Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast
Default How do ya fix this mess ? (Form Check Squat)

Hi There,

Wondering if yous could help me out with my form on the first video 180 Kg x 5 squats . It looks like I am doing a good morning down in the hole and I don't know how to stop it.

BTW, its the first video, I have no idea how I uploaded my hole play list, Sure have lost some weight though looking at the other videos.

Cheers

Last edited by skids; 07-16-2014 at 04:54 AM.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

This might help:

1) Get tighter on your set up. It's hard to really tell from this angle, and you do take some time BEFORE setting up, but take some additional time to get tight once you're under the bar. This will help keep your upper back locked and prevent it from rounding forward.

2) Get a stronger upper back. Work on some snatch grip deadlifts, pull aparts, face pulls, etc. (but my vote goes to snatch grip deadlifts).

3) You good morning out of the hole because your hips rise before your chest. This likely implies weak legs. Your legs are weak, of course relatively, compared to your lower back. Your body naturally puts itself in its strongest position, which for you is to use your back to finish the movement. Bring up your quads and legs in general by doing some highbar squats and front squats.

4) Doing a good morning out of the hole could also be just a technique/cueing thing. When you're in the hole (and really through the whole movement) think of putting your scapula into your pocket and keeping your chest up. When you're about to rebound out of the hole, think chest up, head back into the bar, and then drive with your legs.

I think the issues can mainly be mitigated through technique changes (1 and 4), but working on some accessory movements wouldn't hurt (2 and 3).

Some better squatters will probably point out some other things.
Best Total 645kg
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
MattS91
Brawn
Points: 696, Level: 13 Points: 696, Level: 13 Points: 696, Level: 13
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 10ish years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Real Food
MattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributorMattS91 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
This might help:

1) Get tighter on your set up. It's hard to really tell from this angle, and you do take some time BEFORE setting up, but take some additional time to get tight once you're under the bar. This will help keep your upper back locked and prevent it from rounding forward.

2) Get a stronger upper back. Work on some snatch grip deadlifts, pull aparts, face pulls, etc. (but my vote goes to snatch grip deadlifts).

3) You good morning out of the hole because your hips rise before your chest. This likely implies weak legs. Your legs are weak, of course relatively, compared to your lower back. Your body naturally puts itself in its strongest position, which for you is to use your back to finish the movement. Bring up your quads and legs in general by doing some highbar squats and front squats.

4) Doing a good morning out of the hole could also be just a technique/cueing thing. When you're in the hole (and really through the whole movement) think of putting your scapula into your pocket and keeping your chest up. When you're about to rebound out of the hole, think chest up, head back into the bar, and then drive with your legs.

I think the issues can mainly be mitigated through technique changes (1 and 4), but working on some accessory movements wouldn't hurt (2 and 3).

+1
You lose your form once you start to get out of the hole. Tightness would play a big part in that. I would say for accessory movements, any thing that helps you stay tight and engage your entire core. Paradox pretty much nailed it with the advice
Currently running 5/3/1
MattS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Your forward leaning right from the start of the eccentric, or way down. Look at your bar path - it is angling forward all the way down. Bar path should be mostly straight up and down. I think tightness is a big issue, along with perhaps core strength. I cannot see your head of course, but make sure you look up, way up, and keep looking at that spot throughout the squat. Keep that upper back tight. Pulling the bar down into your shoulders will also help with tightness and fixing that forward lean.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Paradox
Max Brawn
Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42 Points: 4,404, Level: 42
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: July 2011 (competition)
Training Type: Sheiko
Paradox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beastParadox is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Your forward leaning right from the start of the eccentric, or way down. Look at your bar path - it is angling forward all the way down. Bar path should be mostly straight up and down. I think tightness is a big issue, along with perhaps core strength. I cannot see your head of course, but make sure you look up, way up, and keep looking at that spot throughout the squat. Keep that upper back tight. Pulling the bar down into your shoulders will also help with tightness and fixing that forward lean.
This is also superb advice. Follow these technique cues as well.

Also, recall how I said your hips rise first because your back is stronger than your legs? This is sometimes the reason people start with a chest drop, it puts you in that same "advantageous" position. Unfortunately, your chest drop is almost purely in the upper back, so it puts you in a rounded position instead of a flat back position.

PS: If you're strong enough to squat 180x5 like that, fixing your technique and bringing up a couple lagging areas will put you to 180x10 in no time (or maybe 200 x 5!).
Best Total 645kg
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Two simple fixes

1. Keep elbows down during the transition from the bottom.

2. Squeeze upper back tight the entire time, bend the bar down with your hands, pushing shoulders into it, while spreading the chest.

Gets those accomplished and it will fix majority of the issues.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
fyremn
New Brawn
Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12 Points: 631, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Supp: Food
fyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good postsfyremn has made some good posts

I noticed as skids comes out of the hole the bar tends to twist... What causes that - is it back tightness (question because I do the same thing)???
fyremn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremn View Post
I noticed as skids comes out of the hole the bar tends to twist... What causes that - is it back tightness (question because I do the same thing)???
Could be several things.

elbow drift
lack of upper back tightness
that side knee caving in
bar placement
prob some more that just dont come to mind lol

Start with elbows being pushed down hard the whole time and it should help (mine leans as well)

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
skids
Max Brawn

skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
This might help:

[I]Yeah I'm not to sure what the weighting around was about, its not normal for me to do that. But yeah I will tighten up.[/I]

Will do

Great point. I have always thought I have week legs.

Yeah, some times it feels like my quads aren't involved in the squat, and it feels like its my hamstrings only involved, therefore when I need to start the momentum going and my quads are not working I think I lean it forward to get it moving up

Many thanks for your time and experience.

Last edited by skids; 07-16-2014 at 02:15 PM.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
skids
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS91 View Post
+1
You lose your form once you start to get out of the hole. Tightness would play a big part in that. I would say for accessory movements, any thing that helps you stay tight and engage your entire core. Paradox pretty much nailed it with the advice
Cool, Thankyou