Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
Barbell88
Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: 2" bar clean and press
Fav Supp: N.o explode pre workout
Barbell88 is new to the forumBarbell88 is new to the forum
Default Training cycle?

Hey guys progression has been slow lately, I have made a few small jumps on a couple of lifts but not many, thinking of maybe starting an 8 week linear cycle on my big lifts or should I just keep grinding it out and taking drops in weight now and then to break through plateau? Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barbell88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2015, 03:43 AM   #2
Primate
New Brawn

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Coffee
Primate is off to a bad start

Couldn't hurt to change it up for 8-12 weeks and see what kind of results you get.

Do you have a meet coming up?
Primate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:19 AM   #3
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member

I'm no expert in programming, but what I have found useful when stalling on the big lifts (especially bench) is to have a heavy session and a lighter volume session.
Another strategy I used on squats is doing triples until I hit a wall then backing off and do 5 reps sets, adding weights until I reach the same weight as my heavier triple. Also, on squats, some really benefit from paused reps with lighter weights.
Of course, you could simply run any linear or periodized program that fits you best as well! Like JB says, many ways to get stronger!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 AM   #4
Barbell88
Brawn

Default Training cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Couldn't hurt to change it up for 8-12 weeks and see what kind of results you get.

Do you have a meet coming up?

I have got an odd lift meet in 2 weeks and strong man on Sunday but want change anything until after , yeah think I will give it a try can't do any harm

Last edited by Barbell88; 05-20-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Barbell88
Brawn

Default Training cycle?

Think I'm going to start 5/3/1 that way I can still train fullbody, incorporate the o lifts, and it is easy to add in competition lifts as accessorys with out pulling my hair out, or changing the program to much, sounds like win win really

Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell88 View Post
I have got an odd lift meet in 2 weeks and strong man on Sunday but want change anything until after , yeah think I will give it a try can't do any harm

I will take a stab at this.......

Serving too many masters, hard to be good at everything. Focus on one and everything else has to be secondary.
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Barbell88
Brawn

That's the joy of all round lifting some lifts your good at some you are not, my main focus is the 3 power lifts they are the staple of what ever I'm training for, I just accessorise every thing else as and when, every one is in the same boat

Old 05-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
That's the joy of all round lifting some lifts your good at some you are not, my main focus is the 3 power lifts they are the staple of what ever I'm training for, I just accessorise every thing else as and when, every one is in the same boat

Then you need to focus on the 3 power lifts and make those improve. When you take a program and change it out the way you are doing you are not running that program anymore. You are then running just the rep scheme and not setting yourself up to be successful. From a coaching perspective this is backwards as can be, but at the end of the day its lifting and you need to do what you enjoy.
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
Old 05-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Barbell88
Brawn

Default Training cycle?

This is why I'm thinking of changing up to 5/3/1 that way I can keep progressing on the big lifts, whilst changing the accessory work, wendlers recommends changing the accessory stuff every couple of cycles, I understand what your saying tough simple progression is the way forward, but I do enjoy the all round stuff and I have done pretty well so far, but you defiantly do sacrifice a bit of progress to do well at these meets, would you not recommend 5/3/1 then?

Also when I say as and when, I don't mean when I feel I mean for a meet for example the meet in August has a dumbbell press as lift so nearer the meet I will change close grip bench press to dumbbell press as this is my only press accessory, I can't really work out a simpler way of doing this with out adding more volume, any ideas would be appreciated

Last edited by Barbell88; 05-21-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Quote:
This is why I'm thinking of changing up to 5/3/1 that way I can keep progressing on the big lifts, whilst changing the accessory work, wendlers recommends changing the accessory stuff every couple of cycles, I understand what your saying tough simple progression is the way forward, but I do enjoy the all round stuff and I have done pretty well so far, but you defiantly do sacrifice a bit of progress to do well at these meets, would you not recommend 5/3/1 then?

Also when I say as and when, I don't mean when I feel I mean for a meet for example the meet in August has a dumbbell press as lift so nearer the meet I will change close grip bench press to dumbbell press as this is my only press accessory, I can't really work out a simpler way of doing this with out adding more volume, any ideas would be appreciated

Yeah I am pretty anti 5/3/1 but for personal reasons.

Its hard to say what is "best" as its so personal based. I have a good friend who is a top 20 all time powerlifter and canadas strongest woman. She completely changes focus on her lifts.

I have a client who is a solid strongman lifter and doing his first powerlifting meet in which I program his implement days around the powerlifting.

What I am trying to say is that you maybe on track, just not how I would prefer to do it. At the end of the day lifting should still be enjoyable.
Pro Total@275

PowerRackStrength.com