Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Geelong26
Brawn
Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts
Default Ramped vs straight sets ?

I Just switched from straight sets to ramped sets and I wanted to ask if one is better than the other for strength gains ?

at first I thought ramped sets were simply and easier option but I am finding that I can make more progress. All of bill starrs programs are ramped.

so what's better for an early intermediate/late beginner looking for rapid strength gains ?

Thanks
Geelong26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Hard to quantify IMO. Both should be utilized.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
RickH
Brawn
Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13 Points: 694, Level: 13
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Fav Exercise: Pullup/Dips
Fav Supp: Sardines
RickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good posts

I like ramped myself.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
EliteDreams
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73 Points: 12,838, Level: 73
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

If youre progressing use it until you stop progressing.

I dont like it because once you ramp up to the top set, youre using less weight than you would have gotten with a regular warmup.

I have a theory, that ramped sets may be easier to recover from because of that.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Sandbox
Max Brawn
Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29 Points: 2,325, Level: 29
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 28
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Dead Cow
Sandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machineSandbox is a lifting machine

I like warm up then straight sets (actually - straight 'set' but I don't recommend that to beginner / intermediate).

Reasoning: focusing energy and strength on the sets you will progress with.
Sandbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
BigJosh
Max Brawn

BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Just an observation, When I have spent a few months pounding away at a 1-3 rep max using ramping sets, and I switch to straight sets I can't lift nearly as much.
So how do you quantify strength? The ability of a 1 rep max or the ability of something done more than once?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
RickH
Brawn

RickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good postsRickH has made some very good posts

both, its specialization. Completely depends on your goal.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Geelong26
Brawn
Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15 Points: 806, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Geelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality postsGeelong26 has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Just an observation, When I have spent a few months pounding away at a 1-3 rep max using ramping sets, and I switch to straight sets I can't lift nearly as much.
So how do you quantify strength? The ability of a 1 rep max or the ability of something done more than once?
I was thinking about this too, I was wondering what would happen if I go back to straight sets. In other words am I just fooling myself that I am making good progress by taking an easier path ?

but I guess if Bill Starr uses ramp sets in all of his programs than they cant be too bad
Geelong26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
RickH
Brawn

as long as you are consistent you will gain strength and when you don't it could be a simple switch to temporarily change your workout and get gainz. you could cycle back and forth periodically to try and maintain the endurance part also.

I do chest 3 times per week and each day is a different rep range and style. I always do BB Bench on my 5x5 days and I alternate between Dips, Incline DB Press and BB Bench for the other 2 rep ranges. I noticed when I didn't bb bench on my 5x10@30sec rest days and then came back to it after 1 month my endurance dropped drastically. It didn't take much to get it back though.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
BigJosh
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelong26 View Post
I was thinking about this too, I was wondering what would happen if I go back to straight sets. In other words am I just fooling myself that I am making good progress by taking an easier path ?

but I guess if Bill Starr uses ramp sets in all of his programs than they cant be too bad
I feel the need to apologize to you. I may have offered very little insight while convoluting the subject.

What type of routine are you currently running? Are you running a bill starr style 3 day a week routine? Or something else?

I am assuming you are still a relative beginner, I think if that is the case you should do your routine as it is written and not worry about it. Focus on getting stronger in the rep ranges/sets that the program has laid out for you.
If you feel like progress has stalled try doing straight sets or try doing a four day upper lower split with a ramping day and a straight sets day. Bottom line is progression. In most instances, within reason, it probably doesn't matter if you progress with ramping sets or straight sets. Just do it. Until progress slows. Then maybe do the other.

Quote:
Make gains, not excuses.