Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Tendo?

I've decided I want a tendo for my gym. Bad. I really feel like it would be extremely useful in making sure my athletes are doing exactly what I want them to do, and it certainly wouldn't hurt the credibility of the gym either. The only problem is the cost. A new Tendo is $1600, which isn't too much for a large gym, but I'm currently only planning to spend about twice that much on the equipment for the entire gym.

But I think that having a tendo would add value, to the point where I could actually make the cost up by increasing my fees just a little, say $10/mo.

What do you guys think? My current fees are already set up to be lower than any comparable gyms simply because I'm starting from scratch, so I do have some wiggle room.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Correction; The unit I would be getting is actually $1330. The $1600 unit is the special weightlifting version.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn

Seriously, if you walked into a gym that had something like a Tendo, would that make you more interested in joining, and would it make you willing to spend just a little more on the fees?
Old 12-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

What's a tendo?

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Soldier
Max Brawn

Yeah, I guess that would help. I just assumed people involved with lifting would know. My bad.

A tendo is used to measure bar speed. Westside has been using them for years. It measures lots of different parameters like peak velocity, average velocity, peak power, average power, and about 80 other parameters I'd probably never use.

It's most popular use is for adjusting the weight on the bar to get an athlete at a speed within a certain window. So if you're doing squats and trying to develop speed-strength, you'd get the athlete using a weight that would allow them to move around .9-1.2 meters/second. If that athlete suddenly dropped below the threshold before the prescribed number of sets is completed, you'd either lighten the weight or stop for the day.

It helps regulate the training by letting you know you should lower the weight and take it easy on a day when the weights aren't moving as fast as they should, and also helps you identify if an athlete is struggling with a certain specific strength. If someone has trouble keeping speed up with 60% of the 1rm that would mean that they need to shift their focus towards speed-strength in order to maximize explosiveness, and if someone easily moves 80% really fast they need to work on maximal strength.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

I think Tannhauser's response will be the common one you will encounter. Most people are going to assume they are paying you to judge bar speed and performace and let them know what weights to use or when to stop for the day. If it were me, I would use that money for something else or hold on to it for the inevitable lean times you are going to encounter the first few years of any startup buisness. Out of curiosity, what is your experience coaching athletes?

Last edited by miked96; 12-14-2014 at 07:49 PM.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
CountryFriedMuscle
Max Brawn
Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

I would agree with Mike here. 9/10 people will not care or even know what it is. Especially if you are training athletes, you have to remember that this is their off season, not their sport. They don't care what equipment you have, so long as you improve their performance on their field of competition. Could the tendo help? Maybe. You have to ask yourself if the cost is worth the alternative equipment you will be giving up.

Personally, when I go into a gym, I don't look for a tendo. I look for good bars, good squat racks, a full dumbbell set, and then pieces like GHR's, reverse hypers, etc. Plenty of people have gotten strong and fast without a tendo unit.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

OK, thanks for the clarification.

It sounds an interesting device, but I'm not sure it would gain you many clients/customers. If you did a poll on a UK site like Sugdenbarbell (a big powerlifting/strongman site), my guess is that hardly anybody would have heard of a tendo, let alone used one. And I'm including the strongest and most accomplished strongmen on there, who are competitive on an international level.
I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, but from what Mike says it doesn't sound like it's well known there either.

Personally, I confess that I might be seduced a little bit by the presence of a gadget, even if I never used it. But there are many other things I would put ahead of it.

Have you thought of doing a broader poll about gyms on here? Perhaps asking members to rank the most important bits of kit or features of gyms or what they look for in a coach? Just a thought.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
OK, thanks for the clarification.

It sounds an interesting device, but I'm not sure it would gain you many clients/customers. If you did a poll on a UK site like Sugdenbarbell (a big powerlifting/strongman site), my guess is that hardly anybody would have heard of a tendo, let alone used one. And I'm including the strongest and most accomplished strongmen on there, who are competitive on an international level.
I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, but from what Mike says it doesn't sound like it's well known there either.

Personally, I confess that I might be seduced a little bit by the presence of a gadget, even if I never used it. But there are many other things I would put ahead of it.

Have you thought of doing a broader poll about gyms on here? Perhaps asking members to rank the most important bits of kit or features of gyms or what they look for in a coach? Just a thought.
Ok, thanks for the input guys. The truth is I haven't done much asking about other things because there simply aren't going to BE a lot of other things. I also haven't looked for much input on most of the things I plan to do because honestly, it wouldn't have changed anything I was doing. That may sound stupid, but I just don't want anyone's input. I have very strong ideas of what I want to do and how I want to do it, and I'm not interested in having those ideas watered down by having too many cooks around my pot.

This idea of splurging a bit on a Tendo unit is that first time that something came up that was a bit more expensive and also optional. All of the other equipment I'm planning to get will be bargain basement stuff, just as good as I need it to be with the features I want. Of course, I plan to replace and upgrade over the coming years as needed, but it's just not possible to measure bar velocity and power without spending quite a bit of money.

Also, much of my training will be based on the conjugate system, heavily influenced by Westside, and Westside has made a lot of use of the Tendo as a way of testing and verifying the methods they are experimenting with.

Miked69, I don't have much hands-on experience training, but I have lots of ideas and I've done lots of experimenting with different training methods. I also have a ton of experience in education and coaching athletics. I've spent thousands of hours in front of groups of young people and it's something that comes naturally to me now. My prices at the beginning will reflect my lack of experience, with the hope that as I establish myself and create more demand I will be able to increase my prices.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

Good luck to you and I was wondering if you have thought of taking a position at someone else's facility so you can get your feet wet and learn about the competition in your area? The reason I ask is that one of my best friends opened his own personal training gym after 10 years of personal training at someone else's gym and competing on a national and international level in Olympic Lifting. His first two years were extremely hard and if it wasn't for his wife's income and insurance from her job, he wouldn't have stayed afloat. It takes a long time to build a customer base and show a profit. He had years of experience and credibility as a trainer but all the other aspects of building and running a business were foreign to him. He is doing fine now because he was able to differentiate himself from the other private gyms with his Olympic lifting experience and he was able to bring clients with him that he trained at the other facility. I am just passing on something I observed and I am sure you will be successful if your willing to put in the work.
miked96 is online now   Reply With Quote