Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #1
melvin2345
Brawn

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Bacon
melvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributormelvin2345 is a consistent contributor
Default Fixing weaknesses

Now that I'm fresh off a meet, I can identify and fix weaknesses. My deadlift looked good. Great actually. But my squat and bench need some work.

Here is my squat:

What I see: I pop out of the hole quick enough, but right above parallel I nearly stall.

My thoughts: I figure I would start doing paused squats and pin/dead squats to try and help with that.

Here is my bench:

What I see: Not very quick off the chest, and almost stalled halfway up.

My thoughts: Not sure what to do about speed off the chest. I'm going to start doing close grip bench with a sling shot so I can overload the triceps, and try to hammer the triceps overall really.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Next Meet:
August 1, 2015
Goals: 1460 (520 squat, 320 bench, 620 deadlift)
melvin2345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
MindofShadow
Brawn

MindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good postsMindofShadow has made some very good posts

3 count pause bench press works wonders for my off the chest speed.

Just hold the weight on your chest for a count of three and try to explode. Seems to work best for me in the 3-5 rep range with multiple sets.
MindofShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
WilldBill88
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2.5 Years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Lifting Weights
Fav Supp: Food
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

As far as your squat I couldnt tell ya for sure.. Though, with starting strength off the bench.. I can give you a few Ideas that I noticed helped me.

-DB Presses (Flat,Incline,Military ect.)
-Incline Barbell Press
-Speed Work
-Floor Press

Last edited by WilldBill88; 03-23-2015 at 06:09 PM.
WilldBill88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

left side was lagging on bench....heavy dumbell presses would help tell if there's a significant strength difference. If it's ROM related paused bench is a good idea...if it's tricep strength, then CGBP is your friend.

Hamstrings are more involved the deeper you squat...evaluate your strength there and try what you like best out of SLDLs, RDLs, GMs, etc to make sure your posterior strength is up to par. If not, some front squats would probably do the trick in beefing up your core and quad strength.

Best PL total: 1020 - 350/265/405
Current total: 905 - 315/245/345

Last edited by jdmalm123; 03-24-2015 at 07:08 AM.
jdmalm123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 AM   #5
BravenFenix
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 04/2013
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
BravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beastBravenFenix is a lifting beast

From the gif your squat looks to be on the wider end of stance and you seem rather upright. I have noticed that a similar thing happens in my squat and that it's probably caused by technique rather than weakness... shifting from more quad dominance to hip dominance as you lock out. When I move my stance in closer that does not tend to happen. At least that's what it seems like it is, could be something else.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/bravenfitness

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BravenFitness

Training Log: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/show...918#post517918

Last edited by BravenFenix; 03-24-2015 at 05:18 PM.
BravenFenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Your hips hang back on your squat. You need to drive them forward. That's your power source.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #7
Belphegor
Brawn

Training Exp: <1 year
Belphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beastBelphegor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Your hips hang back on your squat. You need to drive them forward. That's your power source.
Could you please explain what that means? Are you talking about bringing center of gravity backward or opening the knees more?

28 years old
6'2
201lbs
PR's/Total: None yet

"Have a passion for what you do and you'll never work a day in your life." -Vince McMahon
Belphegor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
Hywelbane
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 8
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Condense
Hywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master memberHywelbane is a master member

Agree with Steve. You pop out of the hole and your hips move back which increases the lever arm making it harder than it should be. Once you pop out of the hole, push your hips forward with your glutes and try to get back under the bar.

For bench I would recommend this article by miked:
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forum/arti...e-i-wrote.html
And also, sometimes when one arm goes up faster than the other I have noticed that it could be caused by uneven feet set-up.

Hywelbane is online now   Reply With Quote