Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Stienthor
Brawn

Training Exp: with weights 1+ yr
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Squat
Stienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good posts
Default Warm up issues

Ok. With some hit and miss attempts to figure it out myself and a huge boost from recent vid of Steve's, I figured out my warm up issues (almost)
My issue now is my OHP. My weight is not that great. Currently only 125. 5x5. Have tried multiple empty bars sets at 12-15 then going to75-95 for anywhere from doubles to singles. Basically nothing I try is helping me go through my first 2 working sets being a grind and the others being a lot easier. Based on Stevens vid it caused by not being warmed up which confirmed my suspicions. My DL squat and BP I do not have this issue. Have a base weight and increase by 50 till I at working weight. With OHP I do not have a bunch of transition room.

Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stienthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Dray
aka
Max Brawn

Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!Dray is one with Crom!

Disclaimer: I ain't no expert. Can only pass on observations and experience from this "intermediate" PoV, fwiw.

That said, I've never had a problem with OHP. Easiest lift for me, if anything. Best strict press thus far is 80kg (~176.4lbs) for a triple - not amazing, but not terrible either.

What strikes me is that 5x5, sets across, could just be a bit much. Maybe try ramping sets, or dropping to 3x5. These are both very popular "next steps" for people doing, say, the Stronglifts routine.

Anyway, again for what it's worth, my warmups - if I was doing 125lbs for the working sets - might look like this (after general warmup stuff): bar x 6 or so, 75 x 3, 105 x 1

Not used to thinking in pounds , but I think that's about right. Yeah, I might err on the side of minimal warmups.

best gym lifts: sq 160kg / bp 110kg / dl 190kg /
c&p 80kg / dips +50kg / chins +31.25kg

my training log
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Stienthor
Brawn

Stienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good postsStienthor has made some good posts

thanks for the input Dray. do not think I have ever tried the more minimal warm up. So gonna give it a try. At this point I am at trial and error, so have nothing to loose.

THanks again
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Shmeegs
Brawn

Training Exp: Off and on for 15 yrs
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Compounds
Fav Supp: Moo cow f@$ milk
Shmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributorShmeegs is a dedicated contributor

The issue with the OHP may not be warm up related. It may not even be the shoulders or the triceps either. My issue with the overhead press is that my core seems to give out prior to my pressing muscles. Try adding some extra core work in there. I went from 135 for 3x1 to 150 for 3x5 in two weeks, by adding extra core work in there. It helped me, it may work for you. But then again, I don't do much warming up either if at all. So what do I know?
Shmeegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Stretch your shoulders out between your warmup sets, and try going up to a single or double with a heavier weight than your worksets.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #6
Stienthor
Brawn

Will keep the ideas in
Mind gents for my next day of OHP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #7
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!yangwenbin is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmeegs View Post
The issue with the OHP may not be warm up related. It may not even be the shoulders or the triceps either. My issue with the overhead press is that my core seems to give out prior to my pressing muscles. Try adding some extra core work in there. I went from 135 for 3x1 to 150 for 3x5 in two weeks, by adding extra core work in there. It helped me, it may work for you. But then again, I don't do much warming up either if at all. So what do I know?
Put aside a core weakness possibility, what you may need is more core warming up before pressing. I recall from the time I was doing full body that my press was feeling very strong if I deadlifted just before. Recently, the rack was taken so I did my pressing session by cleaning the bar then pressing, felt strong...
If I'm not mistaken, you press then deadlift in the same session, maybe switching the order you lift may help...my two cents!

Training log
yangwenbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #8
dlocas
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started in Jan. 2013
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Mac and cheese
dlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master memberdlocas is a master member

Overhead pressing is peculiar, at least for some. At times, I do experiment stronger sets after the first and second ones, even when the warm-up felt great. At other times, warm-up is so-so, then I completely destroy the weight on work sets. Go figure!

There must be many factors contributing to this, perhaps previous work done during the session (or previous day's work). Warm-ups and work sets are more consistent since I've started doing my pressing first thing in the session and doing them more frequently (depends on what you focus on); I always clean the bar from the floor (I have no rack), so it's best done while my core is fresh. I may press at a later stage, but then I'll reduce the load somewhat.

If I was at 125 lbs 5 x 5 with a 1RM of about 150-160, my typical warm-up would look like this: the bar 2 x 5 (replicating the exact groove as much as possible; you want to ingrain the best pattern); 75 lbs 2 x 3, 95 2 x 2, 115 x 1, then work sets. A single at a heavier weight is also a great way to prepare the nervous system (it could be [...] 135 x 1 then work sets = 125 lbs 5 x 5).

Last edited by dlocas; 02-08-2016 at 03:34 PM.
dlocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Stienthor
Brawn

well with the advice given here I am finding my lift is doing much better. thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.