Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Mrinda87
Brawn

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
Mrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributor
Default Aching pecs? -not DOMS

Past week my pecs have had an achey throbbing feel to them. Not your typical sore to the touch doms feeling. Stretching feels good but does not make the aching go away...is this just a typical overuse kind of sign?..have had the same kind if ache in wrists and joints before..kind of a new feeling in the chest area though .I guess sore pec joints? Is that possible? Lol...or maybe just tight pecs from training my pause bench hard. I worked through it and it doesn't bother me during training at all but a couple hours after it comes back again. Should I rest it or keep training?
Mrinda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Is it focused in the muscle or towards the shoulder? is the muscle itself pumped up and soft to the touch? Has your strength been effected?

Most overuse issues come in the joints, like you mentioned. It MIGHT be a mild case of rhabdomyalisis if you've been training your chest hard, but I believe that should result in a noticeable loss of strength. If it's tendonitis you'd bee feeling it more towards the shoulder.

Overtraining is a sytemic problem that doesn't effect single muscles, so that's a no go.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Mrinda87
Brawn

Fav Exercise: Overhead press
Mrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributorMrinda87 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Is it focused in the muscle or towards the shoulder? is the muscle itself pumped up and soft to the touch? Has your strength been effected?

Most overuse issues come in the joints, like you mentioned. It MIGHT be a mild case of rhabdomyalisis if you've been training your chest hard, but I believe that should result in a noticeable loss of strength. If it's tendonitis you'd bee feeling it more towards the shoulder.

Overtraining is a sytemic problem that doesn't effect single muscles, so that's a no go.
It's just the pecs pretty much. They are tender to the touch if if I massage them but it's a more dull throbbing aching then your typical doms. They're the most tender towards the upper outer portions. I've noticed no strength loss this week.
Mrinda87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrinda87 View Post
It's just the pecs pretty much. They are tender to the touch if if I massage them but it's a more dull throbbing aching then your typical doms. They're the most tender towards the upper outer portions. I've noticed no strength loss this week.
There you go. The upper outer portion of the pecs is where the muscle connects to the tendon. You probably have tendonitis from the extra use. It doesn't effect you during training because you're warmed up. Infalmation is best dealt with by using RICE- rest, ice, compression, elevation. The second 2 are going to be tough with the chest, so take a week or so and don't do anything that involves your chest like pressing (even OHPs involve the chest so don't do those either) to get rest, and toss some ice in a couple bags every evening and hold it to the aching areas.

Don't put ice directly on the skin, and wrap the bag in a thin towel or paper towel if it's not fairly thick.

Anti-inflamatories should usually be avoided when strength training, EXCEPT when you're dealing with acute inflamation, which you are. If it's effecting your life then use some Ibuprofen just to deal with the pain. If it isn't than just stick to ice and rest.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote