Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My shoulders have always disliked isolations. They took quite a beating in my teens from pitching about a thousand innings a year...we had a playground across from my house. Whenever I do too maybe laterals or flyes, I start to feel a bit rough.

And I'm not sure what my issue is with curls, but too many sets and my tendinitis flares up quickly.

I am mentally like Mulder...I want to believe in isolations...but physically I am Scully...I've never really used them, and have a hard time seeing the value.

I hope no one reading this equates my sentiments as meaning "they have no value". I just - personally - see no value in them.

But if they helped my joints, I'm sure I would use them for pre-hab.
Yeah, tiny variations in your joints can really make high rep iso's a bad thing...you know well enough to do what works for you.

Have you researched tendonitis vs tendonosis?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
Yeah, tiny variations in your joints can really make high rep iso's a bad thing...you know well enough to do what works for you.

Have you researched tendonitis vs tendonosis?
No...I have never heard of the latter.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

Quote:
No...I have never heard of the latter.
In some senses, they are synonyms, but as I use it, tendonosis is when tendonitis becomes chronic (which can also mean it surfaces anytime you do something that triggers it).

I'll PM you a link...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
In some senses, they are synonyms, but as I use it, tendonosis is when tendonitis becomes chronic (which can also mean it surfaces anytime you do something that triggers it).

I'll PM you a link...
Thanks. I'll look for it.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:

I added in more bicep work, a forearm exercise, rear laterals, calf raises, and leg curls. My joints are utterly beat up right now, and my elbow tendinitis is coming back. My curl form is locked down, so it's not a form issue.

I have found that my joints feel better when I avoid isolation work. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but when I stick with basics/compounds my joints feel great.
My biceps kill me if I do too much direct work. Same with anything, I been doing so much compound work my body doesn't heal enough for me to get into much isolation work, at least nothing heavy but who cares since compound movements will make you stronger even on isolation movements but the same for isolation is not as true for compound. Mix it up, do what works, kick what doesn't. It doesn't make sense to stop deadlifting squating overhead and bench pressing just so I can do some heavy curls and two armed db tricep extensions, when I know I can lift heavy isolation if I wasn't doing heavy compound, risk verus award for strength isn't worth it. Total body > parts of the body always.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
My biceps kill me if I do too much direct work. Same with anything, I been doing so much compound work my body doesn't heal enough for me to get into much isolation work, at least nothing heavy but who cares since compound movements will make you stronger even on isolation movements but the same for isolation is not as true for compound. Mix it up, do what works, kick what doesn't. It doesn't make sense to stop deadlifting squating overhead and bench pressing just so I can do some heavy curls and two armed db tricep extensions, when I know I can lift heavy isolation if I wasn't doing heavy compound, risk verus award for strength isn't worth it. Total body > parts of the body always.
I completely agree...but...

Biceps act as a stabilizer for a heavy bench. I have concluded that my current shoulder injury is a result of not enough direct bicep work (or, not enough balance between my biceps and pressing...)

I was noticing my right bicep trying to tell me something on my heavy benching. When I jumped the weight up, my right arm struggled to stabilize the weight...since the bicep attaches at the shoulder, when the weight was too much for my bicep to stabilize, my shoulder lifted reflexively (to relieve the straining bicep) and I partially separated my AC joint (thankfully, minor, but it's been bugging me for months).

So, direct biceps? In the rotation, but not a matter of "always vs never."
Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #27
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine
Default C&Ps diet

ChAoSandPAIN - free online diet and fitness journal

this is C&P's diet. doesnt this seem like little food?

just wondering what you guys think.

to me it just seems that he'd need more than this

(in know way trying to talk ****, the man obviously know what hes doing)
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #28
Bodybygamma
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
ChAoSandPAIN - free online diet and fitness journal

this is C&P's diet. doesnt this seem like little food?

just wondering what you guys think.

to me it just seems that he'd need more than this

(in know way trying to talk ****, the man obviously know what hes doing)
435.3grams of protein 3,000 calories, low carbs of 50 ratio, he is prob cutting or thats how he stays lean.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #29
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
435.3grams of protein 3,000 calories, low carbs of 50 ratio, he is prob cutting.
i guess so.... some of the days were as low as 2600-2700 cals. just thought thats super low, maybe not?????, especially for all the muscle he has
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #30
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
I completely agree...but...

Biceps act as a stabilizer for a heavy bench. I have concluded that my current shoulder injury is a result of not enough direct bicep work (or, not enough balance between my biceps and pressing...)

I was noticing my right bicep trying to tell me something on my heavy benching. When I jumped the weight up, my right arm struggled to stabilize the weight...since the bicep attaches at the shoulder, when the weight was too much for my bicep to stabilize, my shoulder lifted reflexively (to relieve the straining bicep) and I partially separated my AC joint (thankfully, minor, but it's been bugging me for months).

So, direct biceps? In the rotation, but not a matter of "always vs never."
I actually get bicep pumps from benching when taking creatine. I really have to point and nothing to add other then this.