Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
Aqeel
New Brawn

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat and power clean
Aqeel is new to the forumAqeel is new to the forum
Default Change of squat technique kills m'knees

Hello MAB.
I have been Back squatting for many years on my own with good or bad form,(not sure).on a weekly basis, no knee pain whatsoever happened.
but recently I met a Polish olympic weightlifter, who is of National calibre, I asked him if I could train with him and teach me the Olympic lifts.
From weekly squatting, and for varietys sake ,I was squatting with him, 5 days on the trot, he corrected my forward lean "in the hole",with many other flaws.
Problem is I am not having this pain.......not pain exactly ,but feels like a wedge is lodged in the hamstring joint region plus my quadriceps have swelled....all to the right leg.
Can anyone gives us an idea of what went wrong?
Aqeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

No idea.

If it hurts, don't do it. Do it that way that didn't hurt.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

You went from squatting one day a week to 5 days a week? Also does it just hurt (soreness/doms) or is it injuring something? It sounds to me that if you quintupled your squatting, that might hurt and certainly would "swell" your quads.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

"on the trot"? Sorry, I've never heard that phrase before. If you could let us know what you meant there that would be good.

Different people are built to squat different ways. Olympic lifters squat with a very upright spine which drastically increases the range of motion of the knees and puts lots of emphasis on the quads. Maybe you did too much too soon with your new form, or maybe your body just isn't built to squat that way. Either way, the first thing to do when you're having pain is to stop doing whatever is causing it.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Thorney
Uber Brawn

Training Exp: 21 months
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: deadlifts
Fav Supp: steak
Thorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributorThorney is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
"on the trot"? Sorry, I've never heard that phrase before. If you could let us know what you meant there that would be good.

In a row. As in, he squatted 5 days in a row.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Aqeel
New Brawn

Default Thank you to MAB forums

to answer as I remember.
No soreness/DOMS whatsoever.

The old technique caused me backache rite in tailbone region,most of the weight was on heels with no posterior chain development after doing squats, but the new technique has eliminated the tailbone back ache, with some juicy development in the Posterior chain region due to weight being in the middle of foot.

I shall cut down the 5 day squating to 2 day a week, with high volume only,maybe the extra squat days has cause the aches.

The new squatting technique has bought on benefits, apart a bloody ACHING KNEE.

this week will give the squatting a break, and then see if the new technique causes any trouble, if same thing happens, will go back to old technique.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Aqeel
New Brawn

thank you
Old 09-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

See, Olympic lifters and more experienced guys in general do this shit all the time. They just have people jump into the same volume they use and it destroys the new person. 5 days in a ROW? You can't just start using frequency like that if you aren't used to it. When I'm doing the high frequency version of my program I squat twice a week and deadlift once. Right now I'm only doing each once every 10-14 days.

Anyways, combining that type of frequency with a technique change is a recipe for disaster.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote