Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old Today, 12:03 AM   #1
yangwenbin
Brawn
Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3 Points: 189, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Complete Chaos!
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: milk
yangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good postsyangwenbin has made some very good posts
Default Should I use a lifting belt?

I understand that a belt helps to brace the core and allows you to push with your abs on it leading to more stability and more weight lifted. I red in many fora that it should only be used when attempting a new PR, in order to avoid reliance on it and weakening the abs. So even if you lift more belt on, eventually you'll have to back off to build your core stability. As a recreational lifter who doesn't compete, I wonder if a belt is worth the investment...Did the extra weight lifted with a belt help you to build strength faster?
Bench 225
BW 176
yangwenbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Today, 12:10 AM   #2
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

As far as I understand (but then, I'm not that strong yet...) it's fine to use a belt pretty much most of the time, or at least for working sets. You're still working the core when using a belt, so yeah, you might as well use it whenever you want to, really.

That's my take on it, fwiw. And hey, if I'd used it for the Pendlay rows today, I might not have tweaked my back! Okay, unlikely, but you never know...
Old Today, 12:31 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

When someone tries to tell you that a lifting belt weakens the core, ask them when they're finally going to hit that huge 315 squat they've been working on. Such BS.

I don't work abs at the end of my squat days. The reason is that they are always sore and tired already from how hard I've been flexing them inside the belt. I use a belt when a lift gets a little tough. Usually when I get around 60% for squats or deadlifts I'll bring in the belt so that I can get used to it before things get heavy. The only reason I don't use it for every set is just the inconvenience of getting the belt on for a light warm up set.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote