Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!
Default EliteFTS: Price of the Platform

Worth the read http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-the-platform/

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Thanks for posting that up Ben.

For me, it validates my decision years ago, when I started lifting again, that lifting follows health, and that longevity is my goal. I'm now in my 50's and couldn't be happier or healthier. I have absolutely zero pain or tweaks and cannot wait to get out of bed each day.

I cannot imagine living the rest of my life like "Keith".
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Good point Jim. What always strikes me is when lifters look back and say, "I would have done this differently, rested longer, not went for this, deloaded, etc."

I like the intensity George Leeman puts out, but he did make a post about living in the moment and dying happy before 30. Gotta make wise choices.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
fyremn
New Brawn
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
fyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good posts

Great article...

When your young you tend to not consider what you are doing to your body... And right now there are probably young ones reading that and saying "it won't happen to me"...
fyremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
chiroman
Brawn
Points: 667, Level: 13 Points: 667, Level: 13 Points: 667, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: off and on
chiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good posts

Boy that's an interesting article. This subject is really avoided. You see it bad in football players. Everyone I talked to that is in the mid to late 30s and can't get out of bed do not think it is worth it. The wisdom segment at the end of the article is good. I totally agree the inflammatory diet along with stcking roid on top of roid frickin destroys your body.
chiroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Most everybody deserves and should have their "moment" in their chosen sport- - like the lifter in the article desiring to be the first lifter ever to squat 1000 lbs over the age of 50, or winning the championship, or what have you.

I already had mine at my first meet - squatting 405. Pulling 500 at my 3rd meet was also a moment for me. More will come, but only as my body allows.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 07-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Ive tried really hard to maintain some balance in my life. In all fairness it's not as hard because I'm not some really talented lifter who could really get on a world stage. If that was the case it might change things. I have to work my everloving ass off just to be a little stronger than the next guy. I'm happy to sacrifice some for lifting because I love it and you have to have something in your life that's just for you. That's what lifting is for me. But in 10 years? Maybe it'll be golf, or something I haven't even tried yet.

I've got a son who's going to be here in 8 weeks, and my daughter is 2. Luckily I don't have to give up much time with them to train, because that's simply not something I'm willing to do. I'm not putting myself in a situation where I have to look back and lament all the time I missed with them. Not if I don't have to. That's more important than any number, especially since in the end, numbers are fleeting. The second you rack the bar after a PR squat it turns into something you DID. For the rest of your life it will be something you DID. Being a dad isn't something I once did. It's something I'm going to be for the rest of my life.

That is FAR more important than lifting will ever be.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Ive tried really hard to maintain some balance in my life. In all fairness it's not as hard because I'm not some really talented lifter who could really get on a world stage. If that was the case it might change things. I have to work my everloving ass off just to be a little stronger than the next guy. I'm happy to sacrifice some for lifting because I love it and you have to have something in your life that's just for you. That's what lifting is for me. But in 10 years? Maybe it'll be golf, or something I haven't even tried yet.

I've got a son who's going to be here in 8 weeks, and my daughter is 2. Luckily I don't have to give up much time with them to train, because that's simply not something I'm willing to do. I'm not putting myself in a situation where I have to look back and lament all the time I missed with them. Not if I don't have to. That's more important than any number, especially since in the end, numbers are fleeting. The second you rack the bar after a PR squat it turns into something you DID. For the rest of your life it will be something you DID. Being a dad isn't something I once did. It's something I'm going to be for the rest of my life.

That is FAR more important than lifting will ever be.

Gym PR's:
Age 50
Old 07-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Most everybody deserves and should have their "moment" in their chosen sport- - like the lifter in the article desiring to be the first lifter ever to squat 1000 lbs over the age of 50, or winning the championship, or what have you.

I already had mine at my first meet - squatting 405. Pulling 500 at my 3rd meet was also a moment for me. More will come, but only as my body allows.
My entire current program is based around this. I'm already in my 30's, so I'm theoretically coming out of my prime. I'd much rather SLOWLY progress and end up winning meets as a masters lifter who's fairly healthy then try to bust my ass now and end up 45 and completely broken.

God, I'm so mature. What happened to me?

At least I still love punk rock. Just like I said I would when I was 13.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
My entire current program is based around this. I'm already in my 30's, so I'm theoretically coming out of my prime. I'd much rather SLOWLY progress and end up winning meets as a masters lifter who's fairly healthy then try to bust my ass now and end up 45 and completely broken.

God, I'm so mature. What happened to me?

At least I still love punk rock. Just like I said I would when I was 13.
Haha - I like this and I'm old lol

Gym PR's:
Age 50