Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Deadlift specialization program

As you guys no I competed in a strongman comp a little less than 2 weeks ago. I think I am going to do a deadlift specialization program for the next 2 months.

Deadlift is so important in strongman and mine has been a weakness for a while. I have lost all confidence in my deadlift and am scared of my back. I would like to start light and build up to decent weight.

I would love to add in some block pulls, pause Deads, snatch grip. I would like to attack all my deadlift weakness.

Does anyone know of any good deadlift programs?

I have also been thinking of deadlifting twice a week, does this seem possible?

Just trying to get some initial thoughts before programming it out
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

From what I've seen most people have really good results when they build their deadlift piece by piece. Increasing your deadlift frequency probably won't give you what you're looking for. Instead I'd suggest adding a ton of volume work for all the muscles involved in deadlifting like the upper back and posterior chain. Lots of sets of moderate to high reps for a couple months should make a noticeable difference, especially since you need versatile strength for strongman anyways. I don't think you need to actually deadlift more than once a week, and you might even get more out of it by pulling heavy only every other week and doing some type of speed pull when you aren't going heavy.

I just typed all that then immediately realized I pretty much exactly described the Westside system. Anyways, that's what I'd do if I was in your shoes.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
OneMorePlate
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Red Meat
OneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master memberOneMorePlate is a master member

Twice a week deadlifting? either you'll have to stay 65-75% range or be assisted. lol
What numbers are you talking 400-500-600 DL?
Find your weak point on the lift and focus on that. If its the bottom Deficit pulls, Squats.
Mid range & lockout pulling off boxes or pin pulls, Power Shrugs,BOR's, use of bands or chains .
Pull off blocks, focus on your squat for the bottom of your DL very little pulls off the floor.
If you think you have to pull full range all the time use chains or bands, the bar weight should be 50-55% 1 rm + chains or bands. Focus on great form while being explosive think bar speed always.
OneMorePlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
big_swede
Max Brawn

Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Take a look at the ortmayer/magnusson deadlift routine. Its very good for strongmen if you can handle the volume.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Thanks guys lots of good stuff here to think about.

Also, I think I misspoke when I said deadlift twice a week. I meant one deadlift day and then on another day I would have a dead assistance move such as good mornings, pause deads, box squats, etc.

Still thinking this over, I appreciate the input
Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Thanks guys lots of good stuff here to think about.

Also, I think I misspoke when I said deadlift twice a week. I meant one deadlift day and then on another day I would have a dead assistance move such as good mornings, pause deads, box squats, etc.

Still thinking this over, I appreciate the input
Oh ok, that makes lots of sense. Probably a good plan. Just make sure to vary the intensity. If you do all that stuff heavy it'll tear you up. Maybe do 1 movement somewhat heavy, 1 movement explosively with low reps, and some other stuff for higher reps with light weight.

I'm sure that's what you were planning though. Just wanted to make sure.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
miked96
Max Brawn

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Mag ort is a great plan but its obviouly once a week. I am glad you posted this because it jarred my memory. I have made two deadlift sessions a week work and it was the strongest my deadlift ever got. What I did was:

Day 1 light
speed pulls 4x3
dimels or rdls 2x10
upper back assistance

day 2 heavy
-deads (I just deadlifted and it was usually up to a top set based on how I felt. Usually it was a triple and then a single if I felt like it. You could also use this to pull a heavy variant (deficit, snatch grip)
-pause squat ( I used an SSB belt less)
-hamstring and calf assistance

Splitting it up like that really worked and was not too much to recover. Just make sure the light day doesnt turn into another heavy day.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Anything overhead
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Mag ort is a great plan but its obviouly once a week. I am glad you posted this because it jarred my memory. I have made two deadlift sessions a week work and it was the strongest my deadlift ever got. What I did was:

Day 1 light
speed pulls 4x3
dimels or rdls 2x10
upper back assistance

day 2 heavy
-deads (I just deadlifted and it was usually up to a top set based on how I felt. Usually it was a triple and then a single if I felt like it. You could also use this to pull a heavy variant (deficit, snatch grip)
-pause squat ( I used an SSB belt less)
-hamstring and calf assistance

Splitting it up like that really worked and was not too much to recover. Just make sure the light day doesnt turn into another heavy day.
Sounds good to me.

I'll just throw the Coan-Phillipi routine into the mix. Another once a week program (from memory), but lots of lifters swear by it.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #9
AF-Iron
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Coffee
AF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributor

Look into Jamie Lewis' deadlift programs in his book "Destroy the Opposition". He has 2 specifically for deadlifting. Its a good read too.
AF-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Thanks guys for all of the information!

Great input from everyone, I took AF-Irons advice and picked up Jamie Lewis' powerlifting book. This is an awesome resource that provides a ton of great powerlifters routines for bench, squats, and Deads.

He is also of the opinion that you should somewhat specialize in squats or Deads. So I am running his intermediate deadlift specialization program. It is exactly what I am looking for frequent Deads with varying intensity along with a ton of upper back work. It will also take me away from the upper lower split for a while. And there is a fair amount of feeling out vs set percentages.

I am very excited for this upcoming cycle