Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How I FINALLY broke the 700lb Deadlift Barrier (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17445)

J_Byrd 07-03-2014 02:41 PM

How I FINALLY broke the 700lb Deadlift Barrier

Quote:

My deadlift has been my curse. Until recently I had pulled 650-675 every meet for 4 years! I tried everything I could think of, no lie. I pulled off the floor, from a deficit, rack pulls and got nowhere. My frustration was beyond describable. How could I squat 1000lbs multiple times in a meet and not pull 700lbs? I just could not find the answer for it.
http://www.powerrackmedia.com/how-i-...dlift-barrier/

EliteDreams 07-03-2014 03:10 PM

I like.

Squatter 07-03-2014 04:23 PM

Great read and thanks for sharing JB. I remember Steve, years ago, preaching the gospel about upper back strength, for many reasons, including deadlifts. I hated BOBR's, but found pendlay Rows, and fell in love with them. After hitting pendlays for awhile, I finally got my 500 milestone deadlift. No coincidence either.

The pendlay's also helped me get rid of a weak point - power off the floor.

For these 2 reasons, I have become the #1 fan of pendlay's. Getting better at pull ups and shrugs didn't hurt either.

EliteDreams 07-03-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squatter (Post 491771)
Great read and thanks for sharing JB. I remember Steve, years ago, preaching the gospel about upper back strength, for many reasons, including deadlifts. I hated BOBR's, but found pendlay Rows, and fell in love with them. After hitting pendlays for awhile, I finally got my 500 milestone deadlift. No coincidence either.

For these 2 reasons, I have become the #1 fan of pendlay's. Getting better at pull ups and shrugs didn't hurt either.

Im weak at lockout like JB was. Now I really need to get more back.

Paradox 07-03-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

I've been doing Pendlay rows recently. I hope I can grab some progress like you've had, Jim!

gaspers04 07-03-2014 07:45 PM

Weak off the floor, i can lockout a freight train though....

OneMorePlate 07-03-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspers04 (Post 491798)
Weak off the floor, i can lockout a freight train though....

We both can row a fair amount of weight for reps.
Doing box pulls the last 2.5" off the floor I lose over a 100lbs off my pull. Have video's pulling off box 675, 695 & 705 some sets for reps.
Hips/ Hamstrings??

Dray 07-03-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

After hitting pendlays for awhile, I finally got my 500 milestone deadlift. No coincidence either.

I've recently switched to Pendlay Rows. Liking them so far. Hopefully, they'll "carry over" to various other things, particularly deadlifts (of course, strength in general will do that, but y'know what I mean.)

And indeed, heavy shrugs and pullups/chins ftw as well.

Good article btw, JB. :) And congrats!

gaspers04 07-04-2014 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneMorePlate (Post 491800)
We both can row a fair amount of weight for reps.
Doing box pulls the last 2.5" off the floor I lose over a 100lbs off my pull. Have video's pulling off box 675, 695 & 705 some sets for reps.
Hips/ Hamstrings??

Hammies are my weak area, at least that is what I was told by a DLer recently.

Bill 07-04-2014 01:21 PM

I pulled off blocks for 10 weeks leading up to my first meet. Hit a 50lb pr and finally got 500 after years of misses