Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: Since 1973 (with breaks)
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Organic, natural foods
GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor
Default Upright Rows?

Are upright rows dangerous? Iím asking as Iím thinking of incorporating them into my routine. I havenít done them in ages, so they would be good for something different. But I remember reading somewhere a while back that they are dangerous for the shoulder, so I did some Googling and found the following and many similar pages. The last two exercises I do regularly without problems, so I donít know if what it says about upright rows is true or not:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru26.htm
GZeolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

There are a few different ways to do them and I think that has a huge effect. I like to grab a bar just outside shoulder width them simply pull my elbows to the sky while also shrugging my shoulders. When I can't pull the bar any higher and still lead with the elbows that's as high as I go.

But honestly, I don't use them much anymore. I used to really like using the hang clean and press and I got a good pump out of it, but since then as I've gotten stronger I've gotten less out of them and had more pain and discomfort.

Honestly, at this point, all I do for direct shoulder work is seated OHPs, bringing the bar down to touch between my chin and my mouth. It doesn't cause pain and lets me lift a shit ton of weight compared to an OHP where I bring the bar down to my chest.

If I was going to use some sort of vertical pull I would do an explosive high pull from blocks, but that's less of a shoulder movement and more of a whole body explosive movement.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
jiorio95
Max Brawn

Fav Exercise: Squat
jiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master memberjiorio95 is a master member

I've done upright rows with some success in the past. I noticed I had to change my grip to leave my thumb on top before the movement felt more natural. I liked them, and never had pain doing them, but at the moment all I'm doing is Arnolds and Seated OHP for direct shoulder work.
jiorio95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
SCStrong
Max Brawn

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Furry Critters
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

I have used them with pretty good success - I noticed if I widen my grip a bit and focus on a tight core and tight glutes - I get more out of them.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
Dray
100kg w/ abs! :p
Max Brawn

Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: bench press
Fav Supp: wpc
Dray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite memberDray is an elite member

I've been a fan of 1-arm DB upright rows ever since I first tried them.

Maybe give them a go, if BB upright rows don't feel right or whatever.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Speaking from a powerlifter point of view - I do not see how they will ever help bring up any of the big 3 lifts. I also never see any powerlifters doing them. I do not think the bang for the buck is there at all with upright rows.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs/500X5
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
GZeolla
Banned
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: Since 1973 (with breaks)
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Organic, natural foods
GZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributorGZeolla is a consistent contributor

Thanks for all of the responses. Youíve given me some food for thought. Iím not sure what Iíll do. Iíll have to think about it.
GZeolla is offline   Reply With Quote