Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #1
Manlet
Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Overhead Press
Fav Supp: Meat Feast Pizza
Manlet is off to a bad start
Default Adapting Starting Strength

Hello everyone! I came across this video from Jason Blaha where he talks about Starting Strength for an athlete. He recommends adapting Starting Strength to have more workload, more specifically adding overhead pressing to every day. This is appealing to me because I thought the whole point of training full body 3x per week was to train lifts frequently, and with Starting Strength some weeks you are only overhead pressing/bench pressing once a week... If I followed Jason's advice, what would be a good way of programming bench work? Would pressing twice on every day and only pulling once on every day cause an imbalance? If so, having to add a second pull to every day would make the program very hard to recover from, especially for a 5'6'' 125lb guy like me.
Manlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM   #2
Got2Squat
Brawn

Training Exp: 8 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Milk
Got2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributorGot2Squat is a consistent contributor

I agree with what you said at the end. If you run the program as it is designed, no way you will be able to recover and add weight every workout if you double up on pressing and benching in the same workout. They alternate for a reason. A saying that has always stood out to me is that you don't get stronger from lifting weights. You get stronger recovering from lifting weights.
Got2Squat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #3
Dray
focus: quads & upper back
Max Brawn

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

First of all, are you - or are you planning on becoming - an athlete? If not, it could be that such discussions don't really apply to you. Just a thought.

Secondly, he is strongly liking of the overhead press "for athletes"? Well, not everyone would agree. That is to say, some people with vastly more experience with actually training athletes might offer up, for example, the incline bench press as the overall best press for most athletes. And so on.

Thirdly, speaking of experience, what exactly are his qualifications when it comes to training real athletes (like, in the real world 'n all)? I do hope this is not just another case of an internet guru sounding off, as they are wont to do.

Last but not least, you might want to head over to the workouts subforum at the very site you are on. There's a lot of options there, including a version of Starting Strength, if you insist.

Squat 160kg (352.7lbs), Bench 112.5kg (248lbs), Deadlift 220kg (485lbs)
Strict Press 75kg (165.3lbs), Chinups +25kg (+55.1lbs)

My training log
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #4
Manlet
Brawn

Good points. I've never really thought about like that. And yes my goal is to be an athlete. I played rugby for most of my life and I'm going to start playing again when I get into the military.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #5
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

Okay, well, now I have the benefit of having woken up properly this Sunday, and feeling less hungover too. Heh. Sorry if I came across a bit, um, grouchy before.

Full disclosure: I also am not a fan of Starting Strength. I started off with that routine, and it didn't do me much good, in a number of ways.

But as I'm no athlete, or trainer, I'll leave the giving of advice to those who DO qualify.

My training log
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #6
Manlet
Brawn

Thanks man. What didn't you like about it?
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #7
Dray
Max Brawn

Hm. This is mostly subjective (therefore, not necessarily applicable to you, say), but alright...

* Rippetoe's squat form directions are less than ideal, I found.

* Too much lower body work, relative to upper body.

* Not enough volume overall.

* Not enough benching (of whatever kind) per week to keep the bench moving beyond a point.

* Shoulder muscle imbalance a very likely thing. Though, to be fair, this is true of many routines out there.

* No isolation exercises whatsoever. It could be argued that novices don't need them. Some would disagree with that, however. And in the case of SS, I believe there are some areas that would need it, thanks to the very low volume and minimalist approach.

My training log
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #8
yangwenbin
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beastyangwenbin is a lifting beast

I did something very similar when I started without knowing the program and made really good squat and deadlift gains, I did only some light DB overhead pressing. Then I learnt about this program but didn't follow it. I find that kind of program isn't ideal for the bench press, because there is no direct accessory lift to help it. I think training that way is the reason my bench is so weak today; but it's maybe only me.... Also, there is almost no direct back work (some pull-ups at the end of the program), no rows...Building a strong back sounds a good idea for all the 3 lifts.
Bench 102,5 kg (226 lbs)
BW 83 kg (182,8lbs)
yangwenbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #9
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlet View Post
Good points. I've never really thought about like that. And yes my goal is to be an athlete. I played rugby for most of my life and I'm going to start playing again when I get into the military.
Well, you're 125lbs. Some 225lb Samoan (say, a 14 year old) is going to squash you out there.

I would suggest doing vanilla SS for 12 weeks, then take a week off and see where you are. Where you are I would hope is a minimum of work sets squat 225, bench 175, deadlift 275, or something like that, and a bodyweight of 165, with your waist being bigger than your chest as a good measure of having put on more muscle than fat in that time.

Everyone wants a special programme just for them. Later you may need that, in the beginning you don't.

Give it 12 weeks. One of the problems with SS is that it's open-ended. Nobody wants to start a race when they don't know how far they'll have to go. So give it 12 weeks. You've got a long life ahead of you, so long as the programme doesn't permanently injure you, you can try lots of things in that time.
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM   #10
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
* Too much lower body work, relative to upper body.
Rugby.

Quote:
* Not enough benching (of whatever kind) per week to keep the bench moving beyond a point.
Yes, because everyone forgets to microload. Still, even with 5lb jumps, most will get from "doesn't bench at all" to benching their (new, and higher) bodyweight in less than 12 weeks. Starting strength. It's a start.