Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Raw lifters and bench shirts

I just read a comment on Charles Staley's article:

http://www.t-nation.com/powerful-wor...d-bad-and-ugly

"Dominator: @Lonnie123: One thing I can promise...no Raw lifter can throw a shirt or suit on and get 50% carryover without a lot of time training with gear."

The first time I trained in a shirt with Roger Ryan I was doing 505 to a 1-board. My meet bench at that time was 350. That's pretty close to 50%. The weight wasn't the issue, the groove was. I am pretty sure, push come to shove, I could have hit 525+ if the groove hadn't spooked me.

I have no horse in this race, but my first shirt experience was pretty close to a 50% boost. I am pretty sure if I could have trained with Roger every weekend, and wanted to bench, I would have been doing 525+ without "a lot of time training in gear." Maybe 2-3 sessions.

I understand uncertainty, and that I might not have hit 50%. I just wanted to share my only experience because of the absolute statement that was made.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-22-2014 at 01:49 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I didn't really think much of that article. To me, the gear bashing shows a completely lack of understanding about just what it takes to compete in equipment. it just makes everything 5 times harder and more complex. You don't just put a magic T shirt on and lift more weight.

Steve, I think you're a bit of an exception in this case. Not only are you an exerpeinced and knowledgable lifter, you were also with someone who really knew his stuff. It does, however, go to show you why it's best to avoid such black and white statements like this.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post

It does, however, go to show you why it's best to avoid such black and white statements like this.

I honestly didn't read the article. I just saw the comment and wanted to share my personal experience because it was such a black and white response.

Curious to see how other raw lifters did their first several times out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
chiroman
Brawn
Points: 667, Level: 13 Points: 667, Level: 13 Points: 667, Level: 13
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: off and on
chiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good postschiroman has made some very good posts

I agree with the article for the most part. Steroids in powerlifting only thing kind of loses me. Every sport is rot with roids. Powerlifting from the outside is weird looking you got a guy setting a raw record, then a single ply, then a triple ply, then a split back shirt, yak yak yak ...... when I started to get into powerlifting recently I would see these 3000 pound totals and think what the f***? And the bench on that total was more then the deadlift. Again, what the f***? I've ask equipped guys why they only lift equipped and its always complicated and defensive. I don't know why I'm genuinely asking because I don't know. I tried bench shirt one time, it probable wasn't fitted right, and definitely notice a significant difference. I was only doing reps with a weight I could handle though, I didn't try to max out. I can see were that would be more difficult.
chiroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
CODY_SNIDER
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

50% is HUGE! I'm sure there are a few guys getting 50% out of gear but the only one I can think of is Henry Thomason somewhere around 400 raw 800 shirt. I think most are doing really good to get 30-35%. Anything over about 30 definitely takes some work. Ryan Kennelly was getting about 35% to put everything in perspective
CODY_SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODY_SNIDER View Post
50% is HUGE! I'm sure there are a few guys getting 50% out of gear but the only one I can think of is Henry Thomason somewhere around 400 raw 800 shirt. I think most are doing really good to get 30-35%. Anything over about 30 definitely takes some work. Ryan Kennelly was getting about 35% to put everything in perspective
I think a 400 raw- 800 shirted is a 100% increase.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Scot Mendelson's best official equipped bench is extremely close to 150% of his best official raw bench, from what I can tell. FWIW.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
CODY_SNIDER
Cody
Max Brawn
Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31 Points: 2,673, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: The big 3
CODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributorCODY_SNIDER is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg75 View Post
I think a 400 raw- 800 shirted is a 100% increase.
That is true but he is only getting 50% out of his bench shirt total. 800*.50=400 unless I am thinking about it wrong which is very possible
CODY_SNIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
Bill
Max Brawn
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Bill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machineBill is a lifting machine

I took 465 to one board which was a 40% increase. Plenty of room in the tank. Pressed it right up no problem. I didnt go higher because I didnt have a liftoff.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Kyle Aaron
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44 Points: 4,796, Level: 44
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I didn't really think much of that article. To me, the gear bashing shows a completely lack of understanding about just what it takes to compete in equipment. it just makes everything 5 times harder and more complex. You don't just put a magic T shirt on and lift more weight.
I think of it as like formula one vs stock car racing. Yes it's the equipment, but you need a different skillset.

Formula one doesn't interest me, stock car's not bad. In either case it's a very artificial situation, a defined track to race along, but formula one's more artificial. Likewise, there's more to "strength" than squat, bench and deadlift, just focusing on those things leads to strange results as Wendler described in his intro to 531. But focusing on the equipped lifts gives stranger results still.

Most people I train don't want to race even stock cars though, they just want to be better drivers.

Joe Ladnier did an interview with Rip recently, he commented that 2-3 years of equipped lifting fucked him up. Seems like the raw lifters get 2-3 decades. Maybe I'm showing my age when I say longevity's important in what is after all only a recreational sport.