Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   rack pulls? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1857)

kman025 01-29-2010 05:08 PM

rack pulls?
 
did them for the 1st time yesterday.

loved them, nice ego lift for me. nice lifting 100+ lbs more than my deadlift

how effective are they for the unequipped lifter?

how should i cycle them into my training?

where should i put the pins, when starting? (had them above my knee)

any other usefull info on them?

BendtheBar 01-29-2010 05:55 PM

I was always told not to go too far over your max deads with them. Why? Not sure. Maybe someone has an opinion on this.

How was your grip?

ehubbard 01-29-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 23124)
did them for the 1st time yesterday.

loved them, nice ego lift for me. nice lifting 100+ lbs more than my deadlift

how effective are they for the unequipped lifter?

Not as effective as in the suit but can be useful for sticking points, learning to get your hips through, and overload training.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 23124)

how should i cycle them into my training?

Depends on where your sticking point is and what other weaknesses need to be worked on. But in general you couldnt go wrong with cycling them in three week waves, with pulls from the floor, and band pulls or deficits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 23124)
where should i put the pins, when starting? (had them above my knee)

Just below your sticking point. If you dont know where that is I would do them about 3 inches below the bottom of you knee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 23124)
any other usefull info on them?

Don't use a deadlift bar to do rack pulls unless you own it. It will warp the bar.

DocColossus 01-29-2010 06:21 PM

:ditto:

Also, you can factor in the standard 17" or 19" height for the rack pulls, seem to be good levels for rack work.

Be sure to dig those heels down too man, no lifting with the toes or flat footed... get those heels down!:rockon:

Grip-N-Rip 01-29-2010 08:33 PM

Rack pulls is a great exercise. I would rotate my mex effort movement with rack pulls and suspended good mornings every week. I also lifted raw and this worked very well for me.

For instance for RP if my max was 400 off the floor:
week 1: 135x8, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 365x3
week 3: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 395x2
week 5: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 395x2, 405 x 2, 450 x 2
week 6: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 395x2, 425 x 1, 450x 1, 475 x1

This is just kind of a set up I use to use. But then again, I was being trained by a professional PL, Jim Hoskinson.

kman025 01-29-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 23133)
I was always told not to go too far over your max deads with them. Why? Not sure. Maybe someone has an opinion on this.

How was your grip?

i went pretty far over my max dead... maybe this was stupid...????

i set the pins high, at the top of my knee cap, just to see how much weight i could hold/lockout

i got to 495 and thenmy grip/body was done. i dont get how i was having grip issues, and now from not doing shit, its no longer a problem....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehubbard (Post 23135)
Not as effective as in the suit but can be useful for sticking points, learning to get your hips through, and overload training.

Depends on where your sticking point is and what other weaknesses need to be worked on. But in general you couldnt go wrong with cycling them in three week waves, with pulls from the floor, and band pulls or deficits.

Just below your sticking point. If you dont know where that is I would do them about 3 inches below the bottom of you knee.

Don't use a deadlift bar to do rack pulls unless you own it. It will warp the bar.

currently i dont really have one specific sticking point. it almost seems to change every week. ive pretty much been able to add 10 lbs weekly, or every two weeks


Quote:

Originally Posted by DocColossus (Post 23143)
:ditto:

Also, you can factor in the standard 17" or 19" height for the rack pulls, seem to be good levels for rack work.

Be sure to dig those heels down too man, no lifting with the toes or flat footed... get those heels down!:rockon:

thanks man
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grip-N-Rip (Post 23210)
Rack pulls is a great exercise. I would rotate my mex effort movement with rack pulls and suspended good mornings every week. I also lifted raw and this worked very well for me.

For instance for RP if my max was 400 off the floor:
week 1: 135x8, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 315x3, 365x3
week 3: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 395x2
week 5: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 395x2, 405 x 2, 450 x 2
week 6: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 395x2, 425 x 1, 450x 1, 475 x1

This is just kind of a set up I use to use. But then again, I was being trained by a professional PL, Jim Hoskinson.

i may try this once i hit a 405 DL and lower the pins.



***___________***

i guess for now i'll do deads one week and rack pulls the next.


right now im starting from very high, slightlyy above knee. i will keep this up for a few weeks and then lower it to slightly below.

big valsalva 01-30-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 23272)
i guess for now i'll do deads one week and rack pulls the next.

Good idea. That's how I've used them in the past. Unfortunately though my gym has replaced the power cage with a more modern squat rack. It is impossible to adjust the safety bars much below mid thigh level. I think it is ok to vary the height from session to session, but just for the record, I preferred about 1" below the knees.

RickB 01-30-2010 01:48 AM

I think they are good, but I also think you don't want to go way over your DL # due to possibly snatching with your back off of the rack. You are less likely to put this same type of strain (the snatch) in the middle of a full dead lift. If you snatch on a deadlift, your legs will absorb some and your back won't feel the full brunt of it.

Get yo' minds out of the gutter....not that kind of snatch. ;)

Bodybygamma 01-30-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kman025 (Post 23124)
did them for the 1st time yesterday.

loved them, nice ego lift for me. nice lifting 100+ lbs more than my deadlift

how effective are they for the unequipped lifter?

how should i cycle them into my training?

where should i put the pins, when starting? (had them above my knee)

any other usefull info on them?

Once a month or once every other month since they are very stressful on the C.N.S. For practical use they should be worked out usually to a heavy single.Get some measuring tape and set the pins to about 18inches for fair game.

If you want to do rack pulls more frequently than just once a month, I suggest altering the heights each time to lower around 12-15in' and if less frequent from 18' as high as 20-22 inches for variety.

ehubbard 01-30-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 23283)
Once a month or once every other month since they are very stressful on the C.N.S. For practical use they should be worked out usually to a heavy single.Get some measuring tape and set the pins to about 18inches for fair game.

If you want to do rack pulls more frequently than just once a month, I suggest altering the heights each time to lower around 12-15in' and if less frequent from 18' as high as 20-22 inches for variety.

More importantly, why the hell are you awake at 2AM when you have a meet in the morning???????


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.