Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Charles Poliquin, Strength & Deloading (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1759)

BendtheBar 01-23-2010 11:09 AM

Charles Poliquin, Strength & Deloading
 
An interesting quote I foundů

Charles Poliquin stated that those lifters under his supervision gained strength an average of 57% faster when they de-loaded/unloaded every third workout.

glwanabe 01-23-2010 11:17 AM

I can see that as being true. It fits in perfectly with much of what we have talked about in regrds to HLM cycling. I think it also fits very well with that A/B split, and having a mid week being a light day.

Break it down to a visual:

When you use a battering ram, you don't just push on an unmoveable object. You take a run at it, hit it, then back off and run at it again. Same thing with building your body.

Hit it, back off, then run at it, and hit it again.

BendtheBar 01-23-2010 11:45 AM

I might have to start cycling in de-load days. Maybe just de-load the reps and not the weight. We'll see how next week's bench session goes.

kitarpyar 01-23-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 21308)
An interesting quote I found…

Charles Poliquin stated that those lifters under his supervision gained strength an average of 57% faster when they de-loaded/unloaded every third workout.

Just so that I am clear, if somebody has a max of 155 lbs for OH press, a good way to go for him would be -

workout 1 - work up to singles of 150
workout 2 - work up to 155 and take a shot at 160
workout 3 - back down, may be to triples with 125

repeat the above cycle.

Is this what he means?

On a similar note, I believe Jim Wendler has the 4th week (or 4th workout for each movement) as a deload in the 5/3/1 program.

CallmeKing 02-01-2010 04:51 PM

I read the above post but don't really understand deloading. If someone could clarify how to deload that would be great.

MattB 02-01-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 24295)
I read the above post but don't really understand deloading. If someone could clarify how to deload that would be great.

Their are a couple of ways to go about deloading. The majority of people will cut back on the weight used and not train to failure. This gives your joints,tendons,cns,etc time to recover and have a break. You are still in the gym using enough weight to where muscle loss is not an issue. Here is what I like doing for my power/strength workouts
week 1: 90% of rep range max(Normally 5 rep max)
week 2: set a new PR
week 3: deload (75-80% focus on form and speed)
rinse and repeat

Sometimes I will extend it to 4 weeks if i'm feel I can still do better. As far as volume or a typical bodybuilding workout, I suggest cutting your volume in half and not training to failure(Maybe stop 1-2 reps shy of failure). I will normally do this every 6-8 weeks.

CallmeKing 02-01-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattB (Post 24512)
Their are a couple of ways to go about deloading. The majority of people will cut back on the weight used and not train to failure. This gives your joints,tendons,cns,etc time to recover and have a break. You are still in the gym using enough weight to where muscle loss is not an issue. Here is what I like doing for my power/strength workouts
week 1: 90% of rep range max(Normally 5 rep max)
week 2: set a new PR
week 3: deload (75-80% focus on form and speed)
rinse and repeat

Sometimes I will extend it to 4 weeks if i'm feel I can still do better. As far as volume or a typical bodybuilding workout, I suggest cutting your volume in half and not training to failure(Maybe stop 1-2 reps shy of failure). I will normally do this every 6-8 weeks.

Gotcha thanks man. Would you deload on all your lifts?

onetiredkris 02-01-2010 10:33 PM

God I am deloading this week.......I cant stand being in the gym and not going nuts =\

Its a necessary evil on the path of growth though.....

MattB 02-02-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeKing (Post 24513)
Gotcha thanks man. Would you deload on all your lifts?

Yes I do.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.