Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member
Default Sumo for conventional DLers (and vice versa)

Is it worth the effort, of getting to know "the other deadlift", if all you want is to get bigger and stronger in general, and build your current deadlifting style's max?

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions, about the value of deadlifting (conventional or sumo) for building muscle much at all, but I don't know for sure.

As for the lifts "supporting each other", I've also read some differing views there. As always. Why would you (or do you) spend time learning/practising/building your "secondary" deadlift? Or would you / do you just choose other accessory work instead?

Anyone here have the two equal or close to each other, and if so do you see one or both as a "backup" if and as needed, for competing?

Lastly, I hear (from some people) that sumo is the more technical lift of the two. True?

Last edited by Dray; 05-17-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Unless you compete, there is no extra benefit to a sumo pull. Ian King said that.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
jopp
Brawn
Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22 Points: 1,530, Level: 22
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: meat
jopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good postsjopp has made some very good posts

From my short lived experience when I increase my sumo pull my conventional went up as well. This did not happen vise versa though. When my sumo was at 425 my conventional was at 365. Once I got my conventional up to 405 I went back to sumo and made no progress. I brought my sumo up to 460 and my conventional went up to 405 for 5 reps. I am a primary sumo puller though and my leverages suit me better to some extent. I hope that helps in any way.
Age 18
Weight 184

"Living with integrity is hard but it also breads true happiness because you can go to sleep every night with a clear mind."

You need to Build, Do not test all of the time.

Sometimes your strongest attribute becomes an obstacle

Training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...026#post490026
jopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
ndrwdslv
Max Brawn
Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40 Points: 3,978, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Lactose-free Milk
ndrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machinendrwdslv is a lifting machine

I've never maxed with conventional. My sumo is 395 and my heaviest conventional is about 315.

To me, sumo is better simply for leverage. I just can't get a proper setup in conventional.

But! I do mix in conventional after my sumo work sets as accessory and to get stronger in that position (especially good for my back).
ndrwdslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Yes, work the other in no meet prep training. I pull conventional in my off season style training, and work my sumo form. Then when time for the meet I pull sumo during the training cycle. I coach people the same way, use your other during the off season training to build up weak areas.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote