Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
CountryFriedMuscle
Max Brawn
Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor
Default Slingshot Recommendations

Hey guys, for those of you who own or have used a slingshot from Mark Bell, or a similar product like a Titan Ram, I could use some advice. I am trying to bench consistently again, but if I flat bench too often my shoulders tend to get upset with me. I am hoping to at least partially alleviate this by using the slingshot at least some of the time.

So, for those of you who have used one, for a raw lifter who is just now breaking into 300+ benches, would you recommend the reactive or original slingshot? It seems the reactive is very popular, but doesn't provide for much overload, only about 10 to 15%. Any thoughts or personal experience would be appreciated.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Nathan
Max Brawn
Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 10+ Years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Breast Milk
Nathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machine

I know of some raw guys with a bench in that range that use the reactive. Its what I use as well although I'm only in the 235-245 range.

Meet PRs
Squat- 331 (belt only)
Bench- 243
Deadlift- 430
Weight- 160

Current weight 150-152.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
KD5NFW
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!KD5NFW is one with Crom!

I use the Bench Daddy made by Womack. I was stuck around 300 for a max. Between using the BD for overload, adding heavy CGBP into my routine, and eating more, I got my TnG max up to 350 in about a year or so.

http://www.benchdaddy.com/BenchDaddy.php
Dead 227.5 (501.55) 11/16/2014
Total 572.5 (1,262.13) 11/16/2014
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Nathan
Max Brawn
Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27 Points: 2,117, Level: 27
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 10+ Years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Breast Milk
Nathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machineNathan is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
I use the Bench Daddy made by Womack. I was stuck around 300 for a max. Between using the BD for overload, adding heavy CGBP into my routine, and eating more, I got my TnG max up to 350 in about a year or so.

http://www.benchdaddy.com/BenchDaddy.php
Beast mode!

Meet PRs
Squat- 331 (belt only)
Bench- 243
Deadlift- 430
Weight- 160

Current weight 150-152.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

If avoiding shoulder pain is your goal, go with the reactive. If you have any plans of doing overload work with it, go with the original slingshot. I prefer my bench daddy, but it's a bit more stout than the original slingshot since it's 2 pieces of elastic all the way across instead of one piece across the middle like the slingshot.

The bench daddy is easier to get on. The slingshot is a bit of a pain as it is very tight on the arms. The slingshot design is harder to get on but also less likely to put any pressure on your neck. Sometimes the bench daddy comes down on my neck a little when I come straight down to my chest.

If you really want to get crazy with the overload then use one of these devices with bands and/or chains. I've worked up to 405 with 50lb of chains for 5 reps in a floor press with the bench daddy, and I've done a 455 bench with reverse bands and the 2-ply bench daddy. Considering the most I've ever benched is 355 you can see that a ton of overload is possible.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
CountryFriedMuscle
Max Brawn

CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
If avoiding shoulder pain is your goal, go with the reactive. If you have any plans of doing overload work with it, go with the original slingshot. I prefer my bench daddy, but it's a bit more stout than the original slingshot since it's 2 pieces of elastic all the way across instead of one piece across the middle like the slingshot.

The bench daddy is easier to get on. The slingshot is a bit of a pain as it is very tight on the arms. The slingshot design is harder to get on but also less likely to put any pressure on your neck. Sometimes the bench daddy comes down on my neck a little when I come straight down to my chest.

If you really want to get crazy with the overload then use one of these devices with bands and/or chains. I've worked up to 405 with 50lb of chains for 5 reps in a floor press with the bench daddy, and I've done a 455 bench with reverse bands and the 2-ply bench daddy. Considering the most I've ever benched is 355 you can see that a ton of overload is possible.
The main goal is to reduce shoulder pain so that I can consistently do a bench variation twice a week. However, I would like at least some overload potential. I have done a bit of reverse band work in the past and found it was helpful so I believe a similar effect from a device such as this would be beneficial.

I will look into the bench daddy as well, never considered those before.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
AF-Iron
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Supp: Coffee
AF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributor

I liked the original. Took some time to break in though. Mine doesnt fit anymore so I sold it. Im going to shell out the extra cash or the full boar model. Should be easier to get on with the tapered arms.
AF-Iron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF-Iron View Post
I liked the original. Took some time to break in though. Mine doesnt fit anymore so I sold it. Im going to shell out the extra cash or the full boar model. Should be easier to get on with the tapered arms.
Make sure to at least look into the bench daddy. I have the 2 ply version which is essentially 2 bench daddies sewn together, which means I can use it as single ply if I want to. It's extremely easy to get on and in 2 ply mode it's basically the same thing as wearing a single ply shirt. I can get upwards of 100lb of carryover from the thing.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
CountryFriedMuscle
Max Brawn

After looking into it, it looks like the Bench Daddy is the easiest to get on and off, especially by yourself. Also seems like it is a little bit more versatile as far as body position is concerned.

I have heard and seen in videos that the slingshot and Ram both tend to lock your elbows in tighter, where as a few videos I have seen of the bench Daddy seem to show it is a little more flexible in that regard. I tend to bench with with elbows at about 45 degrees, so definitely not an extreme tuck. Seems like the Bench Daddy might be the best choice.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Titan Ram here, purely for accessory moves only.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote