Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Sandbox
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 28
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributor
Default Distal Bicep Rupture - Grip Advice.

Background: 52 year old / 300 lb PLr / 29 years experience.
Three injuries entire career. Last injury in Nov. '13. Detached distal tendon in right (supinated arm) on 3rd attempt deadlift (705).
I'm 31 weeks post op and entering my 20th workout session. Everything is progressing nicely. Targeting PRs in Nov.

Here's the issue: Switched to hook grip. It is obvious that anything over 500 is going to be a problem with my fat, stubby, meaty, short hands (and no Cutty - it's NOT true what they say about small hands). So, I'm abandoning the hook grip. This just won't work.
I'm going back to mixed. There are two school's of thought here - reverse the grip and use your left arm as the supinated arm. Some, including med. professionals have concluded that the uninjured arm is MORE susceptible to injury.
The next thought - which I'm leaning to - is go back to my old mixed grip with the surgically-repaired right arm supinated during the lift. The repair is normal (meaning not tight) and feels strong.
So, what is your opinion? Also, do you have any 'biceps tendon stretching' advice / routines? And please, if you know any ortho guys....ask on my behalf.

Thanks MAB.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I would keep working hook grip and then rotate mixed grips. I know a lifter with what I think is the same injury, I will ask him how he adapted to it if you like.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Sandbox
Uber Brawn

Sandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributorSandbox is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
I will ask him how he adapted to it if you like.
I'd appreciate that JB. I have four months so this is the perfect time for input.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Have you considered pulling using double overhead and Versa Gripps?

Not sure how strong your grip is, but this worked well for me dealing with carpal tunnel.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
brad1224
Max Brawn
Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46 Points: 5,286, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cake Of Chaos Champion!
brad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machinebrad1224 is a lifting machine

i personally feel safer pulling with double over hand. it take a bit to get use to but you can you more leverage when pulling back (IMO). im no powerlifter just love to deadlift. it is def harder to grip with a double over though.

***AAEFX REP***

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
Instagram: @AAEFX

http://www.aaefx.com
brad1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Sandbox
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Have you considered pulling using double overhead and Versa Gripps?

Not sure how strong your grip is, but this worked well for me dealing with carpal tunnel.
The training isn't the issue. Just looking forward to the platform. I could pull 700 mixed without grip issues then the distal tendon broke loose.
Can't hold over 500 hook....so I need to do something different. I don't think I could hold anything over 500 with double-overhand.
Did you pull your competition deads double - overhand? That's one helluva grip.

Last edited by Sandbox; 07-07-2014 at 05:53 PM.