Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member
Default Gym marketing/name help needed

It's getting to be that time. It's only a matter of months now before I'll be out of the Army and on my way back to Florida, and as it turns out, figuring out what equipment to get for my gym was the easiest part. Now it's down to the details. I have a plan for insurance and I've looked into what I'll need to do to deal with the city (hopefully won't be any problems there, but that depends on the location I find), and I'm also going to set up an LLC through legal zoom.

But I'm having some trouble with branding. I'm finding myself very unsure when it comes to making decisions that involve positioning myself in the market. I haven't even nailed down the name of the gym. At first it was going to be OBC, or the Ocala Barbell Club, and I still like that name, but there are some problems. Namely, OBB is Orlando Barbell, which is actually pretty close to us geographically, so having a name that's similar is a problem for me. Also, when I hear "barbell club" I think Olympic lifting, and that is definitely not what we'll be doing.

Then I thought we could go with a more "hardcore" image, and I came up with the name "Freak Factory". I thought positioning myself as the hardcore gym would be good because there's a new "gym" in town that specializes in advanced athletic performance. They have a fancy shmancy location in a medical office type building and everyone who works there has tons of letters after their name.

But it's not all about being different from the competition. Positioning myself so that people want to be involved with what I'm doing is far more important that simply setting myself apart from my competition. If being "hardcore" pushed people away then it's not helping me. Also, my pricing should be much more conservative compared to those guys, so they might not really be competition at all. They have more credibility on paper, and they have a nice fancy facility complete with "conditioning stations", so they have about as much in common with my gym as a coffee shop or hardware store.

I just need to decide how I want to portray myself and my business, because that's what will inform things like my name, my logo, and what tools I will use in my marketing. The problem is that my methods don't really set me apart. I believe in simple, hard training based on solid planning. I'm more hardcore, than a big box gym, but not enough for that to be my "thing".

Thoughts?
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #2
Likethebaldwin
Brawn
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows/Bench Press
Fav Supp: Calories over maintenance
Likethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributorLikethebaldwin is a dedicated contributor

This is pretty cool stuff Soldier, I'm stoked to see this process unfold.

You're off to a great start, OBC and Freak Factory are sick names.

Personally, I would be intimidated stepping into a place called freak factory, but I don't make or break your gym, plenty of people would flock to a place like that. On the other hand, I imagine you will make it very welcoming and non judgmental, so that would probably quell my feelings of intimidation. And it would definitely make sure your clientele were serious athletes/trainees and not your typical "24 hour elliptical marathoners." But you have probably thought this through already.

My thoughts are to stick with your no nonsense, nuts and bolts type of approach, but find something in between the minimalist OBC and the more extreme freak factory.

Quote:
I believe in simple, hard training based on solid planning.
^^This is your ace in the hole, if you can find a way encapsulate this in a two or three word name, you're set. This type of approach is sorely needed in the fitness community.

Keep us posted on your thoughts!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

I agree with "Likethebaldwin", stick with your no-nonsense training principles. If you try to be a, typical "commercial" gym or extreme "hardcore" gym, when your not really either one, then you'll be unhappy with the business and your clients will see that your hearts not in it. Let the gym be a reflection of yourself and your method of training.

As for the name; anything "barbell club" sounds like an Olympic lifting gym and probably wont attract too many teenagers because you know what 16 year old boys want... big arms & a six pack... cause that's what gets you pussy. "Freak Factory" may be too intimidating but maybe not. What about something like... "Powerhouse Gym"...idk, I'm sure the gym will be awesome no matter what you call it. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
RobMoriRB
Max Brawn
Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67 Points: 10,240, Level: 67
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Mutant Mass
RobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master memberRobMoriRB is a master member

Well Powerhouse is a house hold name so there could be some problems there, why not some thing along the lines of South Florida Gym
Dead Lift: 501

GYM PR
Squat: 405
Bench: 285
Dead Lift: 475

Block Program:http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...ad.php?t=17576
BLOG:http://theanimalmethod.wordpress.com/
RobMoriRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
JoeLat
New Brawn
Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3 Points: 195, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: DB Incline
JoeLat is new to the forumJoeLat is new to the forum

I like basic, simple gym idea. Agree you don't need such a hardcore name like Freak Factory. If that's the direction your gym takes, it'll go there regardless of name.
None of these are probably the one, but maybe they can get more gears turning for a name:
Full Force Lifting
Squat.Bench.Row.
Push.Pull.Lift.
Solid
Solid Lifting
Steel Frame
Last Rep
One More Rep
Lift More
Puch Harder
Back to Basics
Just Lift

Last idea, what if you bought a gym and revamped it? No idea about how things are in that area, but a thought I'd throw out there.
JoeLat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Steel Frame is a solid name

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Cutty
Max Brawn
Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48 Points: 5,647, Level: 48
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3.5 years
Fav Supp: Amino Acids
Cutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master memberCutty is a master member

I lived in Ocala and Belleview for most of my life down there. Went to Belleview high and has a swimmingly great time.

Used to live in the apartments that's really close to the mall, I forget the name and then we had a house we rented in Ocala and then moved to Belleview.

I miss it down there.. used to race motocross at the Hardrock MX Park .

"Back to Basics" is a pretty good name, but branding is hard yeah.

TheByrn.com

Max Gym Lifts: 495/300/605
Last Meet Lifts: 435/303/512
Cutty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Thanks guys. When you've spent so much time thinking about something sometimes it's good to get out of your own head and see things from someone else's perspective. I think the theme of keeping things simple is the way to go, which means I should just to say what I'm doing and get on with doing it. So I'm thinking that "Ocala Strength and Performance" is the way to go. OSP doesn't flow off the tongue as well as OBC, but I'll use the OSP moniker sparingly and try to use the whole name most of the time.

It's simple, it says what I do, and it says where I do it. I don't even need any sort of tagline, and I know the name is available because it includes the name of the city.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
SCStrong
Max Brawn
Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40 Points: 4,116, Level: 40
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Beer; Milk is for Babies
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

The Gym...... after all, everyone says - I 'm going to the gym.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Sandbox
Max Brawn
Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machine

Soldier -

You're smart to be contemplating this stuff now. I think IMHO you should name your facility closer to the core of what you want to accomplish. From what I've read of your desires - training athletes is going to be your differentiator. I would name it: Ocala Athletes Training Center...or something along those line.

Additionally, a brand is much more than a name. A good brand will be centered in a set of values that differentiate you from everyone. Determine your values that are true to you. Etch them in stone. Make it what you are all about.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote