: Miked96. Reach out....he's nails.

BTW - welcome. This is a great board. Nothing but support. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
jdmalm123
Train, Eat, Rest, Repeat!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 26
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: BP, MP, SQ & DL
Fav Supp: Bacon & Eggs
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Sanbox is right, MIKED96 is one of the top sources for effective training critique.

Is your program based on the Texas Method?
Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 AM   #4
one-X-life
Straight Edge
New Brawn

one-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributorone-X-life is a dedicated contributor

5 3 1
one-X-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:14 AM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

In my experience, a splitroutine trumphs everything for a beginner. 4 day a week, chest/legs/shoulders/back with the bench/squat/press/dealift followed by heavy bodybuilding.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Nezzy
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Beef
Nezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beastNezzy is a lifting beast

Read this thread, has some of the best advice I've ever read:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/intr...erlifting.html
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
miked96
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 25
Fav Exercise: Squat
miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!miked96 is one with Crom!

So I dont have to retype it a bunch of times. I covered the first 5 years or more of your programming in the last post for full body training.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/show...994#post601994

Last edited by miked96; 01-30-2017 at 11:02 AM.
miked96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
PL3
New Brawn

PL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributorPL3 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
Hi PL3,

There are a lot of opinions out there and although I've been training / competing for 30+ years - I am not qualified to comment. I suck as a trainer. But....... there is one guy on here who I trust completely. His advice is the soundest I have read: Miked96. Reach out....he's nails.

BTW - welcome. This is a great board. Nothing but support. Good luck.
Thanks for the Welcome Sandbox, and the more opinions the better (I think, as long as I don't let it confuse me).
Old 01-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
PL3
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Sanbox is right, MIKED96 is one of the top sources for effective training critique.

Is your program based on the Texas Method?
Not entirely, I think the Texas method has a volume day, light day and max effort day. Mine has less volume on the volume day, a kind of light day and the same 'kind of' volume day again on Friday instead of a 5rm attempt. I didn't think of the Texas method at all when putting this together but I suppose it has some small similarities.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
PL3
New Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-X-life View Post
5 3 1
I think that would better suit me after I've used linear progression for as long as I can.