Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Charles Poliquin, Strength & Deloading

An interesting quote I found…

Charles Poliquin stated that those lifters under his supervision gained strength an average of 57% faster when they de-loaded/unloaded every third workout.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I can see that as being true. It fits in perfectly with much of what we have talked about in regrds to HLM cycling. I think it also fits very well with that A/B split, and having a mid week being a light day.

Break it down to a visual:

When you use a battering ram, you don't just push on an unmoveable object. You take a run at it, hit it, then back off and run at it again. Same thing with building your body.

Hit it, back off, then run at it, and hit it again.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I might have to start cycling in de-load days. Maybe just de-load the reps and not the weight. We'll see how next week's bench session goes.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
An interesting quote I found…

Charles Poliquin stated that those lifters under his supervision gained strength an average of 57% faster when they de-loaded/unloaded every third workout.
Just so that I am clear, if somebody has a max of 155 lbs for OH press, a good way to go for him would be -

workout 1 - work up to singles of 150
workout 2 - work up to 155 and take a shot at 160
workout 3 - back down, may be to triples with 125

repeat the above cycle.

Is this what he means?

On a similar note, I believe Jim Wendler has the 4th week (or 4th workout for each movement) as a deload in the 5/3/1 program.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

I read the above post but don't really understand deloading. If someone could clarify how to deload that would be great.
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
MattB
Brawn
Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
I read the above post but don't really understand deloading. If someone could clarify how to deload that would be great.
Their are a couple of ways to go about deloading. The majority of people will cut back on the weight used and not train to failure. This gives your joints,tendons,cns,etc time to recover and have a break. You are still in the gym using enough weight to where muscle loss is not an issue. Here is what I like doing for my power/strength workouts
week 1: 90% of rep range max(Normally 5 rep max)
week 2: set a new PR
week 3: deload (75-80% focus on form and speed)
rinse and repeat

Sometimes I will extend it to 4 weeks if i'm feel I can still do better. As far as volume or a typical bodybuilding workout, I suggest cutting your volume in half and not training to failure(Maybe stop 1-2 reps shy of failure). I will normally do this every 6-8 weeks.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
CallmeKing
Max Brawn
Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38 Points: 3,800, Level: 38
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

CallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributorCallmeKing is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Their are a couple of ways to go about deloading. The majority of people will cut back on the weight used and not train to failure. This gives your joints,tendons,cns,etc time to recover and have a break. You are still in the gym using enough weight to where muscle loss is not an issue. Here is what I like doing for my power/strength workouts
week 1: 90% of rep range max(Normally 5 rep max)
week 2: set a new PR
week 3: deload (75-80% focus on form and speed)
rinse and repeat

Sometimes I will extend it to 4 weeks if i'm feel I can still do better. As far as volume or a typical bodybuilding workout, I suggest cutting your volume in half and not training to failure(Maybe stop 1-2 reps shy of failure). I will normally do this every 6-8 weeks.
Gotcha thanks man. Would you deload on all your lifts?
CallmeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
MattB
Brawn
Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19 Points: 1,230, Level: 19
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

MattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributorMattB is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeKing View Post
Gotcha thanks man. Would you deload on all your lifts?
Yes I do.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
onetiredkris
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

God I am deloading this week.......I cant stand being in the gym and not going nuts =\

Its a necessary evil on the path of growth though.....
onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote