Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master memberyangwenbin is a master member
Default Calves work?

I noticed a lot of us do direct calves work (calves raises).
Putting aside aesthetic concerns, do you think direct calves work has a significant carryover to the squat and the deadlift, or is it just a detail for advanced lifters and time could be better spent?
Bench 102,5 kg (226 lbs)
BW 83 kg (182,8lbs)
yangwenbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangwenbin View Post
I noticed a lot of us do direct calves work (calves raises).
Putting aside aesthetic concerns, do you think direct calves work has a significant carryover to the squat and the deadlift, or is it just a detail for advanced lifters and time could be better spent?
I am not sure how much direct effect calves have on the squat and dead but it seems logical to me that they could be a weak link if undertrained.

If the support structure is weak the machine loses a percentage of its total lift capability.

I have horrible calves even with direct work - I shudder to imagine them without any.

Calf work sucks - do moar !!

Last edited by SCStrong; 03-17-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: typo
SCStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The only time I notice calves is during high rep sets of squats.

I will say that building a strong base is rarely a bad choice. A few sets a week to make the calves as strong as possible can't hurt.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

My calves have grown from squatting and deadlifting, so I figure making them stronger can only help. My favorite thing for them is dragging a weighted sled.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machineCoopDawg is a lifting machine

My calves are small while my quads are large. Family genetics there, but heavy squat and direct calf work they actually have grown 0.75" in around 5 months
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
CountryFriedMuscle
Max Brawn

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

Lots of the best old school powerlifters did direct calf work. Good enough for me. Besides, it isn't very time consuming or hard to add in, might as well cover your bases.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
powerliftingforlife
Uber Brawn

Fav Supp: Rap music and Deathmetal
powerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beastpowerliftingforlife is a lifting beast

From my limited experience I don't see how in the world it could and poundage to your lifts. I think there might be something to injury prevention though. A good conditioned muscle is less likely to get hurt or cause other areas grief from being weak and compensating.
powerliftingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
dlocas
Brawn

Training Exp: Started in Jan. 2013
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Mac and cheese
dlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributordlocas is a consistent contributor

The only lifts that ever made my calves larger are the deadlift, the squat and the farmer walk. No direct work seemed to make any difference. Since I do lots of deadlifting and squat-type lifts plus heavy farmer walks on the week ends, I feel my calves have the work they need. I once did (too) frequent heavy deadlifts and got VERY sore in the calves, so yes, maybe later on when progress stalls I might benefit from a little direct work.
dlocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
Biggraygrizzly
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 32
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Beef Aminos
Biggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machineBiggraygrizzly is a lifting machine

Well think of it this way when you build a house, do you build the roof first? Or do you build the foundation? Of course you build or set the foundation same with the body, now you may or may not have the genetics to build the diamonds but I can tell from my experience that you need every part of structure to be strong whether you are squatting 500lbs. for PR or squatting 315 for high reps and they do also make your ankle stronger.
I hit them now once a week with moderate weights and high reps and go burning since are used to support me I tried heavy weights and low reps and the did not respond as when I went to the moderate weights so I say train them you have nothing to lose.
Biggraygrizzly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
CountryFriedMuscle
Max Brawn

Training Type: Powerlifting
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggraygrizzly View Post
I hit them now once a week with moderate weights and high reps and go burning since are used to support me I tried heavy weights and low reps and the did not respond as when I went to the moderate weights so I say train them you have nothing to lose.
I think this is an important point too; I always noticed the best gains when I kept the weight moderate, the reps high, and REALLY focused on holding the stretched and contracted positions for several seconds.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote