Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Chicken every day Homie!
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Buying a Rogue Ohio Bar. Black Oxide or Black Zinc Finish?

Title says it all. I have no idea which one to get. Apparently the Black oxide has a better feel, but rusts easier.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Got2Squat
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Ibuprofen
Got2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributor

I have one or the other and can't even remember which one at this point. If I were to do it over again, I think I would probably just get bare steel. I don't think the black finish is one that will last a lifetime. It has held up well so far though, and I love the bar. Awesome knurling.

I got the Rogue Ohio Power Bar. Didn't want a whippy olympic bar. I figure if I ever start doing olympic lifts I will get a good olympic bar, but I have low ceilings so not likely to happen anytime soon.

Squat 405 8/8/2015
Bench 265 7/6/2015
Deadlift 465 7/6/2015
Total 1135 @ 196
Got2Squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Squat View Post
I have one or the other and can't even remember which one at this point. If I were to do it over again, I think I would probably just get bare steel. I don't think the black finish is one that will last a lifetime. It has held up well so far though, and I love the bar. Awesome knurling.

I got the Rogue Ohio Power Bar. Didn't want a whippy olympic bar. I figure if I ever start doing olympic lifts I will get a good olympic bar, but I have low ceilings so not likely to happen anytime soon.
You bring up a good point. I wonder if a power bar wouldn't be better suited for me. I squat, bench, dead and ohp but I also do power cleans.
What does everyone think?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Food
fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!fenrisulfr is one with Crom!

What about the rogue Westside bar?
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Got2Squat
Uber Brawn

Got2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributorGot2Squat is a dedicated contributor

Well, I think the center knurl might be an issue if you power clean a lot....I definitely would NOT wear a tank top power cleaning with this bar. With a cotton t-shirt on, it may be a non issue. On the other hand, I hate low bar squatting with bars without center knurling.

The power bar is very stiff with very little whip, which is what I wanted. I don't want the bar bouncing around while I'm trying to squat heavy, especially when I get strong some day and have some serious weight on the bar. So I think it's a great choice if you are only going to have one bar and are not doing full olympic lifts.

Squat 405 8/8/2015
Bench 265 7/6/2015
Deadlift 465 7/6/2015
Total 1135 @ 196
Old 08-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #6
Ramrod
Road to 1300
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 14
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Steak
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

If you low bar squat. Just grab some Athletic Tape and Tear it in half long ways. Wrap the center with 1in gap between wraps one way. Then repeat the other way. Making a X-Shape Pattern. Works great for Grip on Squats. Just add Chalk.

As for what BB you choose.. Not sure.. Been looking at them for a while too.

"LOGBOOK" for 10% off and Free Stuff from www.Prowriststraps.com
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
Got2Squat
Uber Brawn

The other thing I will add is that the knurling on this bar is amazing...its very very grippy but at the same time not so rough that it will destroy your hands. Much better than any bar I have ever used before.

Squat 405 8/8/2015
Bench 265 7/6/2015
Deadlift 465 7/6/2015
Total 1135 @ 196
Old 08-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
BigJosh
Max Brawn

I still haven't ordered. I am confused on whether to get an Ohio bar for Squat, Bench, Deads, OHP and Power Cleans, or an Ohio Power Bar

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'd suggest the power bar. I don't have one from rogue, but my texas power bar is friggin amazing for all the stuff I do. Its alright for deadlifts, but I got a DL bar for that.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Got2Squat
Uber Brawn

The main differences are:
1) center knurling on the power bar. I like that for squats
2) power bars are stiff, and not bendy like olympic bars.

I bought the bar to use for the next 20+ years, and I don't want the bar bending and bouncing all over the place when I am trying to squat 500+ pounds someday.

Up till now, I cannot power clean, but I think for a powerlifting focus, the power bar is better.

However, a possible advantage, if you want to look at it that way, of the non power bar is that it will bend more in the deadlift. A bar that bends more allows you to deadlift a bit more due to all the "give" in the bar at the start of the pull. You get a good couple inches or so advantage. If you can pull more weight this way, will it make you stronger faster? I don't know.

So I suppose it also depends on how much weight you see yourself lifting someday. I squatted 405 on a non power bar at the YMCA and did not notice much whip. So this may be a non issue until you get past a certain point....

Squat 405 8/8/2015
Bench 265 7/6/2015
Deadlift 465 7/6/2015
Total 1135 @ 196