Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Powerlifting training for Masters lifters (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17363)

bamazav 06-20-2014 08:04 PM

Powerlifting training for Masters lifters

Been doing a little reading lately, probably too much and now I am thinking too much. Any way, We have quite a few geezers here. Most lifting plans are written by and for 30 somethings and under. What are some plans you older guys who are powerlifting have found useful? How have you modified some of the plans out there, 5/3/1, cube, Sheiko, Smolov, etc...?

Let's help each other out.

moeheep 06-20-2014 08:38 PM

I have been following 5-3-1...BBB (5 x10 with 50%)...but with the deads, I dont follow BBB, even though deads are my favorite, thats a little too much volume for me.

I also had GREAT success running BIG for a year...added 188 lbs to my total

Sandbox 06-20-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 489438)
Most lifting plans are written by and for 30 somethings and under.

Bam - I think you've hit the nail on the head.

As we get into our 40s and 50s we most surely respond differently to the stresses of PLing. I'm into my 4th decade of PLing and hitting raw PRs in the BP & DL for what its worth.

My program has evolved over the last 4 years. Last year I was hitting a fullbody once a week but alternating heavy / light. For the last 4 months I'm following a fullbody once every 10 days. I go all out on each lift (one or less than one shy of failure). After warming up I do one set per movement. Working toward 7-9 rep work set. I'm doing about 10 sets total (Squats / Deads / RDLs / Bench / CG / BB rows / Shrugs / MP / Pinwheels / db laterals. When I get within 12 weeks from the meet I'll split the workout and remain on a 10 day rest (between movements).

I don't know what this would be labeled. 'Minimalist Dinosaur HIT Lazy' I guess. I don't push this or promote it. Works for me. Last 3 years have been my best.

One difference I see between young 'uns and geezers: Young Lifter - lift more subtract when the have to. Geezer - lift less...add when desired.

chiroman 06-20-2014 09:06 PM

I modified 5/3/1 also. I don't do an all out set on deads and only 3 sets on deads. Also, I decreased the intensity and increased the frequency. Works way better. Wish I would have done it from the start. I really haven't noticed any,difference physically. The mental side is the battle,ground. Quite reading shit.�� I have a family and a business the create stress. When I was 20 it was cheap beer and the ladies on the weekends. Good times good times.

Sandbox 06-20-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiroman (Post 489444)
20 it was cheap beer and the ladies on the weekends. Good times good times.

Falstaff? Shlitz? Strohs? Hamms? Olympia? Pabst?

moeheep 06-20-2014 09:36 PM

Hamms....born in the land of sky blue waters.....

Blatz, Iron City, Goebels....

Squatter 06-20-2014 10:00 PM

I have found most everything is written and aimed at the younger lifters. It took me awhile to figure this out after having a few burnouts lol.

Thus, I decided to go for custom, week by week, programming from JB. The mortgage is paid off, so why not.:) (not that he charges that much lol)

I have had enough of generic programming, even tho there is quality stuff out there of course.

Combine that with live coaching from the Crew on the weekends, and my JimGym weekdays, and it makes for a complete package.

This, along with my diet, is what I spend all my spare money on. Some people golf or ski or play hockey or whatever - I lift.

Sandbox 06-20-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moeheep (Post 489449)
Hamms....born in the land of sky blue waters.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83xxWCel8g

chiroman 06-21-2014 10:40 AM

Busch, beeerrrr. And keystone. Wyoming Friday nights.

moeheep 06-21-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbox (Post 489454)

NICE!