Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
FlankNW
Brawn

Training Exp: 3 years.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts
Default Arranging a strongman competition

Hi Guys,

I've been thinking for a while about trying to run a strongman competition through work - the idea is still very much in it's infancy in my mind (location, events size etc are still very much up in the air) but I wanted to run a couple of my ideas by you guys to see what you think.

I work for a MASSIVE international company, we have 10,000 employees in London alone, so I think there's a market for having some form of an amateur strongman competition. I think it could be quite a cool thing to do, and sports events usually get pretty good buy-in from our bosses etc. In terms of the people at work, we have 2 rugby teams, and as far as I know a huge amount of the guys are at least what you'd call 'weekend warrior' type of lifters.

I was thinking of having it originally be for men only, and do under 90,105, and open weight categories, with the potential of adding an 80kg category and a women's comp if I got enough interest.

There's a strongman gym reasonably near where I work which has competitions occasionally, so I would imagine that if I was to go and train there a few times, they would probably allow us to host the event there supervised, and obviously for a fee. The reason I know this is because I've seen competitions arranged by a range of people who don't train there taking place.

My current plan would be to get an email out to find out interest, make it known that it's not going to be a 'hardcore' competition and get people to give rough estimates of what they can squat/bench/dead/press so that I can use that as a guide when coming up with the events.

I already have some ideas for events, bearing in mind I'm trying to make it quite accessible for people who are relatively strong, and lift, but may have never tried anything of this sort before:

Deadlift/some variation thereof
Squat/some variation thereof
Overhead medley (log, axle, db's)
Total weight Pullup challenge
Loading medley
Sled drag/pull (probler)

potentially also:
Stones over yoke (perhaps a little too technical?)

So, if there's anything you guys can think of which would be a good event to include/something I've got which you think really wouldn't work/ any other points of wisdom that you've got from trying to arrange anything like this before, it would be really useful. There's tonnes of resources online for what to do when competing, but very little about organising!
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #2
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Things that I think wouldn't be fun.

1. Pullups. (I'm a SHW. Those will never happen)
2. More than 5 events in a day
3. Explosive diarrhea

I don't know why I have a 3rd point there, but man, that stuff sucks.

Now on to the rest.

I really like the idea of having an accessible SM event. I think a lot of people would enjoy it. A few notes on how to arrange things.

1. Always have the overhead event first, or possibly second, but never further down than that. Tired OHP leads to too many injuries.

2. Deadlifts last. After a real DL challenge, no one will have energy to do anything else.

3. Stones are fun, but tear up the arms and decent risk for a blown biceps.

Finally, insure yourself. Strongman contests have some horrific injuries. Crushed feet from kegs, torn biceps from cleans, stones, bad deadlift form, torn hamstrings. Since you have rugby teams, check with them on the releases they have their players sign and you should be alright (I'm guessing)

Start earlyish. 10 am for the rules meeting. SM contests can take 4-10 hours (though usually 4 - 5 is what I see) You probably don't want more than 40 competitors until you have a LOT of judges and equipment.

I'll drop in with other things as I think of them.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #3
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Are you a member of sugdenbarbell.co.uk? It's the home of the UK strongman scene. Loads of strongmen of all levels there and probably contest organisers too. They will know the ins and outs of the UK strongman scene -so it might be an idea to post this on there as well. Just a thought.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote