Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Strongman competition results

Are You Stronger than Santa?

Event 1: 245# Axle Clean and Press-60 seconds-6 reps
6 Reps was good for second place in this event, but 2 people tied for 1st place. So this was more of a third place finish. I was happy with this event; this is 2 more reps than I got on the same event in March. First PR of the day. Plenty more work to do her though.

Event 2: 700# Yoke Walk-40 feet-11.09 seconds
Once again a third place finish. I did it again, I dropped the yoke right before the finish line. I was only 6 inches away from the finish line, but I got out of control. I did this same thing at my competition in March and swore it would never happen again. This is not a tough weight for me and there was no reason for a drop. Anyway, I did shave about 2 seconds off my time from March, but I was really shooting for sub ten seconds. Top 2 guys were flying 6.47 and 7.72 seconds. I would have been close to these numbers.

Event 3: Progressive Frame Deadlift- 4 reps in 32.3 seconds
This was my worst event of the day, I finished 6th in this event. I was just not prepared for this one. This dropped me down in the rankings. I was worried about this one going into the competition and I did not do enough to try to simulate the event. Weights were 640,690,740,790,840, I think. It may have been lighter but this is what was listed and it was about an 18 inch pick height.

Event 4: Sandbag/Keg Medley-17.3 seconds
This was good for fourth in this event; I thought I would do a lot better in this event. I am typically very fast in moving events, but again I do not think I prepared enough. The sandbag and the keg were both 250 pounds and it was 40 feet down and back. Winner was 15.3 seconds and I should have been capable to match this. Slow on transitions and picking the sand bag. 4th place going into the last event.

Event 5: Stone series to 44 inch platform-3 stone in 15.8 seconds
This left me with a 5th place finish in this event. Stone weights were 250,280,310,330,360. I flew through the first three stones but then I could not get a grip on the 330. I have done this stone before and did it for reps in my last competition. Severely disappointing. Only one person in my weight class got the 360 pound stone, and I really thought I had a shot. Stone training had been going great for me.

Overall: 4th place
I was able to hold onto 4th place, but the stones really left a sour taste in my mouth. Everything else went pretty well, but I was looking for a strong performance in the stones. Getting the 4th stone would not have changed my placing but it would have made me feel a lot better. Plus I wanted a chance to try the 360. I learned a lot from this competition. This was the fastest competition I have been to, around 3 hours. This is only my third competitions, so I guess I am really still a beginner compared to a lot of competitors. The top guys really dominated, they finished first and second in most of the events. Here are some key takeaways:

Train the events as listed- I need specific practice for the events with the exact implement and on a timer or however the event is set up.
- more strongman conditioning- really gas out for a minute
-clean and press each rep
-more low back and explosive work
-heavy deadlifts! Focus needs to go away from squats and focus more on deads
Deadlift strength- I need to focus on pulling heavy weights from different heights. Low back strength is so important for strongman. I am now confident my back is healthy so it is time to train heavy.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
jdmalm123
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74 Points: 13,158, Level: 74
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: the one that doesn't hurt
Fav Supp: Milk
jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!jdmalm123 is one with Crom!

good showing.

considering your number of times competing in SM and the couple of seconds between you and first place on most events, I'd say your plan should get you a medal or trophy next time...especially training the specific events...familiarity is key.

All things being equal, running any event a second time should yield immediate improvement...just like finding the groove on a PL move there's neuro-efficiency in having experience with an implement, etc.

Good luck with training!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Good work man. Glad to see you competing again! Come back next time even stronger
Old 12-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
Kystrong82
New Brawn
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Kystrong82 is off to a bad start

Awesome man!
Kystrong82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great job. Now you know what it takes to be first and it appears you have a clear plan to get there. Now just do it!

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
ravimolasaria
Max Brawn
Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98 Points: 27,548, Level: 98
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Training Exp: 10
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Whatever makes me strong
ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!ravimolasaria is one with Crom!

Great job JW ...
Old 12-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
FlankNW
Brawn
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

Dude, you are bloody strong!

Really impressive work on some stuff there in my opinion (yoke and overheads) but I know you're a little disappointed in it, so hopefully you can just use that as motivation to train harder! Good luck with training and I look forward to hearing about the next one, great writeup too btw
Bench 170 (140)

At BW<100kg.

My Training Log
FlankNW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Great work, get any video? I love watching strongman stuff, would love to do one for fun some day.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Strong work !!! Good show!!
Old 12-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
AF-Iron
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25 Points: 1,828, Level: 25
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Coffee
AF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributorAF-Iron is a dedicated contributor

Good job!
AF-Iron is offline   Reply With Quote