Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default OPS update

First off, I'd like to apologize for not being around lately. MAB had been a real home for me over the last few years and I don't like being pulled away like I have. That being said, I thought I'd come give you guys an update on how my attempt to start a gym is going, seeing as many of you were sounding boards for me for ideas I was having throughout the process.

I ended up setting up my entire gym inside the 2 car garage of my new house. I wanted to get a real location, but I couldn't find just the right place, and after dropping almost $4500 just in equipment I simply can't afford to take on an additional monthly cost. So far, people have been very receptive and I think some people actually get into training in a garage as opposed to a commercial gym.

Once the gym was set up, I started to advertise and market to get athletes in. I got some interest, but it was very limited. After becoming frustrated with the whole process of trying to get athletes into the gym, I decided to shift my focus to adults who are trying to become healthier and lose weight. Since then things are really starting to take off!

So far I have one athlete, a young man who is playing college football next year. 2 weeks ago he struggled to squat triples with 185, last week he squeezed out a couple doubles with 225, then today he knocked off a couple solid triples with 275. He was pretty damn excited! I've also started training a couple guys who are interested in powerlifting, but also want to cut lots of fat and feel better. Next week I'm going to start working with a mother of 3 who's looking to get her body back, and I've also got a couple more people who are excited to start as soon as they get a chance, including an 18 year old female equestrian who wants to build her core and lower body strength.

If things keep growing like this, I'll be able to pay off all my equipment in the next 5-6 months and possibly move into a legit location. I'm also seriously considering putting off school, since if I can get another 5-7 clients I'll be working full time and getting paid pretty well.

I actually have trouble sleeping at night, partly because I'm constantly thinking about how to help my clients, and partly because I'm so EXCITED. Thanks again to everyone here in my MAB family for your help, and if anyone is ever traveling through Ocala in central Florida and wants to get a session in, hit me up and I'll be happy to open my home to any of you.

www.facebook.com/ocalaperformanceandstrength
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
j
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not long enough!
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: Chocolate milk
j is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributorj is a dedicated contributor

Woo hoo! Way to go!
j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member

I'm really really happy for you, Soldier! I envy your clients, because I don't see how they won't make progress with a coach who gets insomnia over their training!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #4
Dray
full body 6 times a week
Max Brawn

Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: clean & press
Fav Supp: WPC
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

Sounds awesome, mate. Count me among those who wish they could train at such a gym.

That progress with the young footballer is excellent. Well done to both of you!
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:10 AM   #5
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Very very happy for you brother ... keep progressing on all fronts buddy ...
Old 04-08-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
big_swede
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Awesome news man!!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Heck, I wish I lived in Ocala Florida!

Your clients are in for some great training and success as long as they listen to you.

I wish you all the best buddy!
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs/500X5
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #8
CountryFriedMuscle
Max Brawn

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

congrats! Glad to hear you are happy and that things are working out.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
MindofShadow
Brawn

MindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good posts

Thanks cool man

Blog about bad ass movies, comics, weightlifting, aquariums, and more!
MindofShadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Congrats brother, keep it up
I spend all night scared of tomorrow, only reason I aint killin, suns up, when it gets dark im back to the park, cut through the back im after the heart, creepin through your hallway with a knife, had it all planned, therapist callin me all day, I know you love it when I eat meat, I love it when the brains hit the concrete!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote