Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!
Default The Truth About Your Icon

I think most people would enjoy this article. I started my part of this over a year ago, and just sort of waited for the right time to pass it on. Enjoy!

Quote:
I love the world of social media, I really do. It has given so many quality lifters a sounding board to teach, and young lifters to learn. I also hate social media for nearly the same reason. It has become an avenue thst lifters that have no business providing advice the chance to blab away! What makes it even worse is when these guys kiss enough ass to have articles on some of the biggest strength sites in the business. I guess that would be because in some instances the owner of the site is just another Internet guru who never lifted shit either.

I will be the first to admit, I am not the best lifter in the world. In fact, I have a LONG way to go. I try to never pass myself off as a know it all, or an elitist in this sport, because honestly I have a lot to learn. The longer I have been around the sport, the more I see the guys giving advice online are NOT the ones you should be listening to. To quote a good friend of mine, Brian Carroll, ďIf you believe the about the author sections in these things, just about everybody writing a book is either a world record holder, a world champion, a professional lifter, or a big time strength coach. And itís all total bullshit, because there are very few of us around, and most of us havenít written books.Ē
http://www.powerrackstrength.com/the...out-your-icon/
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Good article JB. Thanks for your help.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Good post, big guy !! ( as always )
Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
Sandbox
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master memberSandbox is a master member

Truth.

And...there is truth in icons. Mine: I love big women.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

I liked this,

Quote:
Iíve said it before, if you really want to learn from the best, ask them. Most of them will be more than willing to invite you to their establishment or locale. Iím being serious. They really will.
It's very true. The best got to be the best because they love this stuff so much, and they want to spread it around.

He doesn't say it, but the flipside of that is, you really get to know the value of what your guru says. Once you're there in person you can see what they are like, what's happening at their gym, and so on. It helps you put their advice in context.

And it's why as someone who trains people, I put their best lifts in my sig. So if I chuck out some advice you can gauge its worth from that - results. I think you have to know where your strengths and weaknesses are, both in your own lifting and in coaching. Best to be straight-up, I think. Humbling sometimes...
Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
Call_Me_Ishmael
Uber Brawn

Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Overhead Press
Fav Supp: Bacon
Call_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machineCall_Me_Ishmael is a lifting machine

Quote:
. I have seen guys claim crazy numbers in the gym only to be miles short on the platform.
Online every youtube commenter/ anonymous forum poster claims 315 bench, at least 400 pound dead lift, and a 500 pound squat.

When I go the the gym, I see guys half- repping 225 on the bench, half- squatting 275 (if they squat at all). Only a handful of people do dead lifts, and when they do it's often 135- 225 for reps of 6-10.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_Me_Ishmael View Post
Online every youtube commenter/ anonymous forum poster claims 315 bench, at least 400 pound dead lift, and a 500 pound squat.

When I go the the gym, I see guys half- repping 225 on the bench, half- squatting 275 (if they squat at all). Only a handful of people do dead lifts, and when they do it's often 135- 225 for reps of 6-10.
So true ..... and then if someone does admit they are working hard to get to 1000lb total ( or have gotten there) they get ridiculed for being " weak "
An example is the recent Hugh Jackman 1000lb total. On the internet - everybody benches 500 but oddly enough, nobody posts much video. They talk crap when someone does well but you never see thenm doing any better. Odd.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've met a lot of these "so called" experts, fitness celebrities and gurus in person. Trust me, 90% look a lot smaller and weaker in person.

Attached Thumbnails
nick.jpg  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've met a lot of these "so called" experts, fitness celebrities and gurus in person. Trust me, 90% look a lot smaller and weaker in person.

Most are a big disappointment in person.

Steve Goggins is one of the few I have met and was still impressed by

Chuck V was another

If Brian Carroll ever reads this I will say BTB changed it, but he was a guy a respected and became very close with.

The whole point of my section is that you need to really look at these people you take advice from. Nothing wrong with listening to everyone, but taking their opinion as gold should be reserved for a small group.
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw

Last edited by J_Byrd; 05-29-2015 at 11:27 AM.
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

I don't have a problem with youtube guys like nick right. They've been a huge part of the growth of powerlifting, and from what I've seen most of their advice is good for someone who is starting out. It's usually far better advice than you see in magazines. And of course there are guys like Candito, and even though I've never met him, he seems like a really good, down to earth dude who genuinely wants to help people and promote the sport. And those squats doe.

Anyways, that's all I have to say about that. I work with some guys who want to powerlift, but until I get real competition experience I'm never going to claim to be a real powerlifting coach. Honestly, though, you don't need amazing numbers to blow people away. I've pulled 605 and I can pull 500 any day of the week under any conditions, and that's all it takes for people to be like "shit, you're strong!"
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote